Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2014, 02:52 AM   #1

K-r ignoring aperture setting?

Hello!

I have a Pentax K-r, and a while ago, I found that the metering would often be way off; perhaps -5 stops? I'm using the stock 18-55mm lens that came with the body.

I'm almost always shooting in aperture priority, and after a lot of experimenting, I eventually got to the root of the problem.

I discovered that if I was shooting at the smallest aperture, the metering would be ok, but it was when I opened the aperture up, the metering went crazy and my pictures would be massively underexposed.

Ultimately, the problem was this: when I selected f/40, I could see the aperture narrow right down to a pinhole as expected, but when I selected ~f/4.0... the aperture would narrow right down to a pinhole!! Whatever aperture I select; the shots get taken at f/40.

I've just updated to the latest firmware (the one I was running was horribly out of date), but the problem persists. Has anyone experienced this problem before and found a solution?

I don't know if this is related, but around the same time this problem started, I was trying out some old K mount lenses from a much older Pentax.

Thanks for any advice.

10-27-2014, 04:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello, welcome!

So the problem isn't metering. Its probably a lens problem. Can you test with another lens, to see if it is the lens or camera's fault?
What I suggest is the standard stuff:
Make sure your +/- is set to 0, and that you don't have any special jpeg options enabled. For the tests, use matrix or center weighted metering, not spot metering.
Remove battery, charge it, leave it out of the camera overnight
Remove any filters you might have on your lens. Are you using any special parts, like an off-brand focus screen?
Dismount lens and make sure the lens and camera contacts are clean and free of dust, grime.
Mount another lens, use M mode and press green button for metering. Does the lens stop down to the selected aperture? (of course, if the lens is m42 or really basic K-mount, the camera cannot affect the aperture, so do this test with a lens that supports camera aperture stop-down)

Btw, is the lens still in warranty? Because I suspect there is a problem with its aperture selection inside, and you cannot fix that yourself. The good news is that the 18-55mm is rather cheap in the used market, and pretty much any Pentax lens you buy will perform optically as good or better.
10-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
So the problem isn't metering. Its probably a lens problem.
...or a mechanical problem with the body. IIRC, there have been reported aperture actuator problems with the K-r similar to those on the K-30.

Here is a quick test to see if the aperture actuator is doing what it is supposed to:
  • M-mode
  • Aperture set to full-open
  • Shutter speed set to 2 seconds
  • While looking into the lens from the front, actuate the shutter
  • Confirm that the aperture continues to stay open and does NOT stop down
If the lens stops down when it is supposed to stay fully open, there is a fault in the mechanism that controls the aperture coupling.

Steve
10-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both for the input.

The lens and body are well beyond warranty support unfortunately!

Steve, I tried the test you described, and can confirm that the aperture does not stay fully open.

It makes me think that although the hardware is functional (the body can still manipulate the aperture), the software has become corrupt because it's not controlling the actuator correctly? Or perhaps the actuator is just not sensing it's own position properly, and could do with a clean?

I'll try some more poking around.

10-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I'd blame the lens. I am not sure but isn't the smallest aperture opening on the 18-55 supposed to be f/22 to f/38?

Maybe try cleaning the lens contacts. Does the same behaviour happens with other lenses?
10-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #6

Original Poster
I haven't been able to try any other lenses unfortunately. As Na Horuk says, it should be cheap to find a similar replacement, so maybe I'll try that.

What makes you think it could be the lens (or the contacts)? The body is evidently capable of manipulating the aperture - it just doesn't seem capable of manipulating it correctly.

Is the lens responsible for reporting the position of the aperture back to the body? Could that feedback mechanism be an issue?
10-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Dirty or malfunctioning contacts will not report the lens capabilities correctly to the camera and may fail to report the precise aperture opening. Also, a very slightly bent aperture lever on the lens can have a huge impact.
10-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #8

Original Poster
The body seems to know the range of apertures that should be allowed, and altering the focal length seems to correctly update the effective aperture that's displayed on the LCD display. So based on that, I was assuming that the contacts and associated electronics were ok. Is that a safe assumption to make?

Also, regarding the bent aperture level: Visually, it looks ok, but based on the fact that the aperture is in a normally fully-open state when not in use, and the body only stops it down during a shot, I assumed that mechanism is not at fault.

10-27-2014, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by as2003 Quote
It makes me think that although the hardware is functional (the body can still manipulate the aperture), the software has become corrupt because it's not controlling the actuator correctly? Or perhaps the actuator is just not sensing it's own position properly, and could do with a clean?
The problem is with the electronics that control the stepping motor.

Steve

---------- Post added 10-27-14 at 10:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
I'd blame the lens. I am not sure but isn't the smallest aperture opening on the 18-55 supposed to be f/22 to f/38?

Maybe try cleaning the lens contacts. Does the same behaviour happens with other lenses?
This problem is common on the K-30 and has been reported on the K-r. The fact that the lens is stopping down in M-mode when it is supposed to stay open indicates that the actuator is malfunctioning. The max/min apertures are being communicated properly as is the presence of the "A" contacts. This can be confirmed by simply using the aperture e-dial to set to max/min.

Steve