Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2014, 05:07 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Lens Quote
Greetings to all

Im new in photography, and also a new guy here. Im watching the forum for about six months, yet this is my first post here.
I currently own a Pentax k50 (metal green) with two lenses. The casual 18-55 kit lens, and the M 50mm 1.7. Im really happy with my photos so far, but some times with the 50mm its really hard to compose indoors or if the subject is to close to me. So im down on the road for a wider lens, that i also want to be faster than the kit lens. Im thinking of buying the DA 21mm F3.2 Limited, but i dont think this is a fast as i wanted. I know there are manual focus lenses that maybe i should give them a try, but its really hard for me to focus manually in low light situations.
Also i feel jealus about the other brants like sony because they have some really good and fast lenses for their aps sensor cameras.
So this is my question, is the f3.2 fast enough? Is it going to be an improvement compared to my kit lens? Im doing photography for fun and i dont want to "waste" money. I need your help and your opinions
Thanks in advance
One of my friends has a good trick to know what lens he needs. Rent! Jus find a deal to rent a lot of lenses and take it to home and play. Soon you will find which lens you like most.

Of course, he is from canikon. So it is very easy to rent. Not sure we can do so for pentax.

11-03-2014, 05:21 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome!
The 21mm is fast enough for city, landscapes, and architecture photos. Maybe its not perfect for really low light photos, but how many times do you use a wide angle in low light? Its main strengths are that it is very small, and works well at f4-f11, where wide angles are usually used.
But feel free to look for a Sigma 30mm f1.4, or buy a manual-focus Samyang 24mm f1.4. I have the Samyang 14mm f2.8, but I rarely use it faster than f4. Just no need. DoF is more important, so I use tripod or something for low light.

Many of us on this forum agree, though, that the Pentax lineup right now needs some AF prime lenses between 21mm and 31mm. Luckily there are other brands and legacy lenses, as well as some zoom lenses. The Tamron f2.8 that was mentioned earlier should be a big improvement over the kit lens.
11-03-2014, 05:34 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
About the 17/50 2.8, I read a lot of comments on internet and it seems that the Tamron (cheapest) is not as good as Sigma. Tamron looks more difficult to find a good one, it seems that a lot of people needed to send it back one or more times to find a good one. This is what I read, not my direct experience.

Some days ago I was looking for some good advices about prime lenses and some other PF members said me about the Sigma 17/50. I read a lot of review and opinion and it looks like a great lens compared with the more expensive primes and much more versatile because it goes from very wide to portrait with a good quality and it is quite fast. I think that is a good choice, as soon as possible I will buy one.
I have the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and it's a great lens! Sharper than my DA16-45 f4.
11-03-2014, 05:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Put the 18-55 on the camera, use the flash if you have to and take a series of images using the zoom feature. These may not be keepers.

By the time you shoot 100 images a clear pattern for preferred focal length should begin to emerge. This the range you need to shop.

A hard look at you bank balance or available CC li,it will narrow down the selections even more for you.

I personally find the 21 and a high ISO range to be suitable for all but the darkest of locations.

11-03-2014, 05:56 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
About the 17/50 2.8, I read a lot of comments on internet and it seems that the Tamron (cheapest) is not as good as Sigma. Tamron looks more difficult to find a good one, it seems that a lot of people needed to send it back one or more times to find a good one. This is what I read, not my direct experience.
true story, my Tmaron copy was front/back focus randomly and the sigma 17-50 is a stack-of-prime !! very useful in any normal condition
11-03-2014, 06:06 AM   #21
Pentaxian

You want fast and wide with exceptional quality. Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM (Art)
11-03-2014, 06:22 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

well , I can not find a lens that does not actually suit me, everyone of them has its unique properties and characteristics
11-03-2014, 06:25 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Some days ago I was looking for some good advices about prime lenses and some other PF members said me about the Sigma 17/50. I read a lot of review and opinion and it looks like a great lens compared with the more expensive primes and much more versatile because it goes from very wide to portrait with a good quality and it is quite fast. I think that is a good choice, as soon as possible I will buy one.

FWIW I got a brand new Tamron this April, it's in perfect working order. I too feared QC issues but 6 year warranty helped there. This lens is not 'special' like its longer brother (70-200), but it does a decent job at very good price.
Have no experience with Sigma.

Last edited by cxdoo; 11-03-2014 at 06:25 AM. Reason: grammar
11-03-2014, 06:31 AM   #24
Pentaxian

A vote for the Tamron 17-50 here. I haven't used the Sigma. I can't say which is better, I haven't heard any comments on the internet that say it's not the best. According to Photozone it's sharper in and more consistent, and a half star better than the Sigma. A full star better rated for value. And at Photozone, they actually test the lenses etc. it's not just some guy on the net's impression, where he took his Sigma 17-50 off the camera, put on a Tammy 17-50, took two shots, and said "I don't like it". Like the video on 70-200s, where the only place Tamron seemed to get a bad rap was on the "feel" of the lens and it's construction, but the lens optically was right up there with Canon and Nikon lenses, for less than half the price. So if there's one thing I've noticed in peoples opinions on the internet, Tamron lenses get a bad rap, from other lens owners, not from people who actually use the lenses. There are a lot of people who just refuse to believe they could have bought a better lens for a lot less money. It's understandable, but hardly a recommendation for a lens.

