Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2014, 06:29 AM   #1

Efina - Lens Obstructed

This is regarding PENTAX Efina. Text on camera:

PENTAX Efina
5.0V
MADE IN CHINA
PENTAX RICOH IMAGING CO LTD

The lens is not manually obstructed. The battery is fully charged. I bought it just yesterday. I've also tried re-inserting the battery and I've also input an SD card.

When I switch it on, it shows the Efina splash screen for a while (completely normal) and then gives a sound with a warning "Lens obstructed" written on black background. After one or two seconds, the camera shuts down automatically.

On closely hearing, I could also listen to two sounds made by the lens.

I think, and I only THINK, it needs not be the true case, that the lens is trying to open but can't, as judged from the sound it makes.

When I switched it on for the first time, it asked for language and date-time, which I input correctly. Then it gave the warning. Now whenever I open it, it gives the same warning and shuts down (as mentioned above). Kindly advice.

11-09-2014, 07:12 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Happens a lot with that type of telescoping lens, dirt or sand can get inside and jam it. Try banging the camera on your other hand at the same time
turning it on. With the lens facing down.
Do a search online for compact camera lens jammed, I remember seeing more info on this.
11-09-2014, 07:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
I searched a lot. I also found good techniques. But my lens doesn't try the slightest to open up. I've also tried taking out dirt from all lens barrels with a paper and thumping it on my cupped palm as it tries to open. Yet it doesn't even move 1mm. It stays there, just makes two sounds like it's trying to open...
11-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It's faulty. I'm afraid you'll have to return it for a replacement.

11-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
Okay, I'll get a replacement. The packaging it came in was faulty I think. The smaller box that contained the camera was bubble-wrapped only. It was kept inside a much lager box of the delivering company. So maybe it took some jerks and the lens got dislocated or something. Is that possible?
11-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wife's point and shoot did this. Send it back and get another one.
11-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am sorry, what is an Efina? Is it a current camera?