Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2014, 03:34 AM   #1

Pentax K1000. Line In Viewfinder

Just bought a Pentax K1000 off of Ebay. Everything seems to be working fine, but just today, I noticed a line in the viewfinder... I took off the lens, but it's still there. It looks like a piece of foam or something. Anyone have any idea what the deal is?

Attached Images

11-06-2014, 03:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Which line are you referring to? the vertical one on the left?
You could inspect the mirror and the focusing screen, which are easy things to do.
Just remove the lens and look directly inside (mirror) and then up towards the prism box (focusing screen).
A higher quality picture would help, but I know it's not easy to photograph a viewfinder...

At any rate, if it's still there when you take off the lens, it's a good sign: it means that it won't show up in your pictures!
11-06-2014, 04:03 AM   #3

Original Poster
LensBeginner, I'm talking about the horizontal line at the bottom. Is this common in K1000s? Is it going to affect picture quality?
11-06-2014, 04:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ridgewell Quote
LensBeginner, I'm talking about the horizontal line at the bottom. Is this common in K1000s? Is it going to affect picture quality?
Path of light to the film is gonna be lens->film (when you shoot).
The path to the viewfinder is lens->mirror->focusing screen->pentaprism (or pentamirror)->viewfinder.
If you still see it when you remove the lens then it won't show up in your pictures.
It could be some dirt on either one of the components that I listed before.

So no, it won't affect IQ.

11-06-2014, 04:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Path of light to the film is gonna be lens->film (when you shoot).
The path to the viewfinder is lens->mirror->focusing screen->pentaprism (or pentamirror)->viewfinder.
If you still see it when you remove the lens then it won't show up in your pictures.
It could be some dirt on either one of the components that I listed before.

So no, it won't affect IQ.
Thank you so much! If it won't affect the image, I guess it really doesn't matter. Still bugs me a little bit, but whatever. Thanks again!
11-06-2014, 06:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ridgewell Quote
Thank you so much! If it won't affect the image, I guess it really doesn't matter. Still bugs me a little bit, but whatever. Thanks again!
You can still try to look where I told you and see if there's something.
My KX has a horizontal black mark on the mirror because the mirror hits a piece of rubber when it flaps (as to avoid breaking), but it doesn't show in the viewfinder.
Maybe yours has a similar mark.
11-06-2014, 06:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like foamy residue from the mirror bumper. Very common in old cameras that have not been maintained. A CLA (Clean Lubricate and Adjust) would repair this situation.

11-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Looks like foamy residue from the mirror bumper. Very common in old cameras that have not been maintained. A CLA (Clean Lubricate and Adjust) would repair this situation.
...or something like that. What do you see when you take the lens off and look into the mirror box? Is there junk on the mirror or focus screen? If so, removal typically requires the services of a camera repair shop. The mirror and focus screen are very delicate and are easily scratched. There is also the risk of knocking the mirror out of alignment. The general rule for both screen and mirror is, "Do Not Touch".

One of the hazards of buying a vintage camera is that the foam materials used for light seals around the film door and as a mirror bumper are prone to disintegrate with age. Often this means a gooey sticky black mess that can foul the mirror and/or the focus screen. There is also the risk of the fragments being flung onto the shutter curtains. While often impractical, it is good to check the condition of the foam before shooting with the camera. This is done be touching the foam with a toothpick or similar sliver of wood. If the foam is sticky, crumbly or anything other than springy, it should be replaced. If the mirror and screen have not been fouled, replacement may be done as a do-it-yourself project using a kit such as that offered by Jon Goodman.

Steve
11-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another concern is that the foam provides a light seal when the mirror flips up out of the way. This keeps light from the view finder from entering and fogging the film.

I had my K1000 serviced for the same problem several years back and if the foam isn't flaking off and getting into the shutter area it should be a relatively inexpensive repair.
11-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OldPentaxFan Quote
I had my K1000 serviced for the same problem several years back and if the foam isn't flaking off and getting into the shutter area it should be a relatively inexpensive repair.
The cost is generally $45+ as part of a minimal CLA (Clean, Lube, Adjust). If the mirror were not already fouled the job can be done at home at a cost of less than $15 ($10 for the kit and $5 for the lighter fluid to clean off the old seals).

Steve