If you're planning to use it in museums the quieter HSM motor would be nice. But you're going to pay for it.
Sigma AF 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM (Nikon) - Review / Test Report - Sample Shots & Verdict
Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] (Nikon) - Review / Test Report - Analysis
11-03-2014, 06:35 AM   #25
Forum Member

I did have the Tamron 17-50 and wasn't very satisfied with it. Wide open, it seemed to me that about 1/5 of the frame on the right side was noticeably softer than the rest of the frame. Plus, the rest of the frame was sharp only IF the lens focused properly. Which, in many cases, it didn't - not even in bright light (cameras: k-x and k-5). It either front- or backfocused randomly at different focal lengths, I couldn't find a way to fix it with focus adjustment in k-5. When stopped down and carefully manually focused, the IQ was excellent, I've got to give it that. So I got a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 and I bought it from a guy who had owned all three - Tamron 17-50, Pentax 16-50 and Sigma 17-50, and he said the Sigma was the best. So far I can confirm that - the IQ is very high, and the focusing is much more reliable. It won't focus accurately only in very difficult lighting scenarios, but other than that, it focuses better than my DA* 50-135 - faster and more accurately. It drains the battery just a little bit faster than other lenses, because it needs power to keep the lenses aligned (even when the IS is off), but I can live with that. Also, there is a non-IS version out there, or so I heard.
11-03-2014, 06:35 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
FWIW I got a brand new Tamron this April, it's in perfect working order.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A vote for the Tamron 17-50 here.
I am not against Tamron at all, I have an old Tamron 28/200 and considering that is a cheap lens I like it a lot!
I just wrote what I read over the net because before to buy and regret I prefer to read a lot of opinions.
11-03-2014, 07:02 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Happyman Quote
I did have the Tamron 17-50 and wasn't very satisfied with it. Wide open, it seemed to me that about 1/5 of the frame on the right side was noticeably softer than the rest of the frame. Plus, the rest of the frame was sharp only IF the lens focused properly. Which, in many cases, it didn't - not even in bright light (cameras: k-x and k-5). It either front- or backfocused randomly at different focal lengths, I couldn't find a way to fix it with focus adjustment in k-5. When stopped down and carefully manually focused, the IQ was excellent, I've got to give it that. So I got a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 and I bought it from a guy who had owned all three - Tamron 17-50, Pentax 16-50 and Sigma 17-50, and he said the Sigma was the best. So far I can confirm that - the IQ is very high, and the focusing is much more reliable. It won't focus accurately only in very difficult lighting scenarios, but other than that, it focuses better than my DA* 50-135 - faster and more accurately. It drains the battery just a little bit faster than other lenses, because it needs power to keep the lenses aligned (even when the IS is off), but I can live with that. Also, there is a non-IS version out there, or so I heard.
Sounds your Tamron 17-50 like a lens you should have sent back or exchanged...and according to LensRentals that can happen with any lens. There are many people who don't have the issues you had with their copy. But the issues you had with your Tamron, I have with my Sigma 18-250, (rich reminds me, I have to send that back to Sigma to see if they can do anything for it) .. it doesn't matter which company you go with, you have to make sure you get a good copy. Testing one company's bad copy against another company's good copy, doesn't tell you anything.
11-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #28

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
You want fast and wide with exceptional quality. Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM (Art)
I third(really, only 2 mentioned this so far?!) the Sigma 18-35 F1.8 ART for the definitive best lens right now for wide angle. Wide angle and low light... everyone has been looking for this and even other brands with FF are starting to see the 18-35 F1.8 as a game changer. Without this lens, Pentax is really lacking. There aren't many other SHARP at F2.0 wide angle lenses... Sigma primes and the Pentax 24mm F2 are really the only two that I have found and even those aren't very sharp at F2 from what I read. I don't see 30mm as wide angle and F2.8 isn't really good enough at low light movement.
11-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by airjames Quote
I third(really, only 2 mentioned this so far?!) the Sigma 18-35 F1.8 ART for the definitive best lens right now for wide angle. Wide angle and low light... everyone has been looking for this and even other brands with FF are starting to see the 18-35 F1.8 as a game changer. Without this lens, Pentax is really lacking. There aren't many other SHARP at F2.0 wide angle lenses... Sigma primes and the Pentax 24mm F2 are really the only two that I have found and even those aren't very sharp at F2 from what I read. I don't see 30mm as wide angle and F2.8 isn't really good enough at low light movement.
OK, so I have to ask. What lenses, on any system, are sharp at 2 and how much do they cost?

For guys like myself who actually have to carry their gear, lenses like the Sigma 18-35 1.8 are specialty lenses. Great to have for the odd time you need it, and know you're going to need it in advance, but hardly lens I'm going to carry around in my camera bag, just in case I need it, when 90% of the time I'll get the image i want with the 18-135 that's on my camera.
11-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Sigma 28mm f1.8 macro - nice lens, but big. It's more useful at f1.8 than I would have expected, and has a great "normal" view.

I did buy a DA 21mm this spring, and have also used this indoors with no troubles. I like that lens a lot, it also has good rendering and is notably wider than the 28mm.

The ISO ability with modern cameras means f3.2 is more useful than you think. I have, however, taken plenty of images in very dark situations with the Sigma - using ambient light. You actually have to be careful not to completely overexpose light sources in these situations. In my Flickr stream you can find a folder of underground and indoor shots in Cincinnati using the Sigma.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/ter-or/T46s3p