Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2014, 10:43 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
F*300/4.5 Hood Operation

Hi guys,

Sorry for being a bother with a question like this, but I just wanted to get a specific description of the hood operation on the F* 300mm f4.5 lens.

It's a real beauty, but for some reason I haven't managed to figure out how to use the in-built hood.
Pushing/pulling/twisting don't seem to move anything, but perhaps I'm doing it wrong.

This is by no means a complaint (from what I've heard, the hood operation is easy and most useful), just wanted to figure it out.

Thanks!

10-22-2014, 12:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's threaded. Simply unscrew the hood, pull it forward so that the threads at the rear of the hood engage the threads at the front of the lens barrel, and keep turning it in the same direction as you were doing to loosen it. Sounds like it is on very tight, but turning it is what you do.
10-22-2014, 12:27 AM   #3
Forum Member

FA* 300 F4.5 lens hood mounting.

One thing is certain the mounting of this lens hood is certainly not intuitive! However, with time spent looking closely you will get the knack, firstly there is a "small notch" on the lens hood just between the NT of the word Pentax, it's not even easy to see, maybe a bit of black paint wiped into the notch would make it more easy to spot.

There are "two small squares with arrows" on the lens barrel next to the lens cap: there is also a thick side to the square one facing out from the lens, for use, and one facing in, for storage, this should give the sense of which square to use!

To mount the lens-hood for use: line up the notch with the "square with the arrow on the left" on the lens barrel (bayonet towards you) and rotate the lens hood in the direction of the arrow till it clicks. To remove turn the hood in the reverse direction.

To mount the lens-hood to store: (hood reversed towards the lens) line up the notch with the "square with the arrow facing to the right" (bayonet towards you) it's not so easy to see the square as the hood now covers the the square with the arrow to the right, and turn in the direction of the arrow till it clicks. To remove turn in the reverse direction.

I need glasses to see up close and finding this notch is not easy, so as I say a bit of black paint in the notch would make life a lot easier. This complete description should give an idea of how unintuitive mounting this lens-hood is.
Never use a UV filter with this lens no matter how good a quality it is, I've tried even the best and the resolution is markedly reduced. The DA* 300 F4 plastic lens although optically first class comes nowhere near the level of construction of the FA* 300mm F4.5, when the SDMs are giving out this screw drive lens will still be there for you!

Last edited by Dave's clichés; 10-22-2014 at 12:40 AM. Reason: incorrect intermediate post
10-22-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

As mentioned it is on a fine screw thread...... some hints.....don't tighten it much....just a gentle tighten with fingertips.....and when extending it to screw it out....point the lens down so it extends square to the threads to rescrew to the front of the lens.......

Also put your fingers near the threaded base of the hood (closest part of hood to the camera) when screw/unscrewing it......takes half the effort for some reason (less binding of the fine threads) then if you hold it at the lens end.

---------- Post added 10-22-14 at 06:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave's clichés Quote
The original lens-hood is not threaded it is a bayonet!
One thing is certain the mounting of this lens hood is certainly not intuitive! However, with time spent looking closely you will get the knack, firstly there is a "small notch" on the lens hood just between the NT of the word Pentax, it's not even easy to see, maybe a bit of black paint wiped into the notch would make it more easy to spot.

There are "two small squares with arrows" on the lens barrel next to the lens cap: there is also a thick side to the square one facing out from the lens, for use, and one facing in, for storage, this should give the sense of which square to use!

To mount the lens-hood for use: line up the notch with the "square with the arrow on the left" on the lens barrel (bayonet towards you) and rotate the lens hood in the direction of the arrow till it clicks. To remove turn the hood in the reverse direction.

To mount the lens-hood to store: (hood reversed towards the lens) line up the notch with the "square with the arrow facing to the right" (bayonet towards you) it's not so easy to see the square as the hood now covers the the square with the arrow to the right, and turn in the direction of the arrow till it clicks. To remove turn in the reverse direction.

I need glasses to see up close and finding this notch is not easy, so as I say a bit of black paint in the notch would make life a lot easier. This complete description should give an idea of how unintuitive mounting this lens-hood is.
Never use a UV filter with this lens no matter how good a quality it is, I've tried even the best and the resolution is markedly reduced. The DA* 300 F4 plastic lens although optically first class comes nowhere near the level of construction of the FA* 300mm F4.5, when the SDMs are giving out this screw drive lens will still be there for you!
Wrong lens.... F* not FA

Last edited by noelpolar; 10-22-2014 at 12:35 AM.
10-22-2014, 12:39 AM   #5
Forum Member

Oops sorry!
10-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter

It took me a few weeks to realize it had a hood
10-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
it's a clever design, but yes, I was puzzled when i first bought mine.
10-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #8
MSD

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the instructions.
I've tried twisting the hood, but it doesn't seem to be budging. Which direction is it supposed to be twisted?
And if it's not moving, is it dangerous if I manhandle it a bit?

Thanks again!

10-22-2014, 10:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MSD Quote
Thanks everyone for the instructions.
I've tried twisting the hood, but it doesn't seem to be budging. Which direction is it supposed to be twisted?
And if it's not moving, is it dangerous if I manhandle it a bit?

Thanks again!
Hopefully it's not frozen.

When looking at the front element, it's the usual direction for loosening - counter-clockwise.

You should be able to grip it on or above the word PENTAX (near the gold ring) and have it turn.
10-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Have a look at this:

Just shot it and uploaded it…..it's a crap video but might help!…. good luck!
10-23-2014, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #11
MSD

Original Poster
Thank you so much DSims, noelpolar and everyone!
I followed the instructions and gave it a hard twist in the right direction and it finally came loose.
All working functionally now!
I hope you all enjoy the F*300 very much. I certainly am, and now can use the hood too.