Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I like Tamron, Sigma i like too, but.. I heard about the Sigma more bad reviews in general than about Tamron.
Although lately Sigma started producing very decent lens, and for different systems!

11-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've tried a few wide fast lenses, the mir-20m (not sharp enough), Vivitar 17mm (not sharp enough).
I've ended up with:
a Pentax-A 35mm F2 (very sharp and fast, easy to use, not too expensive, not very wide),
a Pentax-A 28mm F2.8 (sharp, easy to use, not too expensive, not very wide),
a Pentax-DA 14mm F2.8 (very sharp, easy to use, very wide, very expensive).

Don't be afraid of manual lenses at short focal lengths, they are easy to focus, even with my 50yr old eyes.
11-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Sigma 17-50 f2.8 my friend. Relatively affordable, very good IQ, Silent AF... I think you'll love it.
11-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
Sigma 17-50 f2.8 my friend. Relatively affordable, very good IQ, Silent AF... I think you'll love it.
+1, cannot recommend this lens enough !!!

11-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #35
Site Supporter

The 16/17-50 f/2.8 zooms are excellent, but don't dis the DA21. It is only 1/3 stop slower, and it's tiny, fast and close focussing, and renders colours beautifully. It is very usable indoors. These are both at f/3.2

11-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gor80 Quote
heard about the Sigma more bad reviews in general than about Tamron
sigma now is an amazing lens producer, they make the whole world think twice before buying any lens !
11-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #37
Site Supporter

The newest Sigma 17-50 2.8 is a really nice lens with better IQ than the Tamron, plus HSM. The Tamron was my first fast zoom and I later owned the newer Sigma for a bit, which I thought it was a lot better than my Tamron. Of course I ended up getting rid of it and got the 21 Limited, which I love. I think the Pentax-FA 50 1.7 is Pentax's best 50mm lens, and I have tried most (with the exception of the screwmount 50s). I recently (and finally) got the 31 Limited, which took a long time to save up for (thankfully the wife doesn't pay attention to details about lenses - to her a lens is a lens) and I feel I may start neglecting the 21 and the FA 50 in favor of it, but I will not get rid of either of them as I still love using them and complete most of the zoom range of the 17-50. I have just found that Pentax lenses rendition is so much better than the Tamron and Sigma zooms. To fair though, I have not tried any primes from Tamron and Sigma but I think the Pentax 18-135 renders better than their faster, shorter zooms. Basically, I've tried the Pentax primes and have no desire or incentive to explore Tamron and Sigma equivalents. I did however start with the Tamron 70-200 2.8, go to Pentax DA* 60-250 and ended up back with the Tammy, despite all the praise of the 60-250. Maybe a bad copy, maybe personal preference, maybe 2.8 compared to 4, but I went back to the Tammy on that one.
11-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by transam879 Quote
I think the Pentax-FA 50 1.7 is Pentax's best 50mm lens, and I have tried most (with the exception of the screwmount 50s).
Oooooh, them's fightin' words! Have you tried the A50/1.2?

11-04-2014, 03:28 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by transam879 Quote
I went back to the Tammy on that one.
Tamron 70-200 2.8 is highly recommended, you cann't go wrong with that
11-04-2014, 04:08 AM   #40
Veteran Member

May I suggest a cheap wide-angle alternative: the Sigma 24mm f2.8 AF Super Wide II. It can be found relatively cheap and is a nice sharp wide-angle lens.
11-04-2014, 04:44 AM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Oooooh, them's fightin' words! Have you tried the A50/1.2?
agree, or the A50/1.7
11-04-2014, 05:14 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
OK, so I have to ask. What lenses, on any system, are sharp at ƒ2 and how much do they cost?

For guys like myself who actually have to carry their gear, lenses like the Sigma 18-35 ƒ1.8 are specialty lenses. Great to have for the odd time you need it, and know you're going to need it in advance, but hardly lens I'm going to carry around in my camera bag, just in case I need it, when 90% of the time I'll get the image i want with the 18-135 that's on my camera.
Normhead, the Sigma 18-35 F1.8 seems like a very heavy lens indeed.
Here is the review:
Review: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM "Art" - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
This lens is truly a game changer and is going to be an all around lens despite it's weight and size. Here's a quote from that review:
"Looking for a 35mm F1.8, 28mm F1.8, or 24mm F1.8? Even worse, an 18mm F1.8? The lack of fast wide-angle lenses available for K-mount has been a sore subject among Pentaxians for quite some time, with but a few third party options available."
The OP of this thread discussion started with a low light, wider angle lens and your reasons behind not choosing this lens may be why it took so long for such a beast to show in the Pentax world.

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
May I suggest a cheap wide-angle alternative: the Sigma 24mm f2.8 AF Super Wide II. It can be found relatively cheap and is a nice sharp wide-angle lens.
I don't think even ISO 1600 and F2.8 is good enough for truly lower light situations, where there is no outdoor light, little indoor light, and any action. At ISO 3200 noise becomes more of an issue unless someone with specialty noise reduction software can rebutt. Here's a quote I found on the web while searching for noise reduction software. I personally use Lightroom 5 although I haven't used Photoshop's ACR. Am considering Topaz Denoise.

"My main raw convertor is Photo Ninja, which contains Noise Ninja. I find that it does noise reduction quite well, certainly better than LR/ACR. On super high ISO files (e.g. ISO 12,800), NN produces a fine, even grain pattern that is very film-like. In this case, grain is a good thing, as it tricks the brain into thinking that an image is sharper and more detailed than it actually is. (Remember, noise reduction always reduces detail.) At normal viewing sizes, the grain is practically invisible. I much prefer that to the grainless, but smeared and blotchy, look that I get from DxO Prime. Perhaps I am not using Prime properly, but I have spent a great deal of time experimenting with it. If anyone has some useful tips, I would appreciate hearing them.

For converted files, I have several different NR programs, including Topaz DeNoise, Nik Dfine and Noiseware Professional. I find that I use Dfine the most, because it makes it easy to apply the NR locally. That said, Topaz is probably the most powerful."

Rob

I'm thinking with this software, it might start being possible to use higher ISO's to achieve F2.8 ISO 3200, low indoor only light, action photos. Can anyone confirm if this is possible? If so, I would then switch my secondary vote to the FA20 F2.8 behind of course the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 Art.

Last edited by airjames; 11-04-2014 at 05:35 AM.
11-04-2014, 05:18 AM   #43
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Have you tried the A50/1.2?
I have, she's my "Special Lady".
11-04-2014, 06:45 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I second the rent idea. It's a great way to get a feel for different lenses. I've rented from CameraLensRental.com - Your online source for lens rentals and camera rentals a number of times and they have been pretty awesome. They also have a pretty good selection of pentax lenses. In the long run it's better to do some research and try things out than to just start buying lenses willy-nilly. It'll save you A LOT of money in the long run.
11-04-2014, 07:12 AM   #45
Site Supporter

For those in the UK, SRS Microsystems do camera and lens hire:
Pentax Hire | SRS Microsystems