Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #1

Pentax K100d not taking pictures

Hello,

I'm new to the forum but I've been using Pentax SLR cameras for about 4 years. I started off with a K1000, and as I can no longer afford to develop film, I invested in a cheaper but still good (that I've heard) K100d.

I am testing out my "new" camera for the first time and in the hour I've been fussing with it, I have only been able to take 5 pictures (5 really bad pictures actually). I am using a Tamron AF KAJ mount 75-300mm lens.

I set the permission to YES to use the aperture ring in the settings menu. Nothing is blinking on the camera screen that I can tell.

HOWEVER, the shutter will not fire!!! Even on auto or scene mode!

I bought this camera from KEH and was told it is Excellent+ condition, so I am hoping that there isn't an electrical problem with the shutter.

Is it a problem with the lens compatibility? Should I return it to KEH?

Sincerely,
Extremely frustrated

---------- Post added 10-22-14 at 06:49 PM ----------

Okay, the preview button attached to the shutter near the on/off switch fires the shutter, so I am thinking this is likely a compatibility issue between the lens and camera.

Even with the body switched to AF and the mode on SCN or AUTO, I can't take any pictures.

I cannot test a different lens as my other lenses haven't been moved to my new house yet.

10-23-2014, 06:24 AM   #2

Original Poster
Incidentally, placing the camera body in MF on the dial and near the lens insertion allows me to take pictures? Is this a safe way to use the lens? I am manipulating the lens manually in order to focus.

Honestly, I think it may be the same problem as here, where the AF mode is too much for the K100d to handle, and so it crashes after just one picture:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/150599-tamr...esistance.html

Should I ditch this lens? Or should I continue overriding the autofocus?
10-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the K110D, I had the same problem! Take it out of AF. There a little switch on the front left side, move it to MF for manual focus.

So is the lens you're using an AF lens? If not, you have to put the camera into MF mode. If it sees the image not in focus in AF mode it wont let you take the pic. I had that issue when I first got mine.

QuoteOriginally posted by KAMbost Quote
Even with the body switched to AF and the mode on SCN or AUTO, I can't take any pictures.
It sounds as if your lens is not an AF lens. That would be why. Switch to MF and use the focus ring. It will not work in AF with a lens that is a MF type.

QuoteOriginally posted by KAMbost Quote
Okay, the preview button attached to the shutter near the on/off switch fires the shutter, so I am thinking this is likely a compatibility issue between the lens and camera.
That button will take a test picture, that's what its made to do. I don't use it. Its not an issue with the lens at all.

Last edited by jack002; 10-23-2014 at 11:58 AM.
10-24-2014, 07:00 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi jack,

Thanks for your response. The lens is indeed AutoFocus.

Here is the exact one.
http://www.tamron-usa.com/assets/pdfs/672D.pdf

I have gotten it to take maybe five pictures in autofocus (with the lens automatically turning to adjust focus, I'm positive!) but I feel like the autofocus is too much for the K100d? It crashes after just one picture.

Overriding the autofocus works almost perfectly, but I am not sure that it is safe for the lens mechanism.

Thanks.

10-24-2014, 07:07 AM   #5

Original Poster
Well, according to that Tamron manual I just sent you, they have instructions for overriding the AF in favor of MF, so I guess that's just what I'm going to do because AF doesn't work.

HOWEVER, I am still having some issues, particularly taking photos in the dark. I set the camera for MF, the shutter speed, etc. is correct, but when I push the button, the shutter does not fire. And the camera will not let me increase the shutter speed when the flash is up. It makes no sense.
10-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have had the same issues with low light. It wont or cant focus. As for this lens, sounds like something is wrong with either the lens or the camera.
I have a 18-55 AF kit lens with my K110D. Works fine in AF mode except really low light or facing a blank wall. I prefer shooing manual anyway, the camera doesnt know what I'm looking at. I'd try other lenses on it and see if that helps. No other ideas, I'm kinda new to this DSLR stuff, still learning myself.