Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2014, 06:49 AM   #1

Camera sees photos but computer doesn't

Hi, all:

I'm having a problem with my KX.

I shot a number of photos today, and I can view them on the camera but when I transfer the SD card to my computer, it doesn't see them. This problem is new to me- I've never had any difficulty downloading from an Sd card before.

Is it possible the camera is suddenly saving photos to its own internal memory, rather than the SD card? If so, I have two questions:

- How can I save them from internal memory to the SD card?
- What setting might have changed to cause this, and how do I find it to change it back?

I generally love this camera, but on days like this I wish I could buy film for my KMs and K-1000s...

Thanks in advance!

Steve Hunter

10-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you say the computer can't see them. Do you mean that you can't see them with Explorer or because your Windows Photo application can't see the pictures. if the later, check to see if your camera is saving the photo as a Raw file instead of a jpeg or other picture format. Windows Photo application doesn't recognize Raw files.
10-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

^ After doing that and they are JPGS, and still not able to see them, instead of removing the card from the camera, try and connect the camera to the computer and transfer the files that way.
10-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Check and see if your card reader and or USB ports are listed in My Computer or device manager. There is a MS update that kills some USB connections. Solution I found was to reinstall the USB drivers latest update for the MOBO. Good Luck.

10-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi:

Yes, the computer is seeing other folders and photos on the card. I went through them all to be sure they weren't saved into an old folder.

All these photos are jpegs, so there is no excuse for the photos not showing up when I look at the card- they must have been saved to internal memory in the camera somehow.

I'll have to dig out the cord and software that came with the camera... never had to use them before this lunacy.

Thanks, all!

Steve
10-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wait a minute, K-x don't have any internal memory for pics right?
Must be your computer that's at fault.
10-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It could be a problem with the write-protected tab on the SD card while you inserted it into the SD reader slot on the computer. Examine carefully if that tab can be moved easily while inserting into the camera slot and repeat the same on the computer.... just a thought anyway.....

10-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Shouldn't be the write protect, that should just protect against writing, not reading.

I agree with the advice to attach the camera to the computer and see what happens.

As others have mentioned, there is no internal memory in Pentax cameras.
10-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #9

Are you using a Windows PC or a Mac?

Is it a built-in card reader slot or an add-on card reader via USB? If the latter, try pluging the reader into a different USB port.

Does the card show up at all as a drive when you put in the card reader? Is there a DCIM folder on the drive if it shows up? Your photos should be in folders inside the DCIM folder.
10-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hi, all:

OK, I installed the Pentax software and plugged the camera in and was able to retrieve these photos.

It's very strange. The computer is reading the SD card with no "apparent" problem. It sees the DCIM folder and several folders shot before yesterday and all the photos in them. I haven't taken any photos today, but when I do I'll see if it's still being cranky.

My wife's computer and my daughter's computers can't see them either.

Through the Pentax software/ plugin, everything shows up. Very strange.

If the KX has no internal memory, it just gets stranger- these are jpegs, so how is it writing files to the AD card that the computer can't find. Between my wife and I, we have four digital Pentax cameras that see pretty heavy use. Until now, neither of us has ever had to install the Pentax software or use the cable.

Something seems buggy, but the main thing is that I was able to get the photos of the camera.

Thanks, all!

Steve
10-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Try formatting the card in the camera. Sometimes they get a little bit goofy if you just delete files and not format the card after.

Make sure you have the pics you want to keep saved first.
10-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #12

Make sure you copy everything off the card on to a hard drive and try a chkdsk (windows) on the card. If it finds any errors eject the card properly (safely remove hardware in windows). Remount the card and run chkdisk with the fix option. See if the files now show up. And test if new photos are now recognized.

Or format the card in the camera. All you files will "disappear" but they can (mostly) be recovered with a program like Photorec.

Better still is download SDFormatter for the appropriate OS and format the card with Full Erase - this will wipe all you data from the card but will refresh all the logical file structures on the card.

Most people call this a low level format but technically a low level format is done at the hardware level through the hardware controller. Done outside the factory a true low-level format can take hours. The in camera and Quick format will only re-write the Master File Table and not actually wipe the data or re-write the logical file structures.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
10-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Forest and trees.

Get the pics. Trash the card.
10-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Forest and trees.

Get the pics. Trash the card.
Best advice. Nothing worst than an unreliable memory card.

Burt before doing so, make sure the problem is with the card (not the computer). If it is, the problem will show in every computer the card is plugged in for file retrieval. If its the computer, then it will happen only with this card and not with other cards. If it happens with all the your cards, then is a problem withing the computer itself, which may well be a software bug or need for a new card reader.
10-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #15

Did you check if the new file folder is became hidden?

Under Windows 7, file explorer->Organize->Folder & search Options->view check the "Show hidden files, folders or drives".

Not sure if the camera has capability to set folder/file as hidden but just a possibility.