Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
It does work with the K-S1
Cool! I will edit my post.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-03-14 at 10:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
That is so dumb. The K-S1 is so crippled.
I was mistaken...

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
It does work with the K-S1, at least according to page 88 of the manual. The electronic compass as well as automatically setting the time to the satellites, too, but not the simple navigation.

11-03-2014, 11:19 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[/COLOR]
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If all you want is Astrotracing, you also have the option of some sort of equatorial mount similar to that used by astronomers. I believe there are some posts on this site regarding a "barn door" device that is sort of the low-end, low-tech solution. Tuco (site member) built one for himself with good results:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/yo_tuco/13993881276/

Steve
I'm pretty intimidated by the idea of making one of these. Is there a place that sells quality ones? They look like they attach to a tripod?
11-04-2014, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
[/COLOR]

I'm pretty intimidated by the idea of making one of these. Is there a place that sells quality ones? They look like they attach to a tripod?
Yes, the barn door tracker mounts to a tripod and the camera is mounted to the top plate of the barn door. The axis of the long hinge is aligned with the north star and the angle is changed turning a long bolt. The action can be motorized or you can turn the bolt manually. There are a number of hobbyist pages on the Web with DIY instructions.

Astrotrac sells a very slick product that works on the same principle, but the cost is almost as much as a used camera + O-GPS1

Astrophotography Made Easy - Home

Another option would be to buy a used telescope with motorized equatorial mount and mount a camera in tandem.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-04-14 at 09:28 AM ----------

B&H also has a selection of tracking mounts at various price points...

Astrophotography | B&H Photo Video

Steve