Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-r shake reduction in RAW format

Hello. My daughter is using my K-r for college classes and is being taught to shoot in RAW from the get-go. She does not have shake reduction on; in fact, the option didn't seem available when she pressed the info button last night. We were in a hurry, so I didn't have a chance to check her settings.

The instructor told them to shoot RAW, Dng, manual exposure, manual focus, set your own aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. She is shooting a lot in her dimly-lit dormitory room and says she has to push the ISO to 3200 to get a decent shot.

I don't shoot in RAW much, so I am not sure, but why is shake reduction not available with the above settings? What did I miss?

10-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote
I don't shoot in RAW much, so I am not sure, but why is shake reduction not available with the above settings? What did I miss?
It should be available. Is she using the self-timer mode or something like that? If she's using a manual lens, the focal length should be set first via the menu/at startup.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hello. The SR function can be limited, for example if timer is used, or if a manual lens is mounted and the focal length wasn't entered (should be entered as on the lens, no calculations. Nearest wider should be used, if the exact number is not available) and maybe some other choices. Best bet is to look in the Manual. The manual can also be found as a pdf online, which is great as you can put it on a smartphone, use the "search" function, highlight things,...
In dim conditions, there are a number of tools that can help. First one is a tripod and using timer (2 sec timer has automatic mirror lockup, so there are as few vibrations as possible from button pressing and mirror movement). On a tripod, SR should be disabled, because if the tripod is stable, there should be no vibrations for the SR to eliminate, so it can in fact introduce blur. Other things that can be used is a spotlight or flashes with triggers. These days, some triggers can be found for well under 50 Euro. Even flashes are not as expensive anymore. Made in China, might not last forever, but its a great learning tool.
10-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Try menu/record mode 4/

Link to camera manual:

http://c2b6d376b97bcc466063-5420c200a1f030d1394a9548df6eadbd.r5.cf2.rackcdn....n_official.pdf

Steve

10-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies; I forgot to mention that she is using the kit lens, the 18-55 DA weather resistant version. That is her only lens. I tried to explain to her how a camera naturally needs light in order to make a good photo; she is coming from using pocket-sized point-and-shoots using total automation.

Huge learning curve.

Maybe she had some unusual setting that "greyed out" the shake reduction hand icon. She has the paper manual with her; I have downloaded the PDF so that I can guide her via text messages (neither of us has a smartphone). Thanks again, everyone.
10-13-2014, 03:47 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote
Maybe she had some unusual setting that "greyed out" the shake reduction hand icon. ...
HDR turns SR on or off. See page 210 in english manual.

K-r manual