Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Imaging Software

I am shopping for a computer and wonder what entry level management software like LR. Also what is the latest version? My computer purchase is based around my photography, any help would be grateful. Thank You

10-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Picasa and GIMP as a starting point
10-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FastStone a free image editor very easy to use and has a few more functions than some free image editors. I use it to just view my RAW files before importing to Photoshop Elements 11; another good editor though not free.
10-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
Picasa and GIMP as a starting point
+1 for this.

Or digiKam instead of Picasa as it has a lot more features than Picasa and is also free, but it takes up quite some space on the hard disk (around 1GB if I remember correct).
And if you'd like a free and good raw converter, try RawTherapee

10-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Adobe Lightroom 5 is the latest version with six rumored to be on its way. You can get Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC for $9.99 per month using Adobe's creative cloud (CC) program.
10-13-2014, 06:31 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Get LR, Martin Evening's LR book, and be done with it. No reason to re-learn a program, change habits, and re-think your cataloging at a later date. There is good reason, however, why LR has been adopted by so many amateurs and professionals alike. It's not perfect but it works so well. Add OnOne Perfect Photo Suite at a later date and you might not ever feel the need for Photoshop.
10-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I second what Optofonik said, re-cataloging and relearning a software is a pain. Just go with LR, and treat it like an entry level software. Dont have to use all the buttons as a starter

10-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I second what Optofonik said, re-cataloging and relearning a software is a pain. Just go with LR, and treat it like an entry level software. Dont have to use all the buttons as a starter
For the power and value that it brings to the table, LR is an incredible bargain and well worth the money. I pair it with Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop Elements for more involved manipulation, but seldom need the other tools. At the core is the RAW processing and image "development" module, meaning modification of curves, colors, and contrast. If the data are there to work with, LR has the means to make the image. I won't go into details, but the PP capabilities are only part of what makes it worthwhile.

Steve
10-14-2014, 01:30 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
you can get Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC for $9.99 per month using Adobe's creative cloud (CC) program
+1, also included in that price is Lightroom Mobile.
10-14-2014, 02:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for Lightroom.
I started with Picasa, moved to PS Elements (2 versions) and then to Lightroom 5.
I could have saved a lot of time (learning and unlearning) by going straight to Lightroom!.
10-14-2014, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

+1 on all Lightroom recommendations. Does the job reasonably good, it's unobtrusive, non-destructive (doesn't touch the original files) and it's great for day-to-day workflow staying in same application (cataloging, renaming, tagging, minor touchups, exporting to web/disk). For those situations where it's not good enough, you can always fall back to other application (Pentax Photo Utility, Photoshop, Noise Ninja, you name it).
10-14-2014, 03:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can also get Corel PSP. I think they are at version XV or something like this.

I have used it as it has evolved since version 8

It can take and use most Lightroom/photoshop plug ins and is quite simple and intuitive.

The only difference but I cannot quantitify it fully is the extent of expediting features that can be done in 16 bit color space vs 8 bit
10-14-2014, 07:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Another vote for Lightroom. It's not perfect but it's damn close and, unlike photoshop, gimp, etc it's built around the specific workflow of a photographer. I recommend buying a book to help you learn it, or at least spending some time watching tutorial videos on adobes website.

There are some links to good resources for learning Lightoom in this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/2...g-started.html
10-14-2014, 08:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
FastStone a free image editor very easy to use and has a few more functions than some free image editors. I use it to just view my RAW files before importing to Photoshop Elements 11; another good editor though not free.
+1 for FastStone. I use it first to view the photos, because is very fast, and to make small adjustments. If more is needed, I use Lightroom, but not very often because the catalog system annoys me.

Another powerful and free program is RawTherapy. Much powerful than FastStone, has a lot of controls, and didn't need to create a catalog.
10-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #15
Forum Member

+1 for Lightroom. The price is well under $100 dollars US now and you can buy online from Adobe and download it directly to your computer. When and if LR6 is available, you can update it you want at a reduced price. Just remember to retain a list of all of your Adobe products with their serial numbers. You will need them when either updating or transferring to a new machine. Adobe allows you to install your product on a maximum of 2 computers, but they both must have the same operating system. If you want to switch operating systems, you have to purchase the version that applies to the new machine i.e. going from Windows to MAC or vice versa.

Jay