Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Upgrade from K2000 to K50.

I'm going to upgrade from a K2000 to a K50. For less than $400.00 for a K50, it's just too tempting to put off any longer. Question concerning the K50. I read that it can be used with AA batteries with an optional device. I prefer AA batteries. Can someone please explain the optional AA battery contraption? I will preface my comment about the batteries..... I've never used anything else. Why should I consider the rechargeable battery option? What would you consider the biggest practical difference between my trusty K2000 and the K50, other than the increase in MP and ISO?

Thanks in advance,
Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

10-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
It's just a little cartridge that drops in (takes 4 AA batteries). The official Pentax is kind of expensive, so I just bought a knock off for a few bucks on eBay. Works great, just slides right in.

Here's the one I picked up:

http://www.amazon.com/DSLRKIT-D-BH109-BATTERY-HOLDER-PENTAX/dp/B00AAQXGLE
10-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Dewman, I own a k50 since 4 months ago. I use the included rechargeable battery and it is very good in my opinion (a lot of shots, including with live view use). I have bought the AA adapter, a chinese one because I think that the price of the original is a robbery, but I still didn't used it because I have never finished battery during a shooting for the moment, as I told before I am a beginner, I don't take pictures for work. For what I read, if you use good rechargeable AA batteries (e.g. panasonic), they will last long. I think another difference is the weight, the AA batteries are more heavy. I hope somehow I helped you.
10-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
It's just a little cartridge that drops in (takes 4 AA batteries). The official Pentax is kind of expensive, so I just bought a knock off for a few bucks on eBay. Works great, just slides right in.

Here's the one I picked up:

http://www.amazon.com/DSLRKIT-D-BH109-BATTERY-HOLDER-PENTAX/dp/B00AAQXGLE

Thanks for the information. Now I know.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

---------- Post added 10-13-14 at 12:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
Hi Dewman, I own a k50 since 4 months ago. I use the included rechargeable battery and it is very good in my opinion (a lot of shots, including with live view use). I have bought the AA adapter, a chinese one because I think that the price of the original is a robbery, but I still didn't used it because I have never finished battery during a shooting for the moment, as I told before I am a beginner, I don't take pictures for work. For what I read, if you use good rechargeable AA batteries (e.g. panasonic), they will last long. I think another difference is the weight, the AA batteries are more heavy. I hope somehow I helped you.

Yes, your information was of great help. Thank you.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

10-13-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Moving Up?

Hi Dewman,
The optional AA holder is reviewed under 'Accessories' (top of page), then 'Batteries + Chargers'. It's a plug-in adaptor that holds the AA's vertically, inside the (normal) LiPo receptacle. I have similar adaptors for the BG's on my K10D, K-7 and K-5. Never used them, in fact, LiPo's are much better, imo.
I guess the AA's are handy if you can't find a charger outlet, but otherwise...
The differences between the K2000(KM) and a K-50? Pretty much everything.
The K-50 has one of the best high-ISO sensors ever, same as the K-5 series, a 16MP CMOS rated at ISO 100-51,200, the K2000 has the 10.2MP CCD used in the K10D, notoriously poor above 400, full range 100-1,600. Don't get me wrong, the CCD sensor is capable of stunning images below ISO 400, but is limited in many ways.
The K-50 has Live View, Video, exchangeable viewfinder screen, W/R, shutter speeds 30s to 1/6000, two control wheels (very useful), faster fps, wider EV comp, multiple exposure capability, front/back focus correction, lens correction, DoF preview, choice of AA or LiPo power.
The K2000 has none of the above and it's 4 years older in technology and features.
It's a no-brainer, but I'd hang onto any decent body like the K2000 or K10D, just for the CCD sensor and low-ISO performance.
Again, only my two cents worth!
Ron
10-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hi Dewman,
The optional AA holder is reviewed under 'Accessories' (top of page), then 'Batteries + Chargers'. It's a plug-in adaptor that holds the AA's vertically, inside the (normal) LiPo receptacle. I have similar adaptors for the BG's on my K10D, K-7 and K-5. Never used them, in fact, LiPo's are much better, imo.
I guess the AA's are handy if you can't find a charger outlet, but otherwise...
The differences between the K2000(KM) and a K-50? Pretty much everything.
The K-50 has one of the best high-ISO sensors ever, same as the K-5 series, a 16MP CMOS rated at ISO 100-51,200, the K2000 has the 10.2MP CCD used in the K10D, notoriously poor above 400, full range 100-1,600. Don't get me wrong, the CCD sensor is capable of stunning images below ISO 400, but is limited in many ways.
The K-50 has Live View, Video, exchangeable viewfinder screen, W/R, shutter speeds 30s to 1/6000, two control wheels (very useful), faster fps, wider EV comp, multiple exposure capability, front/back focus correction, lens correction, DoF preview, choice of AA or LiPo power.
The K2000 has none of the above and it's 4 years older in technology and features.
It's a no-brainer, but I'd hang onto any decent body like the K2000 or K10D, just for the CCD sensor and low-ISO performance.
Again, only my two cents worth!
Ron

