Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Inactive Account

what should I do?

Hello All - Yes, I'm a novice, although one of these cameras used to be mine.

We have a Pentax MX, black body, with lots of accessories; a Pentax ME, black body, Pentax 35 AF, a Yachika A, as well as light meters, flashes and lenses.

Just wondering if this is where I should try to sell this stuff and what I should ask for them? They are all in excellent condition.

HELP!?

10-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a marketplace on this site. There is also ebay and Craigslist. I'm not positive but I think it is against forum rules to try selling things anywhere except in the marketplace.
10-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome!

Take a look at the Photographic Equipment for Sale sub-forum and the Sold Items forum, a quick glance showed me the price for an MX silver body ($100), and I'm sure you could find reasonable starting points for the rest of the gear.

Edit: Removed suggestions for alternate places to sell in case that's against the rules.
10-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I'm not positive but I think it is against forum rules to try selling things anywhere except in the marketplace.
Indeed, it is against the rules and is also considered to be bad form both here and on almost all photo forums on the Web. The proscribed behaviors would include:
  • Offer of items for sale outside the marketplace
  • Promote an off-site auction or other listing for things you are selling
  • Make thinly-veiled inquiries (including photos and detailed descriptions) regarding value in the hopes of selling. You would surprised how often this happens.
That being said, there is still a fair amount of stuff that changes hands on a casual basis between forum members. It happens. The intent is to keep forum discussions from being dominated by buying/selling.

As for determining value for your stuff, pricing for film cameras and accessories is highly variable. I usually suggest:
  • Sold item search on the marketplace here
  • Completed auctions on eBay
  • Current KEH.com listings
KEH is a particularly good resource. Simply multiply their price by 0.8 to get a good idea of asking price on the open market and be prepared to consider lower offers.

Steve

---------- Post added 10-17-14 at 08:30 PM ----------

In regards to Marketplace access. I don't know what current policy is, but it used to be that new users are not allowed Marketplace access until they contribute a minimum number of posts -or- make a contribution to support site operation.

Steve

10-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's the current MarketPlace rules:

"To list equipment for sale, your account must meet one of the following conditions:

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/137-read-f...#ixzz3GVWmACe6"

Perhaps the OP would enjoy reading & participating in the forums, and might even get an interest in continuing on with Pentax cameras.
10-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Perhaps the OP would enjoy reading & participating in the forums, and might even get an interest in continuing on with Pentax cameras.
Absolutely!

Steve