Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2014, 05:43 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Panache Quote
Normally my subjects are landscapes [where focus point isn't often an issue]
Interesting you state that, to my knowledge and experience balancing focus point, hyperfocal distance and aperture is absolutely critical in landscape photography. That is of course if one is trying to achieve sharp to infinity landscapes.

10-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Interesting you state that, to my knowledge and experience balancing focus point, hyperfocal distance and aperture is absolutely critical in landscape photography. That is of course if one is trying to achieve sharp to infinity landscapes.
Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate your comment and you are correct. I meant that the landscapes I photograph are taken mostly near my cottage in Northern Ontario ....lake, trees, the woods. For my photo album, I'm not trying to take a perfectly balanced image....just a memory!
10-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you to all who gave advise and suggestions. I appreciate the time you took to help.
I'm taking the camera and 35mm lens outside later to do further tests, but I think I might have gotten somewhere with the lens alignment chart. Here's the image I settled on for being the most equally focused, which turned out to be +4 on the AF Fine Adjustment.
I will do some tests with the zoom lens as well, but leaving at +/-0 right now seems to be the best.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
10-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was a bit hard to tell, but I thought that the +4 or +6 adjustments looked best. I.e., I concur with your +4 adjustment on the DA 35.
Zooms are a bit trickier, since some of them seem to want different settings at different lengths.
Another way of doing microadjustments that I've found to work well is detailed here.

10-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Yes, +4 looks fine with this lens. Don't forget to check at different focusing distances to be sure to this will consistently work.
12-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I figured I should update this issue seeing as it also counts as a contest entry!
I took my gear in to our local Henry's. Long story short, the nice gentleman there told me I'm WAY too fussy and thinks my images are just fine. However, I have to start shooting a little differently [more in the 5-7 aperture range] and to be careful that my shutter speeds aren't too slow., although he was impressed how steady my hand is for my 1/10 to 1/15 second shots!
So, I decided not to send any gear back to Pentax.
Here's hoping!
12-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Panache Quote
I figured I should update this issue seeing as it also counts as a contest entry!
I took my gear in to our local Henry's. Long story short, the nice gentleman there told me I'm WAY too fussy and thinks my images are just fine. However, I have to start shooting a little differently [more in the 5-7 aperture range] and to be careful that my shutter speeds aren't too slow., although he was impressed how steady my hand is for my 1/10 to 1/15 second shots!
So, I decided not to send any gear back to Pentax.
Here's hoping!
I think that your images are par for the course. At f/2.4, subject distance of around 35 cm (which is roughly the lens' MFD), I reckon that the depth of field will be around a cm. Too thin. Yes, I agree your images are just fine. It's just the OCD complex in all of us!