Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

Help regarding eyeglasses and viewfinder

Hello Pentaxians.

While my camera is a K-50, I thought this sub-forum might be best.

I am left eye dominant, and wear glasses. I find it difficult to see the entire view within the viewfinder. As well, my right thumb and nose are competing for button use on the camera back. I am a newb, and wonder if there is something out there that might allow me to comfortably remedy that. I realize there is a lovely LCD screen (when there aren't any nose prints all over it), but prefer the viewfinder. Extensions? I obviously have no idea.

10-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Decent eye relief is an issue for all us visually-impaired types who use (D)SLRs. I use my naked eye (mostly my right, but I often find it easier to use my left eye for some shots) to frame using the viewfinder, though I've added a Tenpa (search on eBay) magnifier, which increases the image size (at some slight loss of brightness, which is so small it doesn't worry me) and which provides a nice eyecup to black out stray light, as well as getting my nose a bit further away from the back of the camera. Obviously, I have to use dioptre adjustment to compensate for my myopia, but I do wonder if the range of adjustment is enough for others.
10-16-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Seems that there is currently one on ebay for about $42, says it's for K-100D K-200D K-m K-x K-r, but details show teh K-50. Tempting at $42. May have to smooth over the wife a bit, but....
10-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter

I use an optical viewfinder: Usually a 40mm (FF lens equiv.Field of view) unit. I do it because it gives me a much quicker view and I can keep both eyes open when I use it. But it would allow a greater eye relief (I use eyeglasses) and as it sits above the camera it would likely keep your face of the rear of the camera. I also have a 50mm one and depending on the lens I use I pick one.

The disadvantage is the field of view is likely not the same as the lens/camera combination--but you can look through the camera viewfinder and compare it to what the optical viewfinder has. The advantage is it is so fast to frame the shot.

If you use AF it is not a problem. And if you use zone focusing (look at lens and set it to a distance) it is also not a problem. If you use manual lenses and focus through the lens--then it is less convenient.

The brand I uses are voigtlander and they are typically new about $200 (and used around $100). There are units that cover maybe 15 mm to 75 mm (FF lens equiv.Field of view). But wider ones (below 40 mm equivalent) tend to have magnification well below 1, so they are hard to use w/ both eyes open. Also there are some that are adjustable but these have less magnification and likely less eye relief--and likely would not be good for your situation.

10-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter

If you want to read some more/see the optical finders--the voigtlander ones are advertised at/through the following. www.cameraquest.com/voigtacc.htm
10-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Using your left eye means your right thumb would have trouble getting to some of the controls! (You could do yourself an injury to your nose, I imagine. And if you had a huge honker, you could inadvertently press controls!)
On a serious note, I used to remove my spectacles and rely on the dioptre adjustment. I found removing & retrieving the specs too frustrating. I now just press spectacles hard against the eyepiece so I can see all the image and the exposure details in the viewfinder. (Periodically need to unsmear both LCD and spectacles.)
For some reason, at one stage, I thought an accessory eyecup would help: I found I couldn't see all the image/exposure details and threw it to the back of the cupboard
Hope you find a solution
10-16-2014, 09:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

An accessory eyecup on its own doesn't actually move your face further back from the camera, whereas the magnifier does, by a couple of centimetres, which is enough to comfortably reduce the amount of neck-twisting involved, not to mention reducing the amount of interference with controls, no matter what size your nose...
10-16-2014, 11:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Ah yes. Now I remember; It was specs AND eyecup that made it impossible to see all in the viewfinder!

10-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the K-50 & K-3, I use the O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier. It extends the eye-piece just far enough that I'm not adjusting white-balance with my nose while composing. I just push my glasses up and rely on the dioptric correction adjustment in the view-finder. Finding a way to push up my glasses while wearing a floppy hat has proven to be the biggest portion of the challenge.
10-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just looked at my last prescription.

Sphere Cyl Axis Add
OD +4.50 -1.00 020 +2.25
OS +3.75 -1.50 165 +2.25

Maybe my viewfinder issues aren't easily solvable by a viewfinder magnifier. :-)
10-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dioptric Correction in the K-50 viewfinder goes from -3 to +3. Adjust the slider above the eye-piece until you can see the focus screen clearly.
The O-ME53 magnifier has a cut-out in its rubber to accommodate the slider. It does not provide any dioptric correction. It provides some magnification to aid in critical focusing, but mostly it just extends the eye-piece.
Other add-on dioptric correction is available. I tried one of the "Nikon-style" (circular) eye-pieces with both magnification and dioptric correction built in. The selection of rubber eye-cups was good and it was sufficiently adjustable by screwing in-or-out its rear optic, but it had no way to lock the adjustment in. Every time I looked through it, I had to re-adjust.
After that, contact lenses and/or Live View.
10-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Schick
I too am afflicted with almost the same visual issues with respect to visual correction (progressive bi-focal) and left eye dominance as you.
Over many years I've found a comfortable position to hold and balance the the body of my K100D and K500 cameras in the palm of my left hand between the base of the thumb and little finger. With the camera supported in this way I'm able to adjust the zoom on the lens with my left thumb and forefinger. I place my right thumb on the back right side of the camera with my right forefinger on the shutter button.
I then hold the boot of the eyepiece near the top of the left lens on my glasses and angle the camera so I can see through the viewfinder and there is enough room to fit my right thumb between my nose and the camera dial.
If after test focusing the camera what I see through the viewfinder is out of focus I adjust the diopter on the viewfinder to compensate.
I also spoke to my optician and he made minor adjustments to my left lens to aid me in my ability to use the viewfinder of the camera with my glasses
Hope this helps

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 10-19-2014 at 05:42 PM.