Ron, I guess I'm confused about the battery. I see the big thing hung under the body and I just don't think that's something I'd like. I think I'm confusing it with the rechargeable batteries. They go inside the body, NOT underneath in the "grip" thingy, right? If that's the case, I have no problem with using the rechargeable ones. I just don't want to HAVE to use the "grip" battery gizmo. As far as shooting video, I've never tried it. Back in the day, I used to shoot quite a bit of super 8 movie film, but that's about it. Not to say I wouldn't ever give it a try. I actually might like it. I know first hand what you're referring to about the high noise level above ISO 400. Once in a while, I'll go up to 800, but only when the light or lens being used dictates so. I can't imagine having an ISO of 52,000! That's INSANE! It means a person could almost shoot in total darkness..... or at least candlelight, eh?

Yep, the K50 is going to be quite a jump, but I'm anxious. My only problem is, I'm an old dog and new trick don't come easy for me! Heck, I'm still learning the ins and outs of the K2000 and I've had it for a little over two years! But, I've learned a lot of it's limitations and I'm ready to move on.

One more question..... what are your thoughts about the colored bodies? They are offered in black, white or red. I'm leaning toward white, but..... ???

Thanks for your information. It helps greatly.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
10-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No Grip?

Hi Dewman,
Yes, it sounds like you're mixing a battery adaptor (fits inside the body but holds a different battery configuration) with a battery grip.

The adaptor doesn't change the body form or size, just allows different types of batteries to be used. That's what is available for the K-50, the D-BH109AA.

A battery grip is a formed plastic housing that mounts under the camera, making it larger, 'taller' and heavier. It holds an additional battery, providing the user with twice as much useable power and shooting time. Most grips are made for the same (LiPo) battery as the camera, but also provide an AA adaptor.

There is no battery grip available for the K-50 or any lower-priced DSLRs (generally), they are mainly for the flagship or higher-priced bodies like K-5 or K-3.

Colors? You're on your own there, buddy! Every SLR and DSLR I own is solid black. I don't mind the colored bodies, but they're not my cup of tea.
Good luck!
Ron

10-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-50/30 don't support an extra grip, so the batteries are just inside the body. It's pretty compact and doesn't weigh significantly more than my K-x. I will say that the image quality has felt grainier in Lr, but I haven't have my K-30 for very long, so maybe I'm missing something. The red and white both look great.

