Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Cactus V6

I have a V6 and a RF60 and have used and very happy with build etc. I also have a Metz52-AF-1 sounds like I need to buy a V6 Transceiver and profile V6 to the M52? I shoot outdoor and just starting off camera flash etc. Would like to do some HSS etc. Have read all the manuels, just need some help. Any help would be grateful, thanks again.

10-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter

The cactus v6 review from this site might help some, if you have not seen it already.

Review: Cactus V6 - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
10-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Due to the way Pentax chose to implement High Speed Sync, the camera requires a HSS flash unit to be in contact with the camera's hot shoe. The camera simply will not fire at speeds above 1/180th without it. This means that your Metz 52 will have to be on the hotshoe, (or possible on a V6 attached to the hotshoe with pass-through enabled), because the RF60s are strictly manual flashguns.

The V6s do not transmit pTTL data, so technically, they do not support real HSS. They do however have a mode that Cactus calls "Sympathetic HSS" or something similar. The ideas is the RF60s or a V6 receiver sees the preflash, then waits a certain number of milliseconds and begins to pulse the strobe very rapidly as the shutter curtains begin to move, just like HSS would normally do. There is a setting that lets you adjust the delay, which may be necessary depending on your shutter speed.

I've been meaning to try this function, but haven't gotten the chance yet. Perhaps someone else can provide further insight.
10-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
The cactus v6 review from this site might help some, if you have not seen it already.

Review: Cactus V6 - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Thanks, will go back over again. Hope it sinks in at some point

10-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Storm Chaser Quote
I have a V6 and a RF60 and have used and very happy with build etc. I also have a Metz52-AF-1 sounds like I need to buy a V6 Transceiver and profile V6 to the M52? I shoot outdoor and just starting off camera flash etc. Would like to do some HSS etc. Have read all the manuels, just need some help. Any help would be grateful, thanks again.
I have the Metz 52 AF-1 and the V6 nd a couple of RF60s. The 52/V6 combo does not work for power control. I emailed Cactus to see if they were going to update the firmware so that the Metz 52 works with the V6. Their answer was vague. I took it as if it is not going to happen. That is the main reason I have my Metz 52 up for sale on the forum. You can remote trigger the Metz with the V6 but you will not be able to control the power settings.

I tried the learning function and the V6 said that it does not support the Metz 52.

I would like to know if anyone has a solution for the Metz 52 AF-1 and Cactus V6 combo.

It is odd that the V6 supports the Metz 52 in Canon mount but not Pentax!
10-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For simply firing a flash such as the Metz, the V6 transmitter will also work with a less expensive V5 receiver, but no control over remote power output
10-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #7

Original Poster
maxfied_photo, thanks great information, one problem down. Did not know M52 had to be on camera and will look into "Sympathetic" HSS. Once I figure it out, I really I'am looking forward to learning the art of off camera lighting. Thank You

---------- Post added 10-16-14 at 12:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I have the Metz 52 AF-1 and the V6 nd a couple of RF60s. The 52/V6 combo does not work for power control. I emailed Cactus to see if they were going to update the firmware so that the Metz 52 works with the V6. Their answer was vague. I took it as if it is not going to happen. That is the main reason I have my Metz 52 up for sale on the forum. You can remote trigger the Metz with the V6 but you will not be able to control the power settings.

I tried the learning function and the V6 said that it does not support the Metz 52.

I would like to know if anyone has a solution for the Metz 52 AF-1 and Cactus V6 combo.

It is odd that the V6 supports the Metz 52 in Canon mount but not Pentax!
I Should have spent couple more bucks,got the 58AF-2 good buy since flagship flashhead came out.

---------- Post added 10-16-14 at 12:24 PM ----------

btnapa thanks great info, should have bought the M58-AF2 price has been reduced since introduction to their new flagship flash head.
10-16-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I had emailed Cactus a while ago (end of May 2014) in regards of this and they do not have solution ready. I had somewhere tread about it and I have also email correspondence with Cactus as well. They will not add Metz 52 for Pentax to pre-set flashes.

The other thing that I have with Metz 52 is firing by itself when in HSS mode but good news is that I exchanged emails with Metz Germany and they will develop another firmware to resolve the issue. After I explained everything, first they were not able to replicate the issue but when we went into detail with used settings etc. than they were able to replicate the issue I had and forwarded our email correspondence to development team (Dankeshoen Wolfgang Becker! Vielleicht verfolgen sie das forum) to develop new firmware in this matter.

Anyway first you will have issues with Catus V6 but than you might have also HSS bug I had. The only solution I find is to use other triggers but didn't get them yet. As long as I purchase those I can report if it is all working properly.

Hope this will help.

BTW - I used Metz 52 in regular P-TTL mode and is excellent, only what I was missing is a connection for external power pack.

Last edited by RAART; 10-16-2014 at 11:09 PM.