Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a thought:

This problem happens ONLY when camera is in vertical position. That means somehow, that whatever "device" is used to detect camera orientation (mercury switch ????) has something to do with this problem. I know it doesn't sound right because exposure shouldn't be affected by camera orientation, but according to tests, IT DOES. At least, the aperture lever is actuated when it shouldn't when camera is vertical.

So, how about disabling camera orientation detection? Don't ask me how to do this, but there is a function to "remember" or not picture orientation.... maybe that's a good place to start.

10-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by randee Quote
Thanks Steve!
I couldn't find any when I looked, probably because the titles are vague like my thread title is.
I had to go back through the threads I had participated in. There were others, but I figure you probably have seen enough to understand why I was fairly certain about what is going on with your camera. I hope you find a reasonable solution.

Steve
10-25-2014, 08:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I found this that may be helpful

https://www.flickr.com/groups/pentaxk30/discuss/72157634399964217/ (read last post here)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/229294-k...e-problem.html

K-30 random exposure failure issue (check post from 03/03/2014 - 23:17)
10-26-2014, 12:51 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The second one is a thread I linked to above and the other two, I believe, involve people who are also active on this site. As I mentioned earlier, this is a common problem that has been reported on the K-30 for over a year now. It seems to be age-related rather than something wearing out since some cameras had very low shutter counts. It is a real shame, IMHO, since the K-30 is a very nice camera and this kind of failure is sort of unexpected.

Steve

10-26-2014, 08:20 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Just a thought:

This problem happens ONLY when camera is in vertical position. That means somehow, that whatever "device" is used to detect camera orientation (mercury switch ????) has something to do with this problem. I know it doesn't sound right because exposure shouldn't be affected by camera orientation, but according to tests, IT DOES. At least, the aperture lever is actuated when it shouldn't when camera is vertical.

So, how about disabling camera orientation detection? Don't ask me how to do this, but there is a function to "remember" or not picture orientation.... maybe that's a good place to start.
Thanks for the input, after further testing, I have found that the problem is not limited to vertical mode. It's much more prevalent in vertical mode though. That's why I am now thinking that the mechanism must be harder for it to engage in vertical mode. I wonder if some part of that mechanism is bent, and making it difficult to engage. Like someone tried to use it on a lens that had a stuck aperture and force bent a pin slightly. Who knows though, it could just be that it is a lubricated mechanism that has lost it's lubrication. Since the problem is common and appears not to be related to use.
10-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by randee Quote
Thanks for the input, after further testing, I have found that the problem is not limited to vertical mode. It's much more prevalent in vertical mode though. That's why I am now thinking that the mechanism must be harder for it to engage in vertical mode. I wonder if some part of that mechanism is bent, and making it difficult to engage. Like someone tried to use it on a lens that had a stuck aperture and force bent a pin slightly. Who knows though, it could just be that it is a lubricated mechanism that has lost it's lubrication. Since the problem is common and appears not to be related to use.
This is post 03/03/2014 - 23:17 from K-30 random exposure failure issue

Update again. The camera has now been returned to my sister in the UK from Johnsons Photopia. I haven't tested the results but understand the technician was able to replicate the fault so that was a huge relief with the postage effort and all.

The report is very quick and vague (ha reads like a Pentax firmware update change log) :
REPLACED DIAPHRAGM MECHANISM- ADJUSTED & CALIBRATED- CLEANED- CHECK & TEST

I have no idea where or what a body Diaphragm Mechanism is, but hopefully it does the trick. Others appear to have reported an Aperture Motor fault but I'll know when I get the camera back to New Zealand later in the month.

According to steve from his discoveries in the past threads about this, the problem is more "age" related than "use" related, since some cameras with reported very few actuation have developed the problem.