Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K5 IIs vs K3 (need help)

I'm looking to upgrade from my K500 in 2-3 weeks and am somewhat perplexed. I had narrowed it down to a K5 IIs, but now that the K3 is dropping in price, I cannot not consider it. So assuming a $350-$400 delta between the 2 bodies, is there really enough difference between the K5 IIs and K3 to warrant me waiting to save up the difference? The things I'm looking for are; more dynamic range, and sharper images due to the elimination of AA. The additional MPixels (16 vs 24), really is not something I'm looking at, but the Ultrasonic sensor dust removal system on the K3 seems intriguing. I've looked at the specs side-by-side via the Camera Comparison section, but what I'm looking for is "real world" opinions, and I'm hoping you fine folks could provide key differentiating factors based on usage to help me decide.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by ripper2860; 10-11-2014 at 10:51 AM.
10-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
The things I'm looking for are; more dynamic range, and sharper images due to the elimination of AA.
That's pretty much a draw.
The additional MPixels (16 vs 24), really is not something I'm looking at,
Seems you have answered your own question.
the Ultrasonic sensor dust removal system on the K3 seems intriguing.
I might be wrong but I think that is the same as in the k-5IIs as well.

I have both k-3 and k-5IIs and prefer the k-3 for a number of reasons. But with your specifications I would go with the k-5IIs and get a nice lens.
10-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I might be wrong but I think that is the same as in the k-5IIs as well.
Wow! That was fast. You are correct. The K50 (which I quickly eliminated) did not have the Ultrasonic sensor cleaner, but the K5 IIs, does.

I have both k-3 and k-5IIs and prefer the k-3 for a number of reasons. But with your specifications I would go with the k-5IIs and get a nice lens.

If you don't mind me asking, what are the reasons you prefer the K3? Maybe you have reasons I should consider but hadn't thought about.

Thanks!!
10-11-2014, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you don't mind me asking, what are the reasons you prefer the K3? Maybe you have reasons I should consider but hadn't thought about.
K-3 is:
- faster more responsive
- I prefer the button layout on the k-3 particularly the AF button
- more pixels = more room to crop, for what I do that helps, IQ is not noticeably better
- exposure seems to be more reliable and closer to what I would want
- AF is faster and surer, not by a lot, but enough to be noticeable
- more focus points

Probably more but that's all I can think of. Really the differences are minor unless you are trying to pick a reason to get one or the other. I do find the k-3 files to be harder to PP than the k-5IIs ones, the end result is about the same but the k-3 files seem more finicky and easy to overdo things. K-5IIs seems more forgiving. But image quality on both is excellent once you have your presets done.

10-11-2014, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

K-3 is:
- faster more responsive
- I prefer the button layout on the k-3 particularly the AF button
- more pixels = more room to crop, for what I do that helps, IQ is not noticeably better
- exposure seems to be more reliable and closer to what I would want
- more focus points
To this list I would add:
  • Meter sensitivity
  • Focus peaking in magnified live view
  • AF low light sensitivity
  • Dual card slots
  • More f/2.8 focus points

Steve
10-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #6

Although I am not in the discussion yet, I am gonna give you my two cents anyway...

I made my choice at the end of Febuary when the K-3 was much more expensive than it is now. My main reason was the AF. While I am truly not a fan of the K-3's AF, it is still a noticeable improvement over the K-5 II and with the firmware upgrades out there, the K-3 is now in an area that I would consider "workable". Now I can get a reasonable amount of good shots when I go to a dancing tournament.

But even when shooting portraits, I think a good AF is often highly underrated! I tend to talk to my models, get them to laugh or do funny things naturally. Sure I can tell them to do poses and I am not above doing that. Looking back I'd say that many of the best shots I have made were not strictly posed, but quite spontaneous. If your AF doesn't work correctly in those situations, you lose. Remember that portraits are often shot relatively open, so the DoF is pretty narrow.

Now (with current firmware) I'd trust my K-3 not to let me down. In case you are wondering, I am no professional. But while it is not so absolutely vital for me making money that I get exactly that money shot, I don't want to miss the moment when the person I am shooting has a really cute smile on his or her face. And when I shoot photos of children, I can't really make them stand still.

Ok, I am going a little overboard here. What I am basicly trying to say is: AF does matter and the K-3's is better.

I have only shot with a K-5 II on a couple of occasions (I don't own one myself), but in those cases I was not thrilled by the AF and quite a few reviews on the subject seems to think the same: AF still isn't Pentax's strongest side, but the K-3 is a good step in the right direction.

Apart from the AF, the K-3 has higher resolution (although this isn't important to you) and quite a bit more responsive (at least that's what I felt). Both are built very well (apart from the battery grip) and have great image quality.

Oh, there is one thing I forgot: The gun metal version of the K-3 looks really sexy!

