Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #1

Remote for Bulb photography?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Folks, for star/night photography in bulb mode, do I need a wireless control or wired?
Will Pentax CS-205 wired remote work for K-50? The reason I am asking is because Pentax web page describing this remote does not list K-50 among its list of compatible cameras
Finally, is it true that CS-205 is a clone of a Canon remote? I think its Canon 60E3 -- or something like that. That remote is $20 vs Pentax's $40. If its the same thing, I'd rather spend less....

Thank you!

11-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know the answer to the questions you posed, but you can't really go wrong with a wireless remote. I bought a cheap JJC remote from amazon and it works rather well, with the only real downside being that you have to point the remote at the camera from the front. I figure the wired remote could potentially cause movement of the camera if caught in wind, etc... so that's one reason I went with the wireless. The JJC remote costs approx. $10 usd.
11-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not sure about the K-50 . I bought a Pixel RC-201 for my K-30 new for under $10. I have the wireless as well but prefer the wired. There is one listed on fleabay --- bin for $7.95 free shipping. In searching the internet for a cable release for my 30 different models have listed all the DSLR's of Pentax but never all in one listing. like maybe K-5 K-7 K-100 then someone else lists K-7K-100 K-200 K-10 and so on This was prior to the K-50 being released.
Disclosure
I buy there, but I do not sell there nor do I know anyone that does
Pixel E3 Remote Control Shutter Release Cable Cord for Canon Pentax Samsung | eBay

Last edited by patrick9; 11-08-2014 at 09:33 PM.
11-09-2014, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pentax CS 205 is the official Pentax wired remote and works on all the Pentax DSLRs with a wired remote socket, the "cable release terminal". The low-end cameras starting with K-m, K-x and K-r don't have this socket. Pentax uses the same plug and wiring as Canon digital Rebels, so you should be OK with anything compatible with those cameras. (I don't know if Canon has other types of remotes lurking in their system.) I have used a $6 Dotline wired remote for years. Better ones may have a nicer shutter release action but most of the time it doesn't matter.

I use a wired remote most of the time because it's simple. The button locks on the remote so bulb is easy. Wireless may mean looking at camera settings for remote operation, so the camera will open the shutter with one click and close with the second. Wireless operation is better for maintaining weather resistance.

11-09-2014, 10:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redridinghood Quote
Folks, for star/night photography in bulb mode, do I need a wireless control or wired?
Will Pentax CS-205 wired remote work for K-50? The reason I am asking is because Pentax web page describing this remote does not list K-50 among its list of compatible cameras
Finally, is it true that CS-205 is a clone of a Canon remote? I think its Canon 60E3 -- or something like that. That remote is $20 vs Pentax's $40. If its the same thing, I'd rather spend less....

Thank you!
There are many cheap wireless remotes on e-bay that work a charm, at a very affordable price.
11-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a wired remote from Meike that works on my K-50 and K-3. It also worked on my Canon 70D. I think it was $7 from B&H or Adorama.
I have yet to get a wireless remote that actually works. Three duds so far.
11-10-2014, 01:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I have a wired remote from Meike that works on my K-50 and K-3. It also worked on my Canon 70D. I think it was $7 from B&H or Adorama.
I have yet to get a wireless remote that actually works. Three duds so far.
Three duds? Mine works perfectly and it was only $6 from China.

11-10-2014, 01:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Three duds? Mine works perfectly and it was only $6 from China.
I should have been more clear.

They weren't Pentax remotes.

They were all Canon varieties that were supposed to work with the 70D when it first came out. After I bought the wired remote for the Canon and found it worked with both of my Pentaxes, I just didn't try again.
11-10-2014, 02:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I should have been more clear.

They weren't Pentax remotes.

They were all Canon varieties that were supposed to work with the 70D when it first came out. After I bought the wired remote for the Canon and found it worked with both of my Pentaxes, I just didn't try again.
Mine was sold as "for Pentax" and made by a company called Mekko.
11-10-2014, 04:29 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The Pentax CS 205 is the official Pentax wired remote and works on all the Pentax DSLRs with a wired remote socket, the "cable release terminal". The low-end cameras starting with K-m, K-x and K-r don't have this socket. Pentax uses the same plug and wiring as Canon digital Rebels, so you should be OK with anything compatible with those cameras. (I don't know if Canon has other types of remotes lurking in their system.) I have used a $6 Dotline wired remote for years. Better ones may have a nicer shutter release action but most of the time it doesn't matter.

I use a wired remote most of the time because it's simple. The button locks on the remote so bulb is easy. Wireless may mean looking at camera settings for remote operation, so the camera will open the shutter with one click and close with the second. Wireless operation is better for maintaining weather resistance.
thank you
11-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
Forum Member

Third party wireless remotes work just fine, I once had that one for my K-x, which supports only wireless remotes.

Cost me 6 euros ($7.45) and it could also trigger Canon, Nikon and Konica-Minolta cameras. The downside was, that at one point it began to eat batteries like mad, so I got the original one - Pentax remote control F.

Like stated before, you have to set up your camera to open the shutter on first button press and then close it at the second push, as wireless remotes do not have the button lock that wired remotes tend to have.

K-x also had the IR port only at the front, but I discovered, that if you build a reflector (a piece of tin foil and some cardboard and tape to hold it in place), you can trigger the camera from behind too. Still, I usually triggered it from the front, you just have to be really careful not to step/reach into the view of the lens and not to accidentally touch the tripod (even stepping on the soft ground near the tripod or shaky floor can ruin your shot).
11-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I bought a full-featured, 3rd-party wired remote because:
  • Button lock
  • Supports half-press
  • Enhanced intervalometer features (can be used in tandem with the in-camera interval feature)
  • Timed bulb exposures for longer than 30s
  • Price
  • Available through reputable a camera store
My review is posted here at PF:

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Steve
11-11-2014, 04:40 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I bought a full-featured, 3rd-party wired remote because:
  • Button lock
  • Supports half-press
  • Enhanced intervalometer features (can be used in tandem with the in-camera interval feature)
  • Timed bulb exposures for longer than 30s
  • Price
  • Available through reputable a camera store
My review is posted here at PF:

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Steve
After doing the research and scratching my head, I had finally just placed an order for Triggertrap -- $32 including shipping. Seems like a Cadillac of remotes, even though I dont need half the bells and whistles on it. Still, its fun messing with all that.

thank you for all the responses.