11-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Unless you buy another red one...
Still no red k3, sadly

11-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Says the woman who shoots with a ruby red K-30 and a pearl white K-30? NOPE. Go for it. If you love it GET IT. I love mine and honestly I'd never go back to basic black again unless I wanted a particular camera and there was no other option. I totally love my "silly" colored cameras. My clients love my colored cameras. I actually get compliments everywhere I go practically with mine. Of course the bling all over them might also have something to do with that, laugh, because apparently my most people I meet LIKE all the sparkly stuff I stuck on mine, but I think they like the colored camera thing just fine too. :P You know life is just too short to care so much about what other people think of you. If you like red then that's all that matters.
11-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #18

I love my navy K-x and I wish they made the flagships K-5/3 in navy (or white) or any other color other than silver and gray. =(
11-04-2014, 08:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Get what you want, just realize that it may attract some attention when you use it. Sometimes that is good, sometimes it is not. The best solution is to have one "conservative" black body, plus one (or more) colored bodies, so you can chose depending on the situation.

11-04-2014, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got a red K-30 because it was the cheapest one available in stock at the time of purchase!
11-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #21
Zav
Pentaxian

Get it.
If some silly individual with a gigantic zoom comes to you and tells you that red is against the ethos of the photographer who has to blah blah, feel free to tell him/her off.
Bonus: some reading. The story of the Imperial Canon | Japan Camera HunterJapan Camera Hunter
11-04-2014, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, it'll be fine. .....as long as it matches the color of your Ferrari!

11-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A red camera with a silver lens! Hahahahha!

(Says a guy with a blue K30, and some so-so silver FA31!)

Go for it!
11-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've bought two brightly colored cameras: a red Sprocket Rocket and a yellow K-01 (with a matching carry strap!). With both cameras I went through a phase of wishing I'd gotten the more dignified black version instead. With more time I got over that and became very attached to them. As always, your mileage may vary.

11-04-2014, 09:37 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I've bought two brightly colored cameras: a red Sprocket Rocket and a yellow K-01 (with a matching carry strap!). With both cameras I went through a phase of wishing I'd gotten the more dignified black version instead. With more time I got over that and became very attached to them. As always, your mileage may vary.
I have the same Couch strap for my Beloved Bumblebee!
11-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Hee. If you think it makes you 'vain' you obviously like it enough to think it reflects on you. I'd say, buy it if you like it, or can go that long waiting for a red one to reappear. (And, hey, if you can't wait for a red one, you can take a cue from Mags and bling up a black one.

I mean, I like aesthetics in things: my tastes are far more subdued, but I hardly think that's 'vanity:' some of it's practical, some of it's making a good impression when I need to, some of it's just cause I actually engage better with equipment that feels and to a lesser degree looks harmonious to me. (Frankly, when I do photo, I'm actually engaging the very same senses: gotta make those happy.) If a bright colored camera is what engages you, then do it.
11-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I'm not a huge fan as most of you know of the K-01, but that color combo? I'd honestly be very nervous shooting outside with it. Wasps, hornets, bees and the like they're usually very attracted to yellow. It's not so much the black but the yellow. They can't see certain colors, like red, but they can see yellow and they come right to it. (Blue too supposedly...) My parents were majorly into yellow cushioned lawn furniture at one point.

We never had a lick of trouble with bees and the like until they got those darned yellow chairs when our old ones got too nasty to use. My Dad put on the yellow cushions and they would not leave us alone. It was awful. (I'm allergic.) They came around constantly. Finally we changed back out the cushions to something not yellow and no more problems with the bees and that.

No kidding...

Are bees attracted to certain colours? | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis
11-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I'm not a huge fan as most of you know of the K-01, but that color combo? I'd honestly be very nervous shooting outside with it. Wasps, hornets, bees and the like they're usually very attracted to yellow. It's not so much the black but the yellow. They can't see certain colors, like red, but they can see yellow and they come right to it. (Blue too supposedly...) My parents were majorly into yellow cushioned lawn furniture at one point.

We never had a lick of trouble with bees and the like until they got those darned yellow chairs when our old ones got too nasty to use. My Dad put on the yellow cushions and they would not leave us alone. It was awful. (I'm allergic.) They came around constantly. Finally we changed back out the cushions to something not yellow and no more problems with the bees and that.

No kidding...

Are bees attracted to certain colours? | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis
I've stood amidst a thicket of milkweed with a couple dozen wasps & bees buzzing around, and neither I nor my K-01 have been molested by 'em. Maybe they were only interested in the pink/purple of the milkweed... or maybe I'm just not sweet enough...

I do intend to acquire another K-01 at some point, but not yellow. Not the Smurf, either, so I guess it will be white/silver/black... which is a tad dull

Last edited by luftfluss; 11-04-2014 at 11:22 PM.
11-04-2014, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As the owner of an orange K-x I can tell you people notice the color and sometimes stop and ask what kind of camera you have. It's fun being different... that's why we're all here on a Pentax centric website. Buy what makes you happy.
11-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I've stood amidst a thicket of milkweed with a couple dozen wasps & bees buzzing around, and neither me nor my K-01 have been molested by 'em. Maybe they were only interested in the pink/purple of the milkweed... or maybe I'm just not sweet enough...

I do intend to acquire another K-01 at some point, but not yellow. Not the Smurf, either, so I guess it will be white/silver/black... which is a tad dull
You could skin it or bling it? No reason you have to settle for "dull" these days....