Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K30 and Super Takumar 35mm/3.5....Lens specific problem??

Ok....Here goes.....
I have a K30 and only shoot only old glass. ALL my lenses work in M and AV mode with no problem other than a bit of exposure compensation +/- depending on lens and mode.
BUT.......I have this sweet Super Takumar 35mm/3.5 that just wont work in M mode with the viewfinder.
No matter what I do it just wont meter correctly , nor will the green button do anything at all ? The green button wont give anything other than a locked reading like 250 ? This is only through the viewfinder.
Live view appears to work ok , but if I use prievew , it skews the stuck reading on a different value and it just sits there......stuck on that value.

Now here is the interesting thing.....this specific lens DOES NOT make any contact with the electronic contacts on the body. The Super Takumar 35mm/f3.5 does not have the diameter to cover the contacts !
If I take a piece of aluminum foil and scrunch it across them it now seems to meter as it should using the green button .

Does anyone have a solution ?

I must maintain 00 focus with this landscape lens, so a different M42 adapter to short the pins is not useful to me at all as it will stop 00 focus. It isn't acceptable running around with a new camera and a wad of aluminum foil scrunched up on the contacts.........HELP !

From what Im reading this is a specific problem with the k30 and k50 using small diameter m42 pentax lenses that don't make contact with the body electronic pins ? But is there a firmware , or mechanical workaround for this issue ?

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 11-04-2014 at 02:00 PM.
11-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
Ok....Here goes.....
I have a K30 and only shoot old glass. ALL my lenses work in M and AV mode with no problem other than a bit of exposure compensation +/- depending on lens and mode.
BUT.......I have this sweet Super Takumar 35mm/3.5 that just wont work in M mode with the viewfinder. No matter what I do it just wont meter correctly , nor will the green button do anything at all ? The green button wont give anything other than a locked reading like 250 ? This is only through the viewfinder. Live view appears to work ok , but if I use the prievew , it skews the stuck reading on a different value and it just sits there......stuck on that value.

Now here is the interesting thing.....this specific lens DOES NOT make any contact with the electronic contacts on the body. The Super Takumar 35mm/f3.5 does not have the diameter to cover the contacts ! If I take a piece of aluminum foil and scrunch it across them it now seems to meter as it should using the green button .

Does anyone have a solution ?

I must maintain 00 focus with this landscape lens, so a different M42 adapter to short the pins is not useful to me at all as it will stop 00 focus. It isn't acceptable running around with a new camera and a wad of aluminum foil scrunched up on the contacts.........HELP !
There's something about it in the review section of PentaxForums:
S-M-C/Super/Auto Takumar 35mm F3.5 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Wide-Angle Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

" Not only is it M42, but it is so small that it does not meet the electrical contacts on a DSLR. What does this matter? If an M42 lens meets the contacts then it can be used more easily in A mode, as the camera will meter correctly. If there's nothing on the contacts then A mode will underexpose by 2 stops or more, and you'll be better off just using M mode.
11-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Being a M42 means no stop-down capable from camera like a K mount does.
I can use it in Av mode , but its a constant pain stopped down and very dark viewfinder , plus the 2+ compensation.
M mode means no green button metering that is anything remotely close to a proper exposure.
One of my other K lens I use in M mode alot. I focus in wide open and lens set to auto , but then flip the lens selector to manual with a already selected aperature on the lens......then push the green button to give a new reading/setting and shoot away !
I guess its a twist of aluminum foil ........lol
11-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your ST 35/3.5 (as with most M42 lenses) has a non-conductive base and will not work with the K-30 or K-50 green button metering in M mode. This is a known complication and is not related to base diameter. The solution is to shoot it in Av mode taking care to stop the lens down before shooting.

Steve

11-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Being a M42 means no stop-down capable from camera like a K mount does.
*snip*
Right... I always forget that M42 lenses don't have the aperture lever...
I know the feeling, it's like when you invert a prime for macro with an adapter ring (filter thread to K bayonet)...
You focus wide open, you compose, then stop down and all goes black!
11-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Your ST 35/3.5 (as with most M42 lenses) has a non-conductive base and will not work with the K-30 or K-50 green button metering in M mode. This is a known complication and is not related to base diameter. The solution is to shoot it in Av mode taking care to stop the lens down before shooting.

