Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Nothing happens when I press the shutter button.

I was doing some macro shots tonight and all of a sudden the shutter just stopped tripping on my K5ii. I've reset the camera to defaults, and tested with my remote release. The camera acts like it is taking a picture but the shutter doesn't go.

This is only my second camera (and I've never had any problems like this before) so I could use some help figuring out what to do next.

Thanks.

10-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you put it in AF mode on accident?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was manual focusing at the time. I've tested it in all three focusing modes with three different lenses and got the same result. The camera acts like its taking a picture but there's just a buzz/hum noise when the shutter should go. Since I reset the camera it even gives the focus confirmation beep.
10-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you try sensor cleaning does the mirror goes up and the shutter opens?

10-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
If you try sensor cleaning does the mirror goes up and the shutter opens?
Nope. It just makes that sad quiet little humming/buzzing noise :-(
10-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
Time to talk to Ricoh
10-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Make sure you have a fully charged battery as the one in the camera may be failing.

10-20-2014, 12:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Which lens? SDM?
10-20-2014, 04:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Try removing/refitting the lens.
10-20-2014, 04:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have three batteries and have tried it with them all in the camera. No change. I'm charging one to full to test with just to be thorough.

I've tried with three lenses and no lens and the same thing (doesn't) happen. It started when I was shooting with my Sigma 105mm Macro. I tested with my DA* 55mm and the DA Limited 40mm. No change in behavior.

I'm going to call Ricoh later today unless that fully charged battery magically fixes the issue (which I doubt).
10-20-2014, 06:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well huh, I put that fully charged battery in it and now it is working fine?
10-20-2014, 06:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Do you have an after market grip on your camera by any chance?
10-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, it's the Pentax made battery grip.

So, does anyone know what this means? Do I have a battery going bad? There was a battery in both the camera and the grip at the time of this problem but I took the grip off as part of my troubleshooting. If the battery in the camera was dead or failing, shouldn't the camera have switched over to the one in the grip? I have the camera set to auto select the battery. Should I have it use a different setting?

I'm suspicious that the error was really in the camera and leaving it without a battery in it overnight reset something. Is it a good idea to take the battery out when the camera is not in use?

This is only my second dslr and I've had no formal instruction in how to store and care for a dslr. I'm a bit worried that I've been doing something wrong.

Thanks for all the help folks!
10-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #14
Pentaxian

It's good that your camera magically starting working again. Your problem may have just been some momentary random glitch that will never occur again. If it continues to happen, try shooting without the grip to rule that out.

There's nothing wrong with leaving the battery in all the time. The camera loses track of the date and time (and maybe other settings) without a battery for a few days.
10-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No, it's the Pentax made battery grip
Could it be that one of the dials on the grip was set in between the notches?