Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #16

Original Poster
Thanks for a;; the help guys. I had bought one like you described last week. In fact, I've bought several from Japan and the one you guys told me to get is coming in today.

10-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

One word of advice, If you only have one lens, remove the spring clip On the side of the adapter. This will allow it to be tightened onto the lens itself, and make it easier to use. Make sure you save the spring clip and screw, Don't lose it. I have several of these adapters, Each on a lens. And it's rare that I need to removed the adapter.
10-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you bought a genuine Pentax Adapter K don't remove the spring clip. To do so is like a sacrilege.
10-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #19

Original Poster
I got in my adapter from Japan and now I have another question. How does it work?

The circle part screws to my lens but then it won't attach to the camera. I have no idea what this long piece is for or how to assembly this. Am I the dumbest individual alive or has anyone else run into this?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
10-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The first thing you will ant to do is remove the spring clip.

Then go to YouTube and search for using an M42 adapter with a Pentax camera.

For example...

The extra tool is for removing the adapter. You won't need it if you remove the spring clip.
10-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #21

Original Poster
Bless you my son! Thanks a loit!
10-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Even though it is easier to remove the spring and then attach the adapter to the lens, it is actually designed for the adapter to go into the mount of camera body and stay there (locked in by the spring clip) and then you can screw and unscrew m42 lenses like it was a native m42 body. So it is really a camera adapter, not a lens adapter. If you had a bought a genuine Pentax adapter of the same type, you would leave the spring clip in and use it as I just described, but these generic ones are just a nightmare to try to remove from the camera so that's why we always say "remove the spring first thing"...
10-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #23

Original Poster
IT'S ALIVEEEEE! IT'S WORKING. YEA! Thanks for taking part of your time to help an old soldier who has a lot to learn. Thanks again!

10-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #24
Veteran Member

First of all I'm glad you have it straightened out.

Just so you know, I have been dealing with Pentax M42 adapters for nearly 40 years. for me the spring clip is just a nuisance. I bought my M42 adapters back in the late 70s. Back then the only thing I could get was the Pentax adapters. I was constantly having to either install or remove the adapter when I changed lenses, And in those days the adapter did not come with a wrench. It was way too hard to get the lens adapter off the camera, so I could put on a K mount lens. After I removed the spring clip and placed the adapter on the lens, The change from lens to lens became a lot easier. Yes I know why the spring clip is there. Although there are some lenses that do not allow you to do this because of the way they are made, You should have no problem with most lenses.

Note: if you remove the spring clip, use a K mount lens cap to tighten the adapter to the lens.
10-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
Note: if you remove the spring clip, use a K mount lens cap to tighten the adapter to the lens.
Also note that there is nothing but friction holding the lens in place when the spring is removed. Removal of the spring clip is only really needed with the 3rd-party (non Pentax brand) adapters and the reason you do it on those is to avoid the adapter becoming stuck on the body. It is not a matter of convenience.* The 3rd-party adapters are poorly designed/machined and are very prone to being unremovable.

With the Genuine Pentax adapter, I would strongly suggest NOT removing the spring clip. The reason is that the genuine adapter is loose in the mount by design and even a slight backing off of the lens thread will result in the lens being more likely to fall off the camera with the spring clip removed. The genuine adapter is VERY easy to remove from the body and does not require any tools, only a fingernail.

Steve

* I own two of the genuine adapters and used to own a third-party adapter purchased from a major online camera store. The third-party adapter featured inferior machining and (most importantly) became stuck on my camera. When I finally got it off, I found metal flakes on my camera's mirror. No more cheap adapters for me. YMMV