Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 21
Moving photos to a tablet

Hi

I am new to DSLRs so be gentle with me! I have just bought a Pentax K50 and am loving it so far. Two related issues are baffling me. Firstly, when I plug my camera into my laptop, Lightroom starts up and takes over the importing of the photos. I don't want it to so how can I reset the defaults so other packages such as Windows Live Photo Gallery do this? My second question is about whether and how I can get photos onto an android tablet. Do I need to buy separate software and cables? I don't want to put them onto my laptop first as when I am away I don't want to take the laptop away with me but will have the camera and tablet

Thanks

Tish

10-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,288
See this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/274699-u...nectivity.html
10-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
Forum Member
gtis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: south yorkshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 82
Hi tish
You will have to open Lightroom and somewhere in the top tabs
There is a option to untick load from memory card/ camera
I haven't got my laptop handy at the moment so I can't tell
You exactly where to go
Neil
10-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian
reeftool's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,043
The process is going to vary depending on what tablet you use. On my iPad, I simply plug my card reader into the lightning port (or the old 30 pin port) and the tablets software uploads the photos. With Android, you will need to buy a card reader with a micro USB cable that fits your tablet or phone. I have never plugged my camera into anything with the USB cable since my first digital P&S many years ago. I find a card reader much easier.

10-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Kendigitize's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 316
An Eye-Fi memory card will send the photos to your phone, tablet or home computer or all 3 if you want, using Wi-Fi. They are about $70 I think. Search here for "eye-fi" and there will be lots of info.


In Lightroom, go to Preferences, General and look for the import options. The "Show import dialog when memory card is inserted" should be un-checked. Lightroom will not open now when you insert a card.

Last edited by Kendigitize; 10-24-2014 at 08:42 AM.
10-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 84
QuoteOriginally posted by Kendigitize Quote
An Eye-Fi memory card will send the photos to your phone, tablet or home computer or all 3 if you want, using Wi-Fi. They are about $70 I think. Search here for "eye-fi" and there will be lots of info.


In Lightroom, go to Preferences, General and look for the import options. The "Show import dialog when memory card is inserted" should be un-checked. Lightroom will not open now when you insert a card.
I recommend Eye-Fi as well, I got Pro X2 version which has been working great on the go.
10-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,429
QuoteOriginally posted by Tish99 Quote
Firstly, when I plug my camera into my laptop, Lightroom starts up and takes over the importing of the photos. I don't want it to so how can I reset the defaults so other packages such as Windows Live Photo Gallery do this?
As noted above, uncheck the 'auto import when card inserted' option in Lightroom.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tish99 Quote
how I can get photos onto an android tablet. Do I need to buy separate software and cables?
This will depend a lot on which tablet you have and what ports it has. On mine I can use an SD card reader plugged into the charging port or a micro-SD card directly into the micro-SD port or by attaching the keyboard just plug the camera (or a USB card reader) into the full USB port. There are lots of ways to make this happen but you need to look at your tablet to see what is available.
10-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
AquaDome's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Carlisle, IN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,437
When I am on the road with the Android tablet, I use a MicroSD memory card. The card has an adapter to make it "regular SD card" size while it is in the camera. Then I can take the card out of the camera, out of its adapter, and plug it directly into the Android tablet. The tablet will read JPG files, but it doesn't read PEF or DNG files. A 32GB card has always been large enough for me, even when shooting RAW+JPG.

This solution was the result of many months of struggling to get the Android tablet to exchange pictures with the PC and camera in a way that worked for me. I even bought a Mac and an iPad and had the same problem, so I went to a $20 MicroSD card with adapter. Problem solved.

10-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter
jimr-pdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: 1hr north of PDX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,489
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
When I am on the road with the Android tablet, I use a MicroSD memory card. The card has an adapter to make it "regular SD card" size while it is in the camera. Then I can take the card out of the camera, out of its adapter, and plug it directly into the Android tablet. The tablet will read JPG files, but it doesn't read PEF or DNG files. A 32GB card has always been large enough for me, even when shooting RAW+JPG.

This solution was the result of many months of struggling to get the Android tablet to exchange pictures with the PC and camera in a way that worked for me. I even bought a Mac and an iPad and had the same problem, so I went to a $20 MicroSD card with adapter. Problem solved.
Me too, it's one of my two reasons to seek tablets with the microSD slot (the other is that I keep my tunes on a chip too).
10-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian
EarlVonTapia's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,150
QuoteOriginally posted by dyoon153 Quote
I recommend Eye-Fi as well, I got Pro X2 version which has been working great on the go.