Steve

My friend Jason has a K20 and swears it works in M with his ?
Is this a problem with the K30 and K50 ?
Im also talking with a guy online who says his works ok and I think he has a K5 or K3 but not for sure which one and he says the exact same lens works on M with green button.....?
One of the main reasons I bought this camera was the compatability in M mode with good old M42 lenses .....lol.
Go figure.....lol.
It just has to be a Firmware glitch since aluminum foil cures it........but irritates me !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 11-04-2014 at 05:04 PM.
11-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My Super Tak 35/3.5 works really good in AV. Yes it is true with the contacts, but I do not use any more in M mode. It seems to work.

11-04-2014, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
without anything making contact no M mode using Green button.......
With aluminum foil.....M mode works just fine and so does Green button......

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-19-2015 at 12:04 AM.
11-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, the lens works fine w/ green button to set exposure in M mode on my K-5 (I just checked it), and I recall doing so w/ my K20d and K-x. Although my usual approach is in AV mode w/ M42 lenses--indeed that is why they (using zone focusing) are often the best option for street photography.
11-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My friend Jason has a K20 and swears it works in M with his ?
Different cameras. This is a known issue with the K-30 and K-50 that surfaced not long after the camera debutted. I took part in the initial report threads where the details were hashed out. This is not an issue with the most other Pentax dSLRs*. I have personally confirmed the conductive base issue and workaround on the K-50 which is functionally almost identical to your K-30.

Your K-30's behavior with non-conductive-base lenses appears to be congruent with other users on this site. Use Av mode and EV Comp as a workaround.

Steve

* I can't say concerning the K-500, K-S1, or K-01. All of the others work fine using the green button or equivalent in M mode.

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-04-2014 at 08:55 PM.
11-05-2014, 05:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Different cameras. This is a known issue with the K-30 and K-50 that surfaced not long after the camera debutted. I took part in the initial report threads where the details were hashed out. This is not an issue with the most other Pentax dSLRs*. I have personally confirmed the conductive base issue and workaround on the K-50 which is functionally almost identical to your K-30.

Your K-30's behavior with non-conductive-base lenses appears to be congruent with other users on this site. Use Av mode and EV Comp as a workaround.

Steve

Ok.....This is what I want/need to hear.
Not knowing exactly what is going on leads to confusion in dealing with a problem
The sad part is this lens worked fine on the K5 II I initially purchased and sold as it locked up the third day I had it and had to send it to be repaired (checked it last night at friends that bought it).
Im irritated and frustrated , but will still go Pentax as this K30 still smokes ALL the Rebels I tried.

My current workaround is to go buy the SMC-K 35/3.5 that is so highly rated , and bag the Super Takumar until the frustration subsides a bit.

Thanks a lot.

---------- Post added 11-05-14 at 07:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Yes, the lens works fine w/ green button to set exposure in M mode on my K-5 (I just checked it), and I recall doing so w/ my K20d and K-x. Although my usual approach is in AV mode w/ M42 lenses--indeed that is why they (using zone focusing) are often the best option for street photography.

THANKS ! I I tried the Av mode , but seemed to keep having to change the compensation value too often ?
it seemed the lens/meter IQ has a significant amount of variation at different aperatures and I cant seem to be consistent without also bracketing at 1/3Ev.
I know that learning a new camera/lens combination has its quirks and sweet spots , but this has me wanting to go bash my head on a tree !
The mentioned lens has produced some amazing portrait/landscape images ...... I hate to give up on it.
Im thinking hard of just getting the SMC-K 35/3.5 that wont have the issue in M ?
Any suggestions on EV compensation would be appreciated in Av Mode ...... Thanks again.
11-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I tried the Av mode , but seemed to keep having to change the compensation value too often ?
Yes, this is the flip side to using Av mode. Metering may not be consistent at different apertures and EV comp must be frequently adjusted. Ackk! There are times when I think that a hand-held meter and M mode is easier!

Steve
11-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, this is the flip side to using Av mode. Metering may not be consistent at different apertures and EV comp must be frequently adjusted. Ackk! There are times when I think that a hand-held meter and M mode is easier!

Steve
That was my very FIRST idea when this all came about ! Hmmmmmmm........
11-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #14

I have exactly the same gap as in az1895's photograph. I received my first m42 lens yesterday, the Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4. On my K30 the green button works sporadically, and as previously stated Av mode is unreliable exposure wise. Aluminium Foil... here I come.
11-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #15
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Someone else can say if I am wrong--but the metering w/ a M42 lens and a (pre A) K lens should be the same--and thus you need to come up with a e.v. correction vs f/stop either way--as both are metering at the taking f/stop--unlike an A lens.