Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-09-2014, 05:18 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Water proof but not soda proof !

I was getting out of my car a few days ago so I grabbed my camera(Pentax k-5 IIs) which was sitting on the drivers seat while at the same time grabbing an open can of soda that was sitting in the tray in between the seats. When I went to close the door of the car some soda splashed on my camera. When I got inside I made sure to wipe everything down and made sure everything was working.

A couple of days later I notice that the pop-up flash did not pop-up like it used to. It sort of crawled up very slowly and kept doing that no matter how many times I hit the pop-up button. Now I'm wondering whether I should take the camera in to get it cleaned unless somebody out there has other ideas ?

Last edited by hjoseph7; 11-09-2014 at 05:23 AM.
11-09-2014, 05:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That's unfortunate of course, but the flash lies outside the weather-sealed area, so to speak. It's impossible to seal the flash compartment. It's likely the joints just got sticky, you could carefully try to rinse it with some water.
11-09-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about the accident. Those things happen. I have had my flash pop up get stuck from grit (I am in the desert a lot with my cameras) but it usually comes unstuck with a little light pressure. Several times I just needed to wait and whatever was causing the sticking worked loose and I was able to open the flash and carefully clean it off. Good luck.
11-09-2014, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
That's unfortunate of course, but the flash lies outside the weather-sealed area, so to speak. It's impossible to seal the flash compartment. It's likely the joints just got sticky, you could carefully try to rinse it with some water.

Thank you, I just did that with a Q-tip and some alcohol. There was a lot of Gunk behind the viewfinder so I cleaned that also. That did the trick, everything seems to be back to normal.

11-09-2014, 06:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Thank you, I just did that with a Q-tip and some alcohol. There was a lot of Gunk behind the viewfinder so I cleaned that also. That did the trick, everything seems to be back to normal.
The difference is that the water doesn't leave anything, the soda leaves a lot of sugar.
I am happy that you fixed it!
11-09-2014, 06:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It's not water proof either. There's a huge difference between weather resistant/weather sealed and water proof.
11-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep. That's how my wife fizzled my K5. Insurance payed for a new one and allowed me to keep the crippled K5. CR Kennedy said my camera was not repairable. It is the sugar that's the problem.

All the knobs are still really stiff. However sugar got into the electronics and now it under exposes badly and from time to time it the colors look like super bad transparencies cooked in the sun and then developed in off chemicals. The electronic problems were evident the next day when i found out about the soda. If anything the electronic problem is less of an issue and the stiff controls I can live with. (sometimes I have to really force my on off switch) So I don't think you will get electronic issues unless your camera gets wet and allows the residue sugar to get deeper into the camera. So from my experience you shouldn't have any further issues

At the time i was in the middle of a massive job so I had to buy a new K5 as i didn't know what the insurance would do. Within a month I had 3 K5s.

11-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
However sugar got into the electronics and now it under exposes badly and from time to time it the colors look like super bad transparencies cooked in the sun and then developed in off chemicals.
It's official - sugar gives cameras diabetes too.
11-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
It's not water proof either. There's a huge difference between weather resistant/weather sealed and water proof.
totally agreed! not even the 5D mark III or D810 is water proofed...
11-09-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sugar is heck on any kind of electronics. My boy cat dumped a soda on my almost brand new trackman wireless mouse about 2 weeks ago. I did my best to rescue it and clean it and it still works, but it's got a few quirks now that it didn't have before and I have a feeling it won't last too long. I'm ticked because it wasn't inexpensive, it's the only mouse I can use, and I was counting on it lasting several years. In the year that I've had him he's also killed 2 keyboards doing the same thing.

I finally got wise. I have these insulated drink bottles I use now instead of glasses. They're not 100% full proof but they keep things cold and so far he's managed to dunk them several times and nothing hit the electronics. I have a keyboard now that's supposedly spill resistant but unfortunately they don't make Trackman ball mice that are water resistant.

I jokingly call Loki "My little 4 footed wrecking crew." but it's only half a joke. I've never seen a cat more prone towards mishaps than he is. He's got these weird split toes on both front feet. I think that's partly why he's such a klutz. He's got no sense of balance compared to some cats and clearly not much by way of depth perception. Siamese cats supposedly can have balance issues. Watching him I believe it. He's downright clumsy for a cat.
11-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You've heard of 'Don't Drink and Drive? . . . . . . . '