I will also add a third recommendation for Eye-Fi cards. They just work.

I have two, one for my K30 and one for my Q.

They do not need Wi-Fi to be able to transfer photos from cameras to phones/tablets, and there's no need for adapters or removing of any cards. I've transferred photos from my camera to my phone in some winter cabins deep in the mountains to show some pictures to people.
10-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,467
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
This will depend a lot on which tablet you have and what ports it has. On mine I can use an SD card reader plugged into the charging port or a micro-SD card directly into the micro-SD port or by attaching the keyboard just plug the camera (or a USB card reader) into the full USB port. There are lots of ways to make this happen but you need to look at your tablet to see what is available.
Yep, those are the conventional options that generate the least expense. A wi-fi card might be another option if the tablet supports wi-fi (many don't) and if a person does not mind having the card hijack the wi-fi on the tablet and if spending the $70 makes sense.


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-24-2014 at 05:24 PM.
10-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Kendigitize's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 316
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
I will also add a third recommendation for Eye-Fi cards. They just work.

I have two, one for my K30 and one for my Q.

They do not need Wi-Fi to be able to transfer photos from cameras to phones/tablets, and there's no need for adapters or removing of any cards. I've transferred photos from my camera to my phone in some winter cabins deep in the mountains to show some pictures to people.

Yeah, I go to Disneyland, take pictures, and within a few minutes my friends with me are viewing them on my Galaxy Tab. The Eye-fi works great for me.
10-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,942
If you go with eye-fi, I highly recommend using the Shuttersnitch app rather than the stock Eyefi one. It will do some nice stuff, like warn you of exposure issues or slow shutter speeds on long lenses (etc, etc, etc -- you can select different conditions to produce warnings) ShutterSnitch

Personally, I had so many issues with the eyefi connection (that was when I was still on Nikon) that I ended up returning the iPad I'd purchased primarily to use for this purpose. I haven't actually tried it on my K5, though, and my phone connection is much faster now, so maybe I should dig it out and try again.

Definitely shoot in raw+jpg with the JPG set to the smallest size and lowest quality, if you plan to use it just to review your photos on a bigger screen. They can handle RAW, but the files are so large it's not really usable. (but if you're using it to immediately upload photos for your protection in case your camera gets confiscated at a protest or something, do whatever size you need).
10-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Posts: 1,050
In most cases, you can use a very simple solution with Android tablets.

Take the micro-USB cable which came with your camera. Add a cheap mini USB adapter for tablets/phones which are offered for USB sticks, and connect the cables.

In the Android configuration, select how external USB connections should be handled. The description and number of available options will vary, depending on Android version, tablet/phone hardware und manufacturer. But select the option which sounds to be nearest to "use for data transfer between tablet and a memory stick".

With some luck, any installed Android software like TotalCommander or similar programs will transfer files between the tablet/phone and the camera.

Whether this will work, seems to depend only on whether your Android system is configured to read the file system the camera used.
I own three (extremely cheap) different tablets with different Android versions, and it works with all of them like a charm when I connect my *istDS, K200D, Optio A30, and Optio A40.
However, with my Panasonic DMC-LX3, only my oldest and simplest tablet (Archos Arnova 7D G3) does it.
My newer and much faster tablets do not understand the file system formatted in-camera by the LX3. However, no problem with any Pentax.

EDIT:
Where it works, I can directly transfer (single or selected files or bulk with TotalCommander) to the 32GB SD card inserted in the tablet. Alternatively, I can also just view the pictures on the tablet without storing the files, using any picture viewer installed on the tablet, including the built-in one of TotalCommander.

Last edited by RKKS08; 10-26-2014 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Info added
10-27-2014, 03:24 AM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Prague
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,198
Yes and with Windows Phone you van even develop the dng using the Rawer app.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, import photos, laptop, pentax help, photography, photos, tablet, troubleshooting, wifi
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax to tablet Whiskey Foto Pentax K-30 & K-50 18 09-01-2016 03:37 AM
Transferring files to a tablet or HD GeneV Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 32 09-13-2014 03:49 PM
Moving abroad to Japan for a year. How to "compactify"? Pizza Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 08-28-2014 01:36 PM
Getting smaller photos for tablet viewing alcstudios Pentax K-3 8 11-11-2013 08:54 PM
Learning how to use a Graphic Tablet...? Noob Photographic Technique 16 08-05-2011 01:55 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:04 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top