Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #1

HELP-Re: Pentax Kr shooting modes not working

It's the new guy, back again for some much needed help.

Seems that overnight while setting on my gear bench, my Pentax Kr decided that today it would not work in any mode other than M, AV and Movie mode,.... it was fine yesterday, it worked in every mode the dial was set to,.. so, today I picked it up, turned it on to use it and set the dial to Macro and only got the AV mode,.. I fiddled around with it for about an hour and got nowhere, can't get it to work an any setting other than M, AV or Movie mode,.. anyone know what's going on with this thing or is me not doing something right ?

I'll tell ya, I just got this camera and I'm already thinking about going back to a Canon model because this Kr is so frustrating to figure out.

Thanks

11-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Did you try resetting the camera?
11-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What lens are you using? Lenses that were made before AF was invented, before auto-aperture was invented, only allow M and Av mode. M mode lets you choose ISO and shutter speed, while you choose the aperture on the lens (you must Enable Aperture Ring in the back of the camera's Menu). You can press the green button and the camera will stop down and give you the shutter speed that it deems appropriate.
In Av mode, you can choose Auto-ISO, and the metering is continuous, but you cannot choose shutter speed or aperture. The aperture is always widest open (smallest f-number, shallowest DoF)

If you are using a modern lens and you can only use M and Av mode, the lens might not be mounted correctly or the contacts on the lens or camera mount might be dirty or defective.
11-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Did you try resetting the camera?
Yes, I've tried resetting with no results.

---------- Post added 11-02-14 at 03:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
What lens are you using? Lenses that were made before AF was invented, before auto-aperture was invented, only allow M and Av mode. M mode lets you choose ISO and shutter speed, while you choose the aperture on the lens (you must Enable Aperture Ring in the back of the camera's Menu). You can press the green button and the camera will stop down and give you the shutter speed that it deems appropriate.
In Av mode, you can choose Auto-ISO, and the metering is continuous, but you cannot choose shutter speed or aperture. The aperture is always widest open (smallest f-number, shallowest DoF)

If you are using a modern lens and you can only use M and Av mode, the lens might not be mounted correctly or the contacts on the lens or camera mount might be dirty or defective.
Well, now maybe your onto something here, I tried changing the lens I had been using yesterday that was still on the camera, a 28-80mm Quantaray auto focus, I put the 18-55mm kit lens that came with the camera back on it and magically all of the shooting modes returned to normal.

That said, I have no idea of why the shooting modes will no longer work with the Quantaray lens as they worked perfectly well yesterday when I was out shooting photos, I also checked to see how a 70-200mm auto focus Takamura lens that I also have used on this camera would work and I found that the modes are acting the same as with the Quantaray, the only modes I can dial into are the M,AV and Movie, this is really weird because this non-functioning of the modes only started happening today.

It's got to be something in the settings but I just haven't got a clue what it could be being new to Pentax cameras, I've never encountered anything like this before and I'm just at a loss to figure it out, thus the plea for help here.

11-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #5

Original Poster
Alright, mode problem solved after some head banging against the wall.

Both my Takumar and Quantaray auto focus lenses have f/ rings on the bottom of the lenses to set f#, there is also an "A" lock position on these rings,.... evidently in removing the lenses from the camera I accidentally turned the rings off the "A" lock position,.... this is what was confusing the camera and it would only work in M, AV and Movie modes,... since I put the f/ rings back in the "A" lock position the camera now works perfectly in all modes_case closed.
11-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Maine-Man Quote
Alright, mode problem solved after some head banging against the wall.

Both my Takumar and Quantaray auto focus lenses have f/ rings on the bottom of the lenses to set f#, there is also an "A" lock position on these rings,.... evidently in removing the lenses from the camera I accidentally turned the rings off the "A" lock position,.... this is what was confusing the camera and it would only work in M, AV and Movie modes,... since I put the f/ rings back in the "A" lock position the camera now works perfectly in all modes_case closed.
That is one reason why you should never go back to Canon as it will make you dumb (so you have no clue what is going on); the k-r camera will train you to become smarter and better photographer. pun intended of course... have fun...
11-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
That is one reason why you should never go back to Canon as it will make you dumb (so you have no clue what is going on); the k-r camera will train you to become smarter and better photographer. pun intended of course... have fun...

You are probably right alenox3, things where a lot simpler using a Canon but I do remember a time when I though I'd never figure out how to use one of those, I guess I'll stumble along and find my way using this Pentax Kr, even if it does hurt my little brain right now.

Thanks for the encouragement, happy shooting to ya.