All those features do mean a lot more to learn, but you don't have to learn it all at once. Also: check out the manual online and the in-depth review the PF staff posts, it has some great recommended settings.
10-13-2014, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've got a boat load of questions about all the features the K50 has over my K2000, but rather than bother you guys with them, I'll just keep digging through previous posts and the reviews and see if I can decipher the info to my satisfaction. I didn't have a clue what "focus peaking" was, but I just finished reading a little on it and it sounds like the cat's pajamas. My eyesight leaves a lot to be desired and it seems as if the viewfinder is replaceable on the K50. I'd LOVE to have a split-image type. That would make things SO much easier. I use auto-focus once in a while, but prefer to manually focus most of the time. I'm funny like that. I also shoot in manual mode most of the time. I like "being in charge," I guess! Plus, I get tired of the lens hunting for a focus point a lot of the time. It's irritating and I've found it easier to just manually focus. I suppose the fact that many of the lenses I like to use are the older manual focus type, so it works for me.

Thanks again for all the great information.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
10-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Something I really enjoyed when I switched up was how bright the viewfinder is, that is not just the scene, but all of the settings visible from the viewfinder as well (including the level).
10-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Let me ask this. With my K2000, I have learned NOT to shoot with an ISO above 400 if at all possible. I can get away with 800 once in a while. With the K50, how high of an ISO rating can I shoot at and NOT have very much objectionable noise?

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
10-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got my brother a red K-r, and I thought the best batter option was the lithium rechargeable that came with the camera. He and a lot of people prefer the AAs instead - more shots between charging. I'm not sure whether that carries on to the K-50. I talked him into red, which he likes now.

The ISO difference will impress you. It has secondary benefits because you can use modes that might raise ISO automatically, like TAv, without a big noise problem. The sensor also maintains excellent dynamic range at higher ISOs. That makes low-light photos look a lot better with the same exposure as you might have used with the K2000. The rear LCD is a lot better resolution, so live view and reviewing shots is better. You get a second dial, which makes Manual mode a lot easier than a one-dial camera.

Here is the dynamic range difference I found between my K-7 and K-5 IIs. The K-7 isn't the same as your K2000, it has a 14Mp sensor. The K-5 IIs sensor is similar to the K-50 sensor except no anti-aliasing filter. I shot both these photos from a tripod, same lens , same settings. Both are at ISO6400. It's the maximum for the K-7 so that shot is fairly noisy. The big difference is how the K-5 IIs still has reasonable dynamic range, so the sky and shadows look normal, not extreme contrast.

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 10-13-2014 at 01:16 PM.
10-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I got my brother a red K-r, and I thought the best batter option was the lithium rechargeable that came with the camera. He and a lot of people prefer the AAs instead - more shots between charging. I'm not sure whether that carries on to the K-50. I talked him into red, which he likes now.

The ISO difference will impress you. It has secondary benefits because you can use modes that might raise ISO automatically, like TAv, without a big noise problem. The sensor also maintains excellent dynamic range at higher ISOs. That makes low-light photos look a lot better with the same exposure as you might have used with the K2000. The rear LCD is a lot better resolution, so live view and reviewing shots is better. You get a second dial, which makes Manual mode a lot easier than a one-dial camera.

So.... not to belabor this discussion, but..... do the two dials do the same thing, just in separate locations? Yes, I noticed the huge difference in resolution on the viewing screen. Something like 225K with the K2000 and 915K with the K50. That's quite significant, indeed! In live view, if I understand this correctly, you basically can look at the contemplated scene via the viewing screen? Kinda' like not having to look through the viewfinder? I suppose if the lighting conditions were O.K. that would be very helpful, but..... it WAS mentioned that the screen was much brighter, eh? So many differences. It's making me drool!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
10-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
So.... not to belabor this discussion, but..... do the two dials do the same thing, just in separate locations?
No, I use manual mode, and I've set time on one and aperture on another. Menu (a quick one) is just for ISO.
10-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can pretty much set which dials do what in each mode. For example, in M mode one dial will control the aperture and the other will control the shutter speed, but which dial does what can be customized. The live view screen is really impressive, but it's worth seeing yourself. I don't know if you'll care, but I really enjoy Composition Adjustment, it basically turns any lens into a tilt-shift by moving the sensor around.