Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #1

Pentax K5 top Mode Dial Stuck

Hey everyone, I haven't used my camera in a while now, but I need it for an event and after testing it out, it seems my Mode Dials are not working properly. When I spin the dial on the top it will scroll through various modes, but skips some, and is misaligned with others. For instance, I will switch to Video, and it will stay on the Green button, or I will switch to TAv, and it will be on M.

I have tried spinning it while off/on to see if I can "brush the dust off" if that is the issue, but had no luck. Also tried with the stock Lens, and Auto ISO off, among other things, but the dial is still acting up.

I am unfortunately outside the return period, but I have never dropped this camera, used it in rain, or any harsh conditions, so I am not sure what's going on. I was reading around and heard there is a fix to repair the contacts which may not actually be getting contact, but could not find the thread/post which describes How to do this. Can anyone point me in the right direction if this is what is needed?

10-15-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most posts relate to the control wheels on the grip side not working properly and a fix using contact cleaner.
I guess you could try it on the mode dial?
Here are a couple of threads: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/152467-back-control-dial-not-working.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/273593-s...t-working.html
10-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
Ah... seems a reset did the trick. All functions back to normal now!
05-26-2015, 11:18 AM   #4

Original Poster
Actually, turns out the reset didn't work. It temporarily let me access the M and green button on the dial but I went to use the camera again recently and the mode dial is still glitching and will not let me access video mode at all. Multiple resets didn't work.

Also tried to remove battery for extended periods, update FW, etc, and nothing has solved it.

Does anyone have a video or guide on disassembly of the K5, or any idea which screw to start on in order to get to the mode dial on top? The camera is practically new, but unfortunately out of warranty.