Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter
royden's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 281
Holding your Camera correctly when shooting

I came across this on another forum

How to hold your camera correctly - farbspiel photography

11-07-2014, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,601
...then you've got to check this wonderful article on this very forum, written by none less than Heie in person...
Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - Introduction - In-Depth Articles
it's not about holding it "like a pro" or "like a boss", rather... "like a sniper"!
11-07-2014, 08:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian
tvdtvdtvd's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 703
QuoteOriginally posted by royden Quote
Eyebrow stability?
11-07-2014, 08:22 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,601
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Eyebrow stability?
Does this comment mean that you're raising an eyebrow at that article?

11-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian
tvdtvdtvd's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 703
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Does this comment mean that you're raising an eyebrow at that article?
From the fatspiel sight linked above: "Use your eyebrow to increase the stability even more."

Mind you, I didn't watch all the videos so I don't honestly know what eyebrow stability brings to the game.
I'll stick with lock in tight and save my eyebrows for furrowing at difficult subjects

---------- Post added 11-07-2014 at 10:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
...then you've got to check this wonderful article on this very forum, written by none less than Heie in person...
Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - Introduction - In-Depth Articles
it's not about holding it "like a pro" or "like a boss", rather... "like a sniper"!
Thanks for posting that, an excellent read.
11-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,438
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Eyebrow stability?
Absolutely essential. Botox helps...


Steve
11-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 79
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
From the fatspiel sight linked above: "Use your eyebrow to increase the stability even more."
How do you even do that...
11-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,601
QuoteOriginally posted by Anthen Quote
How do you even do that...
You just furrow them a lot, so that the texture of the wrinkles and the protruding ridge made by said furrowed brows will keep the camera locked against... your upper lip?

11-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,438
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
will keep the camera locked against... your upper lip?
...or chin, if you have facial features similar to Dudley Do-Right.



Steve
11-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Weevil's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Near Montréal, Québec
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,617
QuoteOriginally posted by royden Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
...then you've got to check this wonderful article on this very forum, written by none less than Heie in person...
Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - Introduction - In-Depth Articles
it's not about holding it "like a pro" or "like a boss", rather... "like a sniper"!
Thanks for the links guys !
11-08-2014, 12:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,601
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...or chin, if you have facial features similar to Dudley Do-Right.

Dudley Do-Right: Saw Mill - YouTube


Steve

maybe you need a grip or a taller camera for that
11-08-2014, 01:52 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 587
The linked tutorial from Pentaxforums is really the best article on the issue. I read some as I still use some cameras with poor low light capability. The story from PF Member Heie is clearly the best compared to the others on the web.
11-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,655
QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
The linked tutorial from Pentaxforums is really the best article on the issue. I read some as I still use some cameras with poor low light capability. The story from PF Member Heie is clearly the best compared to the others on the web.

Yes, but Eyebrow stability opens up a complete new world of photography. A topic that might even be worthy of our long running "why I won't buy" thread.
11-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #14
Pentaxian
reeftool's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,155
If you consistently get sharp photos without any shake and can operate all the controls, buttons and dials with ease, then you are holding your camera correctly. If you aren't getting good shots, then the various camera holding articles could be of some value. We expect a little too much from shake reduction sometimes.
11-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #15
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,438
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
A topic that might even be worthy of our long running "why I won't buy" thread.
Excellent idea. I suspect there are many users who should not buy a K-3 because of poor eyebrow registration. This would be a potential issue for left-eyed shooters as well.


Steve
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
article, camera, pentax help, photography, stability, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to look when the camera tells you your exposure settings are correct? haycyn Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 05-16-2013 09:41 AM
new to pentax, quick question about camera settings when shooting DNG danny_falin Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 01-17-2012 03:35 PM
Holding your DSLR pentaxpup Pentax DSLR Discussion 27 08-19-2010 09:21 PM
When not using your camera mikemike Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 15 07-17-2010 08:50 PM
You know your camera bag is getting heavy when... ve2vfd General Talk 13 09-14-2009 12:20 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:34 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top