Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #1

K3 AF Points

I've just bought a K3 and haven't yet got my head fully around the AF. So far, I'm only seeing one AF point displayed in the viewfinder even though I have selected different AF modes. Depending on the AF mode selected, should more than one AF point be displayed at any one time?

I'm comparing the K3 to the Nikon D7100 I tried whilst I was in the shop. The Nikon was displaying several AF points at once.

I'm new to the K3! But any help would be gratefully appreciated.

11-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Newman Quote
should more than one AF point be displayed at any one time?
Negative, you'll only ever see one point light up. The K-3 isn't a Nikon All of its 27 points will still be used/considered, however.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

As Adam said, the red indicator in the Pentax viewfinder only show the single point* being used for the AF determination. Actual focus acquisition is signaled by display of the green hexagon and a short beep.

Steve

* I can swear that I have seen two displayed at some point, but I usually shoot in single (center) point mode and never see the dynamic display.
11-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
When you use 27 (Auto) Points you will see all of them light up. When you use 9 (Auto) you will see a 9 point square which you can then move around using the directional pad. This mode is similar to the standard 27 (Auto) mode except that it obviously limits the camera to only using 9 points, from which it will use whichever point it determines is best.

When using the Select Modes (Sel-1, Sel-2, Sel-3, and Sel-4) the camera will utilize a single central point (which you are free to place anywhere) and then will use the amount of surrounding points you choose (Sel-1: Single Point, Sel-2: 9 Points, Sel-3: 25 Points, Sel-4 27 Points) to maintain focus if the subject moves off of the original point. So using these modes you will only see a Single point light up (which you can move) but the camera will use the surrounding points if the subject moves off of the original point. You will see the adjacent points light up as they are used.

11-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dborked Quote
When you use 27 (Auto) Points you will see all of them light up.
Not wanting to contradict you, but while all 27 points are evaluated, only the point actually being used is displayed in the viewfinder. The only time all 27 points are displayed is immediately after selecting the 27 point mode. The is quite different than the display on the Nikon 7100 which may show several points simultaneously (very entertaining) while doing AF and reflects the dynamic nature of their AF system.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-04-2014 at 03:51 PM.
11-04-2014, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Albums
Indeed my apologies, I meant when selecting them you will see the 27 and 9 points light up. Pentax's don't do multi-point illumination when focus is achieved as Nikons and Canons do.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not wanting to contradict you, but while all 27 points are evaluated, only the point actually being used is displayed in the viewfinder. The only time all 27 points are displayed is immediately after selecting the 27 point mode. The is quite different than the display on the Nikon 7100 which may show ten or more points simultaneously while doing AF and reflects the dynamic nature of their AF system.

Steve
11-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you all for the replies and explanations, my understanding is now a lot clearer!