Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2014, 09:49 PM - 1 Like   #16
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by caryn Quote
I have taken a couple of pics on auto and it was fine...could see clearly through viewfinder. When I was getting nowhere I did find this...
So when exactly did the problem start, when you changed the settings as recommended for older lenses?
Sounds like you might be "stuck" in optical preview mode, which would stop the lens down to f9.5 which would make the viewfinder a lot darker. Not sure how you select optical preview on the K10 - is it on the power switch?

Try undoing this setting anyway; might be smart to just restore default settings and start again.

11-10-2014, 10:25 PM   #17

Original Poster
I set the dial to manual, the recomendation was for f10 but it would only go to f9.5 or 11. Then after doing all the things the article suggested and viewfinder was really dark I made the other alterations. I will restore defaults and start again with all the advice here as soon as I get a chance.

---------- Post added 11-10-14 at 11:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
When you get the dark finder resolved--the filter you got (as noted above) is a skylight filter (slight warming).

What you want is a polarizing filter--and possibly two polarizing sheets for the lights. A linear polarizing filter will be cheaper and is fine. Ditto the polarizing sheets (Edmonds Scientific or Optical--I forgot which--sells them).
This set up (w/ lights at about 45 degree) is good for oil and acrylic paintings--as they have a lot of glare. Using the PL filters (orient the ones on the lights in same position) and turn the one on the lens till colors are as saturated as you desire. If you use this setup then skip the umbrellas.
I've ordered the lens and there are sheets for sale in UK but OMG they're so expensive!!
Polarising Film Greenweld @ Permex Ltd
Do I really need these as well as the lens? This artist isn't that well off! ...I'll get them if it makes a big difference but 2x A4 size will cost me £70!
11-11-2014, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #18
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Edmond Optics has one (Stock No. #38-493)17"x19.5" sheet for $56.00 (US) and cut in half it will give you two sheets. In my experience if the art work is acrylic or oil it will make a big difference. If not likely not.

They also have a smaller size (Stock No. #38-491) 8.5"x19.9" sheet for $31.90 (US) and cut in half it may be large enough. I actually use this one.

Last edited by dms; 11-11-2014 at 12:25 PM.
11-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks..will check postage to UK

11-14-2014, 12:09 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
You did not say what lens you have. It is possible that the polaroid filter is causing some problems. Start by trying to remove the filter. Be certain that there is enough light in your scene. Also the aperture needs to be open. Turn the aperture ring to the smallest number. that may give you enough light. You may also need to go into the menu system. Look for the C section and find the option for Using Aperture Ring. Turn it on. That will allow you to open the aperture with the lens. You need to do this if you do not have a digital lens. If you have a digital lens (DA) you can open the aperture with the aperture control knob. Please keep coming to the forum for help. When we know more about your problem we will be able to get you started. It is confusing at first but soon you will get the hang.
I'm working through all your suggestions tonight hoping something will work for me. I've bought the polarising filter suggested still waiting for sheets. For now I have 2 x 500w fluo bulbs with umberellas. This should be enough light ...not looking for perfection yet....just a picture! Took off lens and looked through in manual and in automatic. In manual very very dark, in automatic dark. With polarising filter on and off...almost completely black.... ISO 100 Focal length 9.5. Lens is digital. I've put the spec on a post at the end of the thread.
11-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by caryn Quote
Hi, I'm very late home from work so will try out all your suggestions tomorrow. Thank you again everyone for advice, I'm sure by the weekend I'll have got to the bottom of this with your help.I've checked what lens I have it's a Pentax DA 18-55 3.5-5.6 AL. I have taken a couple of pics on auto and it was fine...could see clearly through viewfinder. When I was getting nowhere I did find this: Using Older Lenses on Pentax K10D, K200D, K20D | Ricoh Imaging Support ... and made the changes it suggested in custom settings...perhaps I shouldn't have done? I thought I had to turn aperture ring to A and my lens didn't have an A setting. Now I think I've dug myself a deeper hole :-/

The article I was following for advice is this How to photograph your artwork - How To - Artists & Illustrators - Original art for sale direct from the artist

Hi Caryn,

I read the article you posted and I think I know what is wrong if you haven't already figured it out. Firstly, the Pentax DA 18-55 3.5-5.6 AL is not an "old" lens. Its a modern lens for Pentax DSLR cameras, including the K10D. So you don't need to do anything in the 1st article you read, especially the part about selecting "Optical Preview". This is surely the reason you are getting a dark image in the viewfinder because the lens will be stopped down to the aperture you have selected which is quite small.

I recommend you reset all the camera settings to default factory settings. I don't know how to do this but I'm sure there is a menu item for that.

Then use the recommendations in the 2nd article but I suggest you use the camera in "Green" mode if it has it (i.e. full auto) first and then try manual so you know what to look for. You can see what the auto mode gives you and base your manual settings on that. As suggested in the 2nd article you will probably want to increase the aperture and decrease the shutter speed a little as they suggest.

As you use the camera, you will become more familiar and can start looking at changing the factory settings to something you prefer. Typically, the factory settings are excellent but many people make minor setting changes as the decide what they like and dislike.

All the best!
11-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #22

Original Poster
This is the camera spec. if it helps

Product IdentifiersBrandPentaxModelK10DMPN1909500
Key FeaturesCamera TypeDigital SLROptical Zoom3xSensor Resolution10.2 MPScreen Size2.5"
Optical SensorSensor Size15.7 x 23.5mmSensor TypeCCD
Lens System Lens TypeZoom lensLens For SD18-55mmLens ApertureF/3.5-5.6Focal Length Range18mm - 55mmFocus AdjustmentAutomatic, ManualLens Filter Size52 mmAuto Focus typeTTL phase detectionLens Construction9 group(s) / 12 element(s)
Exposure Max Shutter Speed1/4000 secMin Shutter Speed30 secExposure compensation±3 EV range, in 1/2 EV stepsExposure RangeEV 1-21.5 ( ISO 200 )Exposure ModesAutomatic, ISO priority, Programme, aperture-priority, bulb, manual, shutter & aperture priority, shutter-priorityLight SensitivityISO 100, ISO 1600, ISO 200, ISO 400, ISO 800, ISO autoLight Sensitivity Max1600
Camera FlashFlash TypePop-up FlashRed Eye ReductionYesCamera Flash FeaturesFlash +/- compensationFlash ModesAuto Mode, Fill-in mode, P-TTL, flash OFF mode, rear curtain sync, red-eye reduction
Memory / StorageSupported Flash MemoryMultiMediaCard, SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card
ViewfinderViewfinder TypeOpticalOptical Viewfinder TypeFixed eye-