Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
FastStone for viewing RAW files and making minor adjustments.
Lightroom for my PP, always.

11-04-2014, 12:58 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you don't like photoshop, but need something more powerful than paint shop pro, then consider using Corel Photo-Paint. It's program that comes as part of the Corel Graphics Suite. Very intuitive, and a heck of a lot cheaper than photoshop, as well as being quite powerful.
11-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't lose precious time and get Lr...
11-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with all of the above recommendations to just get Lightroom. I confess I am a bit of software collector so I have tried most of the alternatives such as DxO, Paintshop Pro, Aftershot, Photo Ninja, PerfectPhoto Suite, etc., all of which have fine features and some advantages over Lightroom but in the end it is just easier and almost always satisfactory to just work with Lightroom start to finish.

11-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I agree with all of the above recommendations to just get Lightroom. I confess I am a bit of software collector so I have tried most of the alternatives such as DxO, Paintshop Pro, Aftershot, Photo Ninja, PerfectPhoto Suite, etc., all of which have fine features and some advantages over Lightroom but in the end it is just easier and almost always satisfactory to just work with Lightroom start to finish.
Yes indeed, Lr was built with the photographer's workflow in mind... I'd say it's not an user friendly interface at first, but when you catch it, it is...
I suggest you get a crash course from someone (or training shop) to get you started... or anyways, there are TONS of video on the net that will let you learns the other advanced features
11-10-2014, 03:04 AM   #36
Pentaxian

For basic editing and working with RAW Corel Aftershot Pro is great. It's up to version 2 now. I'm currently using 1.0 on a 5yo computer with average specs (AMD dual core 3.1Ghz; 4G ram).
11-10-2014, 06:04 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

If you can still find it Zoner16 was being given away a few weeks ago. Version 17 has since appeared at normal price. It is a full featured program with some nice extras.
11-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #38

P. Soo

If you use a Mac, and are not sure about Lightroom or photoshop - you might look into Darktable. It's free - and has a lot of the functionality of lightroom (so I've read). I haven't spent much time with Lr - so I can't say for sure, but it can do a lot. I've been using it for about a year now - and I really like it. It's only for Mac and Linux users. If you do a search on this forum - you'll find several other members talking about it. I also really like Perfect Photo Suite - by OnOne. It's a lot cheaper than photoshop - especially if you catch it on sale - and is pretty user friendly (which is why I opted for it over photoshop). It can be used as a stand alone suite - or as plug-ins for photoshop, photoshop elements, and Lightroom. The Adobe products are very good and very popular - so you can't go wrong there. I just mention these as capable and inexpensive alternatives.