Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: london
Photos: Albums
Posts: 93
Is it worth upgrading my firmware

Asfar as im aware im still on the original firmware for my k5, honiestly will i get any apreaciable benefit from updating it to the most recent? ,Im not worried about the tech aspect of it, Have done enough bios flashes on pc's for it not to phase me.
Thanks in advance

11-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,873
Yes, there are benefits. The very first update 1.01 increased the RAW buffer from 8 shots to 20. The second added SDXC support. The third improved low light autofocus. The rest mainly added compatibility with newer lenses and accessories.
11-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,612
QuoteOriginally posted by cybertaff Quote
Asfar as im aware im still on the original firmware for my k5, honiestly will i get any apreaciable benefit from updating it to the most recent? ,Im not worried about the tech aspect of it, Have done enough bios flashes on pc's for it not to phase me.
Thanks in advance
Here's a comprehensive changelog:
Latest K-5 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

I'd say that the changelog is quite massive... so yes!
11-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: london
Photos: Albums
Posts: 93
Original Poster
Thanks folks Ill get on to doing that pdq, just for the raw buffer

11-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 593
From what I know one of the improvements was for AF, so something meaningfull for majority of the people!
11-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian
redcat's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Paris
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,827
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Yes, there are benefits. The very first update 1.01 increased the RAW buffer from 8 shots to 20. The second added SDXC support. The third improved low light autofocus. The rest mainly added compatibility with newer lenses and accessories.
quite an upgrade, I'd not hesitate to upgrade to the lastest firmware as soon as an official releases
11-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 32,851
QuoteOriginally posted by cybertaff Quote
Is it worth upgrading my firmware
Usually there's good reason to upgrade, otherwise manufacturers wouldn't trouble themselves to produce it.
11-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 593
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Usually there's good reason to upgrade, otherwise manufacturers wouldn't trouble themselves to produce it.
Yes, and usually not every improvement is listed!

11-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,659
You should always upgrade the firmware after a short wait to see if there are any issues. I usually wait a week or so but firmware rarely causes difficulties while it usually improves many functions.
11-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian
tvdtvdtvd's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 703
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
You should always upgrade the firmware after a short wait to see if there are any issues. I usually wait a week or so but firmware rarely causes difficulties while it usually improves many functions.
What he said. In my experience, firmware updates are usually more reliable, from the user standpoint,
than software updates. Not sure that why that may be, but if you have any concern then waiting a couple
weeks after release before updating is usually enough time for any problem to be sussed out.
11-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #11
Moderator
Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,560
Certainly, I've seen my camera getting more stable with firmware updates. I'm on the latest version. Be sure to use a fully charged, healthy battery for firmware updates or you could brick your camera!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, firmware, im, pentax help, photography, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it worth upgrading K5 to K5iis? Maksat Tutan Pentax DSLR Discussion 28 11-07-2014 12:20 PM
Upgrading to K3 from K5 - Worth it? theraven871 Pentax DSLR Discussion 22 09-27-2014 02:07 AM
K30 Firmware upgrade - Is it worth buying a 32gb card? Steven Chain Pentax K-30 & K-50 7 02-11-2013 04:56 PM
Is it worth upgrading from kit lens to Tamron 17-50? Mike M. Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 11-29-2011 08:57 PM
Is it really worth upgrading *Ist DS to K-r in term of Image Quality fgpinarli Pentax K-r 16 03-01-2011 06:09 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:56 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top