Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-Mount (??) won't fit..

First off, I hope I'm in the right part of the forum..

So, I bought myself a Osawa 80-205mm f4.5 very cheap on the bay, mainly because I wanted to try a manual zoom lens, only owning primes (plus the k50 kit-lens).

Seller said it's a pentax k mount lens, which it could very well be at first glance. However I'm not so sure anymore.

When I tried to mount it it first wouldn't insert properly with the red dots aligned, but twisting it approx. 90 counter clockwise (viewed from behind the camera) it went into the mount but wouldn't let itself get turned. I obviously didn't try with much strength since I'd rather handle my camera delicately.

Next thing I did was remove the aperture lever flange with a small screwdriver, since I read that that's most probably the culprit.
However, it didn't change a thing.. The lens just won't let me turn it in.

Now, I've started to wonder if the lens is actually a k mount lens or something different, so I thought I'd better ask for help.

tl;dr What mount am I looking at here? Can I somehow make it work, or should it work and I'm just being stupid?

(click image for larger resolution)
sorry for the absolutely horrible lighting.

Thanks!

Last edited by Topsy; 11-07-2014 at 07:49 PM.
11-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Does not look like a K mount to me.
11-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Looks more like a Nikon AI but not quite it either... Very puzzling.

Actually it is very similar to a Nikon Non-AI mount.
11-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree, that does not look like K-mount. I suspect that some sort of adapter is supposed to be in between what we see and the camera.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-07-14 at 07:12 PM ----------

Olympus OM mount?

Steve

---------- Post added 11-07-14 at 07:18 PM ----------

Almost sure it is Olympus OM mount...very, very rough though.

Steve

11-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Olympus OM mount?
The lack of locking slot made me think of OM first but the bayonet is different and the aperture lever is more like a K or nikon one, although in the wrong spot.

It's an odd one for sure. Has some feature of K, OM and nikon.

Osawa used to label the mount type right on the mount itself... maybe this one is too old?!
11-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
The lack of locking slot made me think of OM first but the bayonet is different and the aperture lever is more like a K or nikon one, although in the wrong spot.
I don't think all the parts are present on this lens. I also think it is old. The general orientation of things are appropriate for OM as are two "knobs" at 12:00 and 7:00 o'clock. See the little nubbin at 2:00?

Steve
11-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
Marketplace Reseller

Looks complete to me, and I agree that it's probably OM. The "knobs" are probably the stop-down/lens release buttons.

I don't think all the parts are present on this lens. I also think it is old. The general orientation of things are appropriate for OM as are two "knobs" at 12:00 and 7:00 o'clock. See the little nubbin at 2:00?

Steve
11-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Almost sure it is Olympus OM mount...very, very rough though.
You know what, the opposite buttons around the mount are indeed screaming OM...

11-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian

There is a small protrude locking pin on the right side.... possibly an OM mount... definitely not K-mount to me.
11-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated!

Sadly it looks like it really is an OM mount. I just did a google-image search for "Osawa Olympus OM" and this is exactly the lens that comes up..
So this is going back. The seller luckily will refund me and pay for the shipping (which is more expensive than the lens..). Atleast he says so. Fingers crossed!

Is there anywhere in the forum where people can recommend you lenses? Looks like I'm in 'need' of a cheap manual tele..
11-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
Is there anywhere in the forum where people can recommend you lenses? Looks like I'm in 'need' of a cheap manual tele..
In case you haven't seen this feature already, the Pentax Forum user reviews are very handy. Considering the vintage and range of your original purchase, you would probably do well to check out the Pentax-M 80-200 f4.5. There is also a Pentax-A 70-210 F4 (the A-contacts are very handy, making in-camera aperture control one less thing to fuss with on an old manual lens - that is, assuming you're using the lens on a DSLR).

You might consider posting in the Wanted section of the Marketplace or check out Keh.com. You can probably find cheaper 3rd-party lenses of the same range, but I usually start with the Pentax variety simply because I'm more likely to find reviews with user experience for those lenses. Also, while they may cost a bit more, I'd hazard a guess you can more reliably find a specific old Pentax lens if one really intrigues you.
11-08-2014, 02:12 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the K-mount version of the Osawa 80-205. What you have has a different mount. The K-mount version looks just like any other manual K-mount of the era.

fgaudet, mine does not have a label on the mount.

I really liked that lens, used it for a lot of stuff from when I got it in January 1980, to go with my then fairly new Ricoh XR500 to do tele stuff. I also liked it mounted on bellows, usually used it at 205mm. The mount machining is a bit rougher than on a genuine Pentax - probably pre-date NC machining and they had to make them quick and cheap.

IIRC this one was 13 elements in 11 groups. Australian Photography had a comparative review of it and I recall the resolution compared well with a couple of the better known brands' offerings at the time.

Does anyone around know any more about it?
11-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LowVoltage Quote
In case you haven't seen this feature already, the Pentax Forum user reviews are very handy. Considering the vintage and range of your original purchase, you would probably do well to check out the Pentax-M 80-200 f4.5. There is also a Pentax-A 70-210 F4 (the A-contacts are very handy, making in-camera aperture control one less thing to fuss with on an old manual lens - that is, assuming you're using the lens on a DSLR).

You might consider posting in the Wanted section of the Marketplace or check out Keh.com. You can probably find cheaper 3rd-party lenses of the same range, but I usually start with the Pentax variety simply because I'm more likely to find reviews with user experience for those lenses. Also, while they may cost a bit more, I'd hazard a guess you can more reliably find a specific old Pentax lens if one really intrigues you.

I have seen them, infact, I actually had found this forum through them since you can't look for a lens review without coming across that section

Thing is, I really am not sure how much I'd want to spend on vintage lenses. I got a bit spoiled in a local photography store when I asked if they had any m42 lenses. The chap came back with an smc takumar 150 f4 and a 28 f3.5 for 20$ each including their original cases and hoods..

I only thought I might try the 80-205 Osawa since I have one for a mamiya ze-2 (which I also got very cheap...) and thought it wasn't that bad. Maybe I have a brochure to that one. Will check to see if there's any info (@Tim60).

Will keep looking around, thanks a lot everyone!