Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2014, 02:53 AM   #1

Upgrade from K-x to K-5

Due to shutter problems (namely my finger going where it just shouldn't have gone!!!) I have learned that I will probably be up for lots of $$$ to fix this issue. Soooo - I got to thinking (& eBay) & have found that for just a little more outlay I can upgrade my camera from the K-x to a K-5. Now my question is I have 3 lenses that all fit on the K-x - will they also fit on the K-5?

10-13-2014, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Yes, they will.
10-13-2014, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MelR Quote
Due to shutter problems (namely my finger going where it just shouldn't have gone!!!) I have learned that I will probably be up for lots of $$$ to fix this issue. Soooo - I got to thinking (& eBay) & have found that for just a little more outlay I can upgrade my camera from the K-x to a K-5. Now my question is I have 3 lenses that all fit on the K-x - will they also fit on the K-5?
I can't see a reason why they won't, lens mount is the same.
10-13-2014, 03:23 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you!!! I couldn't see why they wouldn't but being a novice (hence finger issue, lol) I just wanted to make sure. Now...... to eBay!!!

10-13-2014, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Before jumping into ebay, don't forget to check the marketplace here. There's one aussie selling a K5ii with battery grip as I write this.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/273318-sal...tery-grip.html

There are also many deals to be had from Adorama or BH on the K5iis with grips or flashes and other freebies. They are also practically throwing away the K50 and prices on the K3 are plummeting too. Pentax Australia may or may not match their prices too.
10-13-2014, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MelR Quote
for just a little more outlay I can upgrade my camera from the K-x to a K-5.
I'd endorse @calsan's suggestion about the K50.

After moving to a K5, I kept a K-x as backup.
When it started to develop issues,
I replaced it with a K50.

The focus peaking is great for manual focusing,
and the "anti-alias filter" is weaker than on the K5.
This might sound bad to you,
but it actually means that your pictures are sharper!
10-13-2014, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #7
Emperor and Senpai

I went Kx to K5. You will not regret it at all.
10-13-2014, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

I upgraded to a K-5 from a K-x two years ago. Though I would love the improved AF of the K-3, I see no pressing need to upgrade anytime soon. The K-5 was just that much better than the K-x, and the K-3 isn't as big of an upgrade.

10-13-2014, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

When I upgraded my KX, I went for the K-30, and have loved every minute of it. Two control wheels is great, better IQ, faster computer inside, WR (necessary for Florida weather), more buttons. It's all great. The funny thing is the IQ upgrade is probably the smallest difference. The two control wheels is amazing.

Regarding K-5 vs K-30/K-50: in my opinion, in favor of the K-30/50: Faster live view focusing, faster computer (more responsive), focus peaking. In favor of K-5: Magnesium body, rear remote eye, a few more physical buttons. The only one I'd care about is the rear remote eye. I've had a few times where I needed that. On the other hand, I use focus peaking all the time.
10-13-2014, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Regarding K-5 vs K-30/K-50: in my opinion, in favor of the K-30/50: Faster live view focusing, faster computer (more responsive), focus peaking. In favor of K-5: Magnesium body, rear remote eye, a few more physical buttons. The only one I'd care about is the rear remote eye. I've had a few times where I needed that. On the other hand, I use focus peaking all the time.
Don't forget the weight penalty of the K-5. The K-30 and K-50 are sports cars in regards to handling. The K-5, OTOH has HDMI out and top LCD. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Steve