Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2014, 03:44 AM   #1

k30 software

Hi, have just purchased(s/h) a Pentax k30, very nice camera and a step up from my Panasonic g5, I hope!. One problem I have come across is that the software supplied does not seem to work on my computer , which is running on W indows 8.1, The disc has loaded the pentax software but then when I try and transfer pictures from the camera to the computer, nothing happens , is it because the camera is not compatible with the later version of Windows or is there a way around it? thanks in advancefor any advice, sorry but new to all this if this is an often asked question

11-03-2014, 05:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The software that came with it should have nothing to do with your Windows recognition. Anytime you plug any standard device with an inserted SD card whether it be your camera via the supplied usb cord, a card reader or via a wireless device your windows should recognize and assign a temporary drive number containing a DCIM folder from which to copy the photos from. Then it is a matter of either using windows explorer to find the dcim folder and copy them to another folder within your C drive or another permanent drive or use an assigned software that recognizes and auto downloads and catalogs them such as Lightroom, Picassa, Photoshop etc. Granted the Software on the CD that came with your camera may not be windows 8.1 compatible and need updating but that shouldn't prevent your computer from recognition.
11-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
The software that came with it should have nothing to do with your Windows recognition. Anytime you plug any standard device with an inserted SD card whether it be your camera via the supplied usb cord, a card reader or via a wireless device your windows should recognize and assign a temporary drive number containing a DCIM folder from which to copy the photos from. Then it is a matter of either using windows explorer to find the dcim folder and copy them to another folder within your C drive or another permanent drive or use an assigned software that recognizes and auto downloads and catalogs them such as Lightroom, Picassa, Photoshop etc. Granted the Software on the CD that came with your camera may not be windows 8.1 compatible and need updating but that shouldn't prevent your computer from recognition.
Sorry, maybe i didnt explain it enough, the computer recognises the camera through the software that is installed for my previous Panasonic but ,according to the Pentax manual ,when I plug in the usb between the computer and the k 30 then the Silkypix software should work but it does nothing that will allow me to download any photos, so I am still downloading them to the Panasonic album. , does this seem right?
11-03-2014, 06:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robdalej Quote
Sorry, maybe i didnt explain it enough, the computer recognises the camera through the software that is installed for my previous Panasonic but ,according to the Pentax manual ,when I plug in the usb between the computer and the k 30 then the Silkypix software should work but it does nothing that will allow me to download any photos, so I am still downloading them to the Panasonic album. , does this seem right?
Yes, if you have a previously installed software sometimes when installing new software it will not change the windows auto run command to the newer installed software. In that case then you need to manually change it to the software/file type you want in Windows. Still in all though you may need to update the Silkypix software to run properly with 8.1.

You might even be better off starting with one of the free editing softwares out then purchase one of your liking later on.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 11-03-2014 at 07:04 AM.
11-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
Forum Member

I found Silkypix not very userfriendly. Picasso was what I used with JPEGs until I switched to shooting RAW. I'd suggest getting Lightroom if you do shoot in RAW from any point on. Oh, and welcome! K-30 is a wonderful camera.
11-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anthen Quote
I found Silkypix not very userfriendly. Picasso was what I used with JPEGs until I switched to shooting RAW. I'd suggest getting Lightroom if you do shoot in RAW from any point on. Oh, and welcome! K-30 is a wonderful camera.
What he said. My advice, go to adobe.com , download a free 30 days trial of lightroom and start to use it. If you find it useful (and I bet you will), then you can buy the serial number and continue to use it, keeping all the setting and the edit you've done till that moment. If you need help with lightroon, just ask, you're in the right place.
11-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I also Lightroom for - it's very rich and interesting program gives a lot of potential and creativity in photography
11-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robdalej Quote
I don't think you need Silkypix to download your photos. Silkypix is a RAW converter/photo editor. Personally, I just copy the folders containing my photos onto my computer's hard drive, and organize my folders by date. Even if Silkypix has an "import" mode, I don't think the version that comes with your K-30 has any cataloguing functions. If you want that, you'd need some other program like Lightroom ( I originally typed "problem", must have been a freudian slip ).

I also had problems installing the Silkypix 3.0 software that came with my K-30 on my Windows 8.1 machine. There's an old thread on the topic you could find by searching, but for your convenience, I've copied the important
part below the row of asterisks below.

( note how I got a personal response from Silkypix that fixed my problem, but I'm still living with the Adope problem )

Cheers, Rick

Earlier today I had sent an email query to Silkypix support. I didn't really expect a response. I suppose it would have been in the middle of the night for them ( over in Japan ), but I just got a response back, indicating
that it was a problem with an old version of install shield. They directed me to rename a particular file. For the sake of anyone else who has this problem, I'm reproducing the instructions here:

1. Open the following "RunTime" folder by " Computer"
of the Windows.

- 32bit
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime

- 64bit
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime

2. Right-click the "IsProBE.tlb" file in this "RunTime" folder.
Choose "Rename" from the displayed context menu.

3. Change the file name of the "IsProBE.tlb" file to "IsProBE_old.tlb".

4. Close all displayed windows.

5. Install the latest version of "SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0 for PENTAX."

They didn't say anything about running it in compatibility mode, but to be safe
I set things up for Windows 7 compatibility, and then ran the setup as administrator and poof - it worked. That's pretty darned good turn around for getting a solution from the SW manufacturer in Japan, even if the problem was a simple one. Especially considering the software is a freebie that's given away with the camera.

I also noticed that on this machine, PSE 9 disables the ESC key ( when it's running ). This is quite annoying because that key is important to the usability of FastStone. Adobe forums indicates this was reported years ago ( with Vista ) and nothing has been done about it. Now I have to remember to use shift ESC. Swell. Maybe I should try contacting Adobe support and compare their responsiveness.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/248364-silkypix-3-0-...#ixzz3I1qPRNMa