Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Quote Originally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Nail polish remover and some chop sticks will get the gooey old seals out.
stevebrot--NO! NO! NO!
-------------------------------------------------------

Funny, for over 20 years I've used acetone without a single screw up. A Q tip slightly damp to clean up the goo in the grooves never caused me a problem. And it dries almost instantly. But to each his own.
It may work well for you, but I would not advise it for others.

The focus screens and eyepiece oculars on many (most?) SLRs made since the late 1970s (and probably much earlier) are made of a clear plastic material. The problem is the vapors, which may haze the surfaces. Acetone will attack most plastics. I have two cameras (both nice fixed-lens rangefinders) on my shelf that are useless due to acetone vapors from botched amateur service attempts that has hazed the viewfinder oculars.

Lighter fluid (called naptha in some parts of the world) works well, has no residue, and does not harm most plastics. It is the solvent recommended (along with isopropyl alcohol) by most other camera repair resources for cleaning/flushing camera innards.

BTW...acetone will mar painted lacquer surfaces as well. That is why it is used for nail polish remover.

Steve