Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flashing F-- with new lens

Hello I just purchased a used Pentax lens from eBay and there is a flashing F-- on the LCD and the shutter won't release. I tried putting the lens in Manual Focus mode but still no luck. I even tried cleaning the contacts with an eraser but still no luck.

11-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which lens?
11-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Guys I figured it out after almost dying from a heart attack. The lens is the 77mm f1.8 "Limited" that I bought used off of eBay. After trying to clean the contacts I went to the manual which explained that with FA series lenses you have to set the aperture ring to "A" for auto. I did that and the "F--" went away and I had control of the shutter. What bothers me is that after spending all that money I can't use the lens in Manual mode ?
11-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just set the aperture ring of the lens to the f stop you want and change the "use aperture ring" option to 2 in the menu and youre good to go

11-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Hello I just purchased a used Pentax lens from eBay and there is a flashing F-- on the LCD and the shutter won't release. I tried putting the lens in Manual Focus mode but still no luck. I even tried cleaning the contacts with an eraser but still no luck.
Follow this guide, there's a setting you need to change:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-06-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, you have to tell us which lens, to see if this is normal or a problem.
Guys I figured it out after almost dying from a heart attack. The lens is the 77mm f1.8 "Limited" that I bought used off of eBay. After trying to clean the contacts I went to the manual which explained that with FA series lenses you have to set the aperture ring to "A" for auto. I did that and the "F--" went away and I had control of the shutter. What bothers me is that after spending all that money I can't use the lens in Manual mode ?
This is normal behaviour for all lenses that have an A setting on their aperture ring (usually have to press a little button to set it to A). This sets the aperture control to go through the camera. So you choose the aperture with the dials on the camera. This mode also allows metering, Av, P, and other modes.
You can also use the lens' aperture ring. Take it out of A mode, and go to camera Menu, at the end of the Menu choose "Enable aperture ring." Now the camera will let you use the aperture ring on the lens. But this can limit automation, you might have to use Green button to meter, and not all modes might be available. See the thread that Adam linked to. The Aperture ring is not needed on modern DSLRs, many DA lenses don't even have one, but it is good to have the aperture ring if you want to use the lens on old film cameras or with macro bellows, extension tubes.

But with the lens you mentioned, setting it to A and leaving it there is the way to go. You can use all modes, from M (full manual, you choose aperture, shutter speed, ISO) to P or Auto
11-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What bothers me is that after spending all that money I can't use the lens in Manual mode ?
Put the aperture ring on the "A" setting and use it in the same manner as your kit lens. Manual mode is fully supported.

Steve

11-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice !