Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2014, 01:38 AM   #1

I can not find a lens that suits me

Greetings to all

Im new in photography, and also a new guy here. Im watching the forum for about six months, yet this is my first post here.
I currently own a Pentax k50 (metal green) with two lenses. The casual 18-55 kit lens, and the M 50mm 1.7. Im really happy with my photos so far, but some times with the 50mm its really hard to compose indoors or if the subject is to close to me. So im down on the road for a wider lens, that i also want to be faster than the kit lens. Im thinking of buying the DA 21mm F3.2 Limited, but i dont think this is a fast as i wanted. I know there are manual focus lenses that maybe i should give them a try, but its really hard for me to focus manually in low light situations.
Also i feel jealus about the other brants like sony because they have some really good and fast lenses for their aps sensor cameras.
So this is my question, is the f3.2 fast enough? Is it going to be an improvement compared to my kit lens? Im doing photography for fun and i dont want to "waste" money. I need your help and your opinions
Thanks in advance

11-03-2014, 02:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax FA* 24/2
Sigma 20/1.8
Pentax FA 31/1.8
Etc
there's a coupe of options at least!

Why limit yourself to apsc only lenses? The FA's are still smaller than most other brands lenses.
11-03-2014, 02:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For what I see there is a Pentax lens for every need and if you want something a little cheaper, you can search for K-mount Tamron and Sigma. I think that 3.2 is a bit high for indoor, but you could search between the old series too and find a cheap automatic prime. Give a look at Pentax lens reviews in this forum considering good ones even F series or if you like manual focus, A series too.
11-03-2014, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I am of the opinion that a good 17-50mm f2.8 zoom will make up for any prime within that range that is not significantly faster than it.

17mm @ f2.8 works quite well for a fast and wide indoor lens. It might be something to look at if you want to upgrade your kit lens down the road.

11-03-2014, 03:18 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your answers i will take a look for the Sigma AF 28mm f/1.8 EX DG
11-03-2014, 03:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If you have your eye on Sony lenses, why don't you get a Sony?
11-03-2014, 03:27 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
If you have your eye on Sony lenses, why don't you get a Sony?
I dont know.. is this possible?
11-03-2014, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

There's also the Sigma 30mm/1.4 EX. It's discontinued but in circulation on the second hand market.
The Pentax FA35/2 is another option, available new.

Have you considered using flash indoors? If you master indirect bounce flash and the room is suitable (white low ceilings),
it's a really good solution in many cases. It delivers a crispness that no available light shot can obtain, IMHO.

Regards,
--Anders.

11-03-2014, 03:43 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Just to make things clear as I don't know if the myth is alive. Focal length is a lens spec and fulllframe or apsc doesn't matter when put on an apsc camera.
11-03-2014, 03:48 AM   #10
NKK
Veteran Member

Have you thought about the DA 35mm F2.4? I Know it's not a speed monster, but it's a joy to use, pretty fast, great IQ and it will not break the bank.
11-03-2014, 03:51 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Lens Quote
I dont know.. is this possible?
If you get a Sony body...
11-03-2014, 03:53 AM   #12

Original Poster
I have to shoot more photo to clarify what focal lenght is good for me. I think that i mostly soot on 20mm-30mm on my kit lens

---------- Post added 11-03-14 at 12:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
If you get a Sony body...
Nah. im not changing my k50 for any camera
11-03-2014, 03:59 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
I am of the opinion that a good 17-50mm f2.8 zoom will make up for any prime within that range that is not significantly faster than it.
totally agree ! either a Tamron or a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 is great !
11-03-2014, 04:30 AM   #14
Site Supporter

The Tamron 17-50 2.8 is a good upgrade over the kit lens and can be found for a good price, the newer Sigma 17-50 2.8 is better IQ-wise but more expensive. The 21 Limited is definitely an upgrade but not as fast as you may like. The Pentax-F 28 2.8 is also a good option if you prefer to supplement your kit zoom with a prime. Ultimately you may want to save for the 31 Limited which is a legend; it is a versatile and practical focal length and it should be fast enough for most indoor shooting conditions. You can always buy used and if it doesn't fit your need, you can resell it in the marketplace. I started out with zooms on the wide-normal end several years ago and eventually switched over to primes, which are smaller in size and produce much better IQ than most zooms. I still use zooms on the long end but I don't shoot much with them so I can't justify the expense of modern telephoto primes at this point. If you are looking for a fast wide zoom, there's Sigma's 18-35 1.8, which like the 31 Limited comes with a hefty price tag.
11-03-2014, 04:43 AM   #15
Pentaxian

About the 17/50 2.8, I read a lot of comments on internet and it seems that the Tamron (cheapest) is not as good as Sigma. Tamron looks more difficult to find a good one, it seems that a lot of people needed to send it back one or more times to find a good one. This is what I read, not my direct experience.

Some days ago I was looking for some good advices about prime lenses and some other PF members said me about the Sigma 17/50. I read a lot of review and opinion and it looks like a great lens compared with the more expensive primes and much more versatile because it goes from very wide to portrait with a good quality and it is quite fast. I think that is a good choice, as soon as possible I will buy one.