Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #1

How do you do a timelapse with a Pentax Q?

Guys, Im new to Photography and new to Pentax as well. I like to try taking timelapse videos. Does the Pentax Q have a timelapse mode? or a feature that does it? Or do you have to edit it in a software? I heard that you can do it directly on the camera. I might be wrong. Hoping to hear from you

11-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Evening,

Yes the Q can do time lapse. Without having either a mirror or shutter, it works very well - since there is really nothing mechanical to wear out. Download the manual and check out page 104 (Interval Shooting) for instructions. Also, check out the second link for Q time lapse movie examples...
11-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by plsbecarepaul Quote
Guys, Im new to Photography and new to Pentax as well. I like to try taking timelapse videos. Does the Pentax Q have a timelapse mode? or a feature that does it? Or do you have to edit it in a software? I heard that you can do it directly on the camera. I might be wrong. Hoping to hear from you
If you go to movie page at the bottom it has interval movie and that should take care of what you want
11-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Interval movie doesn't result in smooth transitions, more like a fast slideshow. Compiling your own timelapse in post gives better results.
Also, I found with the (original) Q it would stop and not complete the schedule for no apparent reason, even though I have the AC adapter for the Q. Another problem I found was although the Q was tripod mounted, there would be a slight movement between shots, I assumed it was the floating SR plate bringing the sensor into line when the timer woke up the camera for the next shot (although SR was switched off I believe the plate goes into a 'park' position when powered off))
The K-01 doesn't suffer these anomalies.

11-10-2014, 05:17 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you guys for the replies. Been playing around with the Q's capabilities and it's quite good for a little pocket.
11-10-2014, 06:03 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by plsbecarepaul Quote
Thank you guys for the replies. Been playing around with the Q's capabilities and it's quite good for a little pocket.
Yes, just think this is a feature some other cameras do not have and that they require and external device to implement. It is standard in the little Q.