Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #1

AF-200FG or better?

Could someone describe the difference between AF-200FG or the better models?

I want to buy a flash to mount on top of the camera (K50) since the built-in flash is creating a big shadow (semicircle) on the bottom of all the pictures taken with flash (18-135 WR lens).

Honestly as far as the built-in flash goes, I have never thought I needed more light... Only reason I'm interested is to evade the shadow, which makes me think that I could do with the cheapest (AF-200FG) but at the same time I worry that maybe the higher end models have some type of capabilities that I simply don't know about and later on will wish I had bought them?

Last edited by Moropo; 10-22-2014 at 04:34 PM.
10-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The AG 200FG is very limited when it comes to features. It's just a more powerful version of the flash build in to your camera, and it will accomplish exactly what you're describing (getting rid of the shadow and offering slightly more illumination).

More advanced models can tilt, swivel, expose manually, be triggered wirelessly, and more. See our reviews for more info:

Review: Pentax AF360FGZ II Flash - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Review: Pentax AF200FG Flash - Review | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You would be amazed how much better photos can look with a bounce flash. Personally, I would go for something that can swivel and tilt, but if all you really want is fill flash keep in mind the AF-200FG is normally found around $30 USD on the used market, but a brand new full manual 3rd party bounce flash is only $10-20 more and can also be pointed forward for fill flash. I use a Yongnuo YN-460ii that has been great so far.

Last edited by stillshot2; 10-22-2014 at 06:51 PM.
10-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That lens shouldn't give you a shadow if you remove the hood!
Also, built in flash is designed for distances of about 1m / 3ft or more, so you will get a lens shadow with most lens when you are less than 1m away - usual solution is to stand back and zoom in.

Another shadow issue - that behind your subject.
Built in flash harsh shadows (on the wall behind subject) can be reduced by increasing ISO. Do an experiment with built in flash with iso at 100 or 200 and then at 1600 or 3200 where you have a subject standing with a wall close behind them.
Sure you get more noise, but the shadow behind your subject will look a whole lot less hard and dark. The use of flash will also reduce noise when compared with the same ISO without use of the flash.

Just some thoughts, see if this helps.

10-23-2014, 01:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fancy Flash?

Hello Moropo,
The AF 200 is, as Adam mentioned, simply a more powerful top-mounted flash. Without tilt (the vertical adjustment of the flash head) you can't 'bounce' the light. It's pointed straight at the subject, for that flat, front-lit, heavily-shadowed 'deer in the headlights' look. And, usually red-eye, too.
No, you need, at the very least, a tilt head. The used AF360 (about $125, again, used) has tilt but no swivel (side-to-side flash head movement) so it's half way there and also features a built-in bounce card and/or diffuser. Plus auto-zoom, a great help-especially with a zoom lens.
The newer AF360-II is W/R and adds swivel, also. More expensive and hasn't been around long enough to find easily, used.
The top-line AF540 has everything, tilt, swivel, zoom and more power. Even more expensive.
For starting out with flash, I'd suggest a used AF360 (old version, tilt but no swivel). Just enough features to get you rolling with a hot-shoe flash, a 'starter' flash. It's been great for me, not too big or complicated but capable for my work. Add a couple of $10 (China) light modifiers like a soft-box and larger bounce reflector and you're good to go!
Good luck!
Ron
10-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

I just checked and It is true there is no shadow if I remove the hood. I guess I will be removing the hood until I can buy an external flash. I like to have the hood on at all times.

@rbefly: Thanks for the breakdown of the different flashes' features. Since my camera (K50) and lens (18-135) are WR, I would love to maintain a kit in which everything is WR. Hence why I became interested in the AF360FGZ II. Certainly way more expensive than the simple AF200FG though.

Do lens get some sort of discount in Cyber Monday?