Regards,
Pix

---------- Post added 10-11-14 at 09:03 PM ----------

K-3 is:
- faster more responsive
- more focus points
As I was saying.

The amount of focus points however is really a non-issue (IMHO). There are more points but they are not spread out more which I find very disappointing. Especially with portraits I'd like more points to the side because moving the camera after focus with 85mm and f/2 is usually a bad idea.

Regards,
Pix
10-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm playing the same game ripper. It's a lot of little things to choose between and thankfully no bad choice is on your list

I prefer the switch setup for AE metering and having AFc/AFs on a physical switch on the IIs - but no doubt the transition would be quick going to button-dial arrangement on the K-3. Video is better supported with the K-3 if that's relevant, and more metering & focusing points or multi-autoWB could help at times. I never needed to reduce moire with my short time with the IIs but having it selectable on the K-3 could help an image now and then. The odds of one camera hitting all your best points here is low, but again you really cannot go wrong.

10-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow. A lot things to consider, but the sense I'm getting is that they are really much closer in many key areas than the specs might indicate. Now, if I could pose a few related questions ...

Assuming I go with a K5 IIs: There is Canadian retailer selling new bodies for $579.00 (USD) via eBay w/ free shipping and no customs or VAT fees if shipped to the US. They say the units are new-in-box and that they have the 1-year Pentax International Warranty (and a 2-year Canadian warranty that I assume would not apply in the US). Is there any danger in buying a US bound Pentax camera from a Canadian retailer? Will the Pentax 1yr.warranty be honored in the US or would it be invalidated?

Last edited by ripper2860; 10-11-2014 at 01:03 PM.
10-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there any danger in buying from a Canadian retailer? Will the Pentax 1yr.warranty be honored in the US or would it be invalidated?
Not sure I know the answer to that, but why don't you call B&H and see if they will match the price? And if you buy in the US always get the extra 2 year Pentax warranty for $19.95.
10-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PixelGeek Quote
The amount of focus points however is really a non-issue (IMHO).
The same is true for me generally as well. Center-only AF is my usual mode. What I have been amazed at is how well it all works when I do need the camera to track.

Steve
10-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My experience is just to say that the K3 is more responsive, in general, with regard to operation, auto focus. I can't say image quality is a whole lot different between it and a K5 II.

Wow. A lot things to consider, but the sense I'm getting is that they are really much closer in many key areas than the specs might indicate. Now, if I could pose a few related questions ...

Assuming I go with a K5 IIs: There is Canadian retailer selling new bodies for $579.00 (USD) via eBay w/ free shipping and no customs or VAT fees if shipped to the US. They say the units are new-in-box and that they have the 1-year Pentax International Warranty (and a 2-year Canadian warranty that I assume would not apply in the US). Is there any danger in buying a US bound Pentax camera from a Canadian retailer? Will the Pentax 1yr.warranty be honored in the US or would it be invalidated?
I have purchased from Canadian sellers in the past (Prodigital 2000) and have had my gear serviced under the international warranty without any problem. As far as I know there is a one year international warranty that accompanies all Pentax products (Canadians get a two year warranty, I believe).
10-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rondec--- Thank you. I'll give B&H a call to see if they'll match and give PF credit. If not, it's nice to know the warranty will still be valid (assuming an Authorized reseller).
10-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #13
Pentaxian

My decision ended - I was the only bidder on a IIs plus KatzEye plus BG4 at the G.A.S. I use a lot of manual primes so the screen update is worth it! Hopefully I won't regret the two-year extension though, and your price is a very good one; I looked at that one too. I did not expect to win as I did not go big, but I caught the site at a quiet time I guess.

G.A.S. = Global Auction Site
10-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
My decision ended - I was the only bidder on a IIs plus KatzEye plus BG4 at the G.A.S. I use a lot of manual primes so the screen update is worth it! Hopefully I won't regret the two-year extension though, and your price is a very good one; I looked at that one too. I did not expect to win as I did not go big, but I caught the site at a quiet time I guess.

G.A.S. = Global Auction Site
So that was you!!!!??? ...

I was negotiating off-line with the seller but then someone bid on it and he could no longer negotiate. I decided against moving ahead with bidding as it was right at the max I could spend (without needing a divorce attorney) and didn't want to get into a bidding war (or divorced)!! The Katz-eye was the most appealing thing as I could live without the battery grip. Congratulations. Looks like a REALLY nice and well maintained unit!!

To the Victor go the Spoils!!

Last edited by ripper2860; 10-11-2014 at 02:44 PM.
10-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would get the K-3. It is the best camera Pentax has introduced ever in the APS-C. You get the K-5II and will regret it later. The differrence in price is not all that much but the differences between the two camera is greater. You get the K-5II and you will regret it later on and likely purchase the K-3 after all. The exception would be if Pentax comes out with a full frame.