Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #1
Inactive Account

On-switch doesnt work

I am hoping someone can help me. I have a fairly new Pentax K-3 (6 months) and yesterday it froze. That has happened before. I usually take out the battery, put it back in and everything is fine. But now it doesnt turn on. Tried recharging. I am on vacation and need it. Any suggestions?

10-23-2014, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A few simple problems and checks:
Is battery in the right way up? (have to ask, sorry)

Is it simply just the display is off? Pressing info button will fix this.

Open and close the little memory card door. The camera won't switch on if the memory card door is open. Maybe the door 'switch' is stuck , so open and close a few times to check.

Does anything happen if you turn on and hold down menu - does it display the firmware number?

Do you have another memory card you can try? A failed memory card may cause errors?
10-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome aboard, you may want to post this enquiry in the K3 section of the forum, you may get more responses than here.
10-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum.
I moved this here from the Welcome forum in hope that it will get more exposure (pardon the pun).

10-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
will get more exposure
Your just such smooth talker.
10-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Idadybdal Quote
I am hoping someone can help me. I have a fairly new Pentax K-3 (6 months) and yesterday it froze. That has happened before. I usually take out the battery, put it back in and everything is fine. But now it doesnt turn on. Tried recharging. I am on vacation and need it. Any suggestions?
I too, have had the rare "freeze", but never with a failure to "revive" after battery removal. The standard set of questions would include:
  • Are you using the battery grip? If so, take it off and try powering up without it.
  • Do you have another battery?
  • Is the battery you are using fully charged?
  • Is the battery Pentax-brand or third-party?
I know, this is not very helpful, but is the best I offer.

Steve
10-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies. I am travelling in Marocco, and internetconnection is rare and on phone. Thank you for moving the post, I was in a hurry.
I should maybe have mentioned that I had the K-5 for several years before switching to the K-3, so I know the system pretty well, although there are a few of the changes that I have yet to master fully
Pressing menu and on did not help. I opened all gaps and cleaned the connecting areas before closing, then toke off the lens and did the same. No luck.
I have tried with an other memory card. Still nothing.
The battery is the standard that came with the camera - I never had trouble with those before - and I don't use a battery grip. It is fully charged and placed correctly
Unfortunately, I do not have an extra battery here and I am not sure I can find one. I also don't have a cable for the computer or a computer. I will try these things when I come home.
I am getting desperate,
so other ideas are welcome.
Cheers, Ida

10-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My daughter had a battery failure in the middle of the Great Indian Thar Desert that essentially stopped her photography until she got back to the U.S. I feel your pain.

Steve
10-25-2014, 11:50 PM   #9
Yos
Veteran Member

This is why I always bring extra batteries and a back up body on vacation. My wife curses me that I always bring so much stuff but I rather be safe than sorry.
Hope you will find a solution to your problem!