Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2014, 07:56 PM   #1

Rtired guy needs tutor /instructor for k-30

Hi , I bought my K-30 a year ago with my saved up air miles,and took many photos with it,which turn out nice, but I don't find the 270 page instruction manual very easy to learn from. I have the DSLR Guide for Dummies , which helps, but not a step by step guide.. The camera store where I live has short coarse but just for DSLR's in general and kinda costly.
I need someone who has time on their hands to tell me how use one feature at a time, so I can get the hang of it before going on to the next feature.
If anyone wants to give out info I'd be glad to learn.
Neil

11-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a K-30 and I'd be happy to help. Are you looking for a structured approach, or just someone to pose questions?
11-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recommend Yvon Bourque's excellent series of ebooks on Pentax DSLRs. I have purchased for my K20D and K-3 cameras and can tell you they are far superior to the Pentax manuals. They explain not only the settings but often what and why you should use a particular option, They are in pdf format and can be purchased at the link below.

Quote from site:
"This e-book is not about showing off my qualifications and my pictures, as too many third-party book authors do. It is about you and what information you will need when using the Pentax K-30. The book complements the Pentax's user manual and explains in simple terms how to use the camera. It contains techniques, shortcuts, explanations, tips, examples and photographic information applicable to the K-30 as well as general photography."

Pentax K-30 e-book
(Not affiliated with or receiving compensation from Yvon, just think they're a great way to learn about Pentax cameras )
11-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #4

270 pages? My K30 manual is 290 pages long!😊
Seriously though, it can be initially daunting as modern dslrs have so many features. Try a local photography club; many slrs have similar functions. Also you can youtube anything these days.
Most of all, dont rush to learn every feature: concentrate on the main exposure modes one at a time, learning thoroughly each one before moving to the next one.
The joy of photography is that we are always learning.

11-04-2014, 12:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah !
Run green mode ,
Then try the pre set modes ..
Then try shutter priority and aperture priority
Yes there are a lot of feature to tweak , but often people let these get in the way of taking pictures ..

There are a few basic things to learn , once you understand those then its just a matter of tweaking the camera if you don't like something ..
I don't think there is anything you could not google ..
Youtube is a great resource for information .

I think the big question is , where are you ? What is it you want to learn ? or don't understand .
Charge up your battery , sit down in front of the computer , and scroll through the menu .
Anything you don't understand , just google it right there and then .
11-04-2014, 01:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think that you are in the right place. Here there are a lot of kind people, always available to explain everything.

I started with my first DSLR few months ago and I didn't find the manual very helpful in the beginning. But the net is a great place and I have found a lot of free step to step training (unfortunately are all in italian).
Then, when I knew about exposure, aperture, time, ISO and all these basic things, the manual represented for me an holy book.
On this forum you can find a lot of sources too. Good luck with your camera!
11-04-2014, 07:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Start with the items that matter for all digital dslrs, this gent explains things really well;

I suggest starting with camera controls, then Lens, then exposure, then composition

https://www.youtube.com/user/photoexposed/playlists
11-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xcaret Quote
Hi , I bought my K-30 a year ago with my saved up air miles,and took many photos with it,which turn out nice, but I don't find the 270 page instruction manual very easy to learn from. I have the DSLR Guide for Dummies , which helps, but not a step by step guide.. The camera store where I live has short coarse but just for DSLR's in general and kinda costly.
I need someone who has time on their hands to tell me how use one feature at a time, so I can get the hang of it before going on to the next feature.
If anyone wants to give out info I'd be glad to learn.
Neil
I have a different type of suggestion, I'm a retired guy also and feel ALL the comments above are good advice But I think the best way to start is to do the following take a community college class in photography you will learn how to shoot using "Manual" using F stops and Shutter speeds,and ISO, you will learn the relationships between the three. Then you will have a great basis for all the things your camera can do. You will know how and when to shoot manual which won't be that often, you will understand AV (aperture priority) most likely your "go to", TV (shutter priority or Time Value) etc as well as how ISO which used to mean "film" speed relaters to the the other two. Also Program does a really good job. Do get the book mentioned before about your camera it will help you adjust settings in to camera. Also most good photogs shoot RAW which gives a lot more latitude in what you can do in post processing. A really good starter program is Photoshop Elements about $99.

11-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
But I think the best way to start is to do the following take a community college class in photography
I agree. I did this myself. I also got Bryan Peterson;s book "Understanding Exposure' which is probably the best book for someone serious about getting off Auto mode and the rest of it was just practice.