Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K3 Questions

Well,

My K3 will arrive mid-next week so I thought I'd start collecting some basic information. I thought about asking this in the DSLR | K3 section, but thought a K3 noob is still a noob and therefore maybe this was the better place. So here goes ...

1. With the plethora of settings available in the setup screens, what are the ones one should typically change from the default settings? I usually pick up a "Lantern" book to more fully understand settings specific to the camera (there is none I can find for the K3) and there are typically several settings that I choose to change after reading about them. What are some good recommended "base settings" you fine folks suggest and why? I'm coming form a K500 and shoot a mix of fully manual, "A" lenses, and AF lenses, if that helps. I shoot a varying degree of photos, but tend to gravitate towards landscapes and flowers, etc., with some macro. I'm not really into shooting videos.

2. What peripheral items would you suggest? I've ordered a Wasabi fast Charger and batteries, and ACMAXX screen protector and a D-BG5. What other items should one consider?

3. Any other tips and tricks would be most appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by ripper2860; 10-17-2014 at 07:51 PM.
10-17-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
1. With the plethora of settings available in the setup screens, what are the ones one should typically change from the default settings?
The in-depth review of the K-3 on this site includes a section on suggested settings.

Review: Pentax K-3 - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

2. What peripheral items would you suggest?
Your list looks a lot like mine except that I sold my grip without ever using it in the field and added an aftermarket screen.

3. Any other tips and tricks would be most appreciated.
Have fun. The K-3 is easy to use with very few gotchas.

Steve

---------- Post added 10-17-14 at 08:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The in-depth review of the K-3 on this site includes a section on suggested settings.
My settings differ from the recommended on the following:
  • As a RAW shooter, I turn shadow correction OFF
  • I currently have highlight correction on "Auto", but am finding that it may be overly sensitive. I may turn it off completely.
  • I left the setting for "B" mode to be the traditional behavior rather than "T". (I use a wired remote for timed exposures.)
  • I disengaged "Auto-ISO"

Steve
10-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Steve -- thanks for your input and comments. The link will be extremely helpful. Funny thing is I read the PF K3 review before but completely forgot about the settings section.

added an aftermarket screen.
What after-market focusing screen did you end up selecting? KatzEye, Focusingsreens.com or another?

I sold my grip without ever using it in the field
I really don't know how much use mine will get, but the fact I can use AA batteries was a key motivation for me. I've made quite an investment in Enerloop batteries with my K500 and thought it's be nice to continue using them. Plus in an emergency, knowing I could fall-back on AA's seems appealing.

I'm looking forward to exploring the capabilities of the K3. I do have to admit, though, I am nervous about the mirror flapping issue I've read about. Hope I manage to dodge that bullet.

Again -- thanks!!

Last edited by ripper2860; 10-17-2014 at 08:50 PM.
10-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What after-market focusing screen did you end up selecting?
I am using a KatzEye with Optibrite after trying the focusingscreen.com S-type with AF area lines. The S-type is a nice screen, but I was put off some by dimness at maximum apertures f/4 and narrower. The break for me came when I discovered significant metering issues associated with the etched AF area lines. If you try the S-type screen, I would suggest skipping any custom etching.

Steve

10-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Woohoo!! My K3 arrived a day early. I've made the recommended settings changes and now I'm charging the battery to full so I update firmware to 1.03 as it came with 1.00. (Keeping fingers crossed for a good flash)

Thanks to all that provided guidance.

Last edited by ripper2860; 10-21-2014 at 04:31 PM.
10-21-2014, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #6
rfg

Woohoo!! My K3 arrived a day early. I've made the recommended settings changes and now I'm charging the battery to full so I update firmware to 1.03 as it came with 1.00. (Keeping fingers crossed for a good flash)

Thanks to all that provided guidance.
There have been two firmware releases since 1.03 - latest is 1.11.

Also https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/246364-yvons-k-3-book-available.html
10-21-2014, 05:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just downloaded from Pentax.com and flashed. All I saw was 1.03. Oh well. Time to do the flash dance once more. Thanks for the link.

Last edited by ripper2860; 10-21-2014 at 05:45 PM.
10-21-2014, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
rfg

I just downloaded from Pentax.com and all I saw was 1.03. Oh well. Time to do the flash dance once more. Thanks for the link.
You're welcome.
For the firmware download go here: Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
10-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfg Quote
You're welcome.
For the firmware download go here: Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
Thank you!! Successfully flashed and ready for action!! Now I'm off to download the eBook!!