Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Forum image size

Hi all - and as usual, forgive me if this information is already available, I have searched in these forums (fora?) and seen no answer.

Anyway, since I recently signed up to Pentax Forums, I have put a few pics into my one album for public viewing. When I look at them myself, none of them fit neatly on my monitor - I have to scroll the image up and down to see everything.

For example, the one portrait in my album is 114kB and 679x1024; so as far as I can see it is within PF's limits, yet on my screen I can't see the whole thing without scrolling.

Do I need to alter something when I upload an image or is there something I need to do with my monitor when viewing PF photos? I notice that the same thing happens when I look at other members' photos, though generally to a lesser extent.

Your thoughts would be welcome, especially since I find it so much better to appreciate a picture when you can see the whole thing at once (with due regard to Salman Rushdie's "Midnight's Children").

10-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Our system generally scales images to the maximum permissible size if they exceed that size. So, if you want photos to be smaller, you should scale them before uploading (via Lightroom, Photoshop, GIMP, Aperture, etc.).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Adam, I'll try to figure out how that works - please don't be surprised if you find several dozen versions of the same image appearing on PF while I experiment. I use Lightroom and nothing else, so I should be able to deal with it. In fact normally I export from Lightroom to a local jpeg and upload from that. I will find some time to play, maybe Lightroom has a more direct channel - it will be fun to find out!

Regards

Steve
10-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Deep Dene Steve Quote
yet on my screen I can't see the whole thing without scrolling.
If you need to scroll, then the pixel dimensions are larger than the display window + the PF window dressing. I generally size 1200 px or less on the horizontal and 1000 or less on the vertical.

On a somewhat tangential note, many (most?) of us here don't upload directly to the site unless it is for one of the galleries. Instead, we link from within our posts to images hosted at Flickr or elsewhere. Flickr is even good enough to provide a BB code snippet to make the process easier.

Steve

10-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Deep Dene Steve, check that your browser isn't set to a zoom ratio greater than 100%. Can be easy to do and then forgotten. The zoom ratio typically scales both text and images.
10-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your input Adam, stevebrot and southlander. Combining your suggestions led me to a solution. I had my browser zoom at 125% (aging eyes) and it is now at 100%. I have also now constrained the image size while exporting from Lightroom - I found 900 vertical to give a more comfortable fit.

On reducing the browser zoom to 100%, I then had to increase the browser text size for my own comfort. Unfortunately this only affects some of the text - drop-downs and other stuff are now quite small for my eyes. I think this is why I had originally increased the zoom to 125%. No matter, I can cope with that, maybe buy some stronger reading glasses (£1 a pair!) or just get used to adjusting the zoom whenever I need.

Thanks again. All of this advice from a whole three-sixty degrees around the world within twenty-four hours! I can remember being impressed at the introduction of Yellow Pages in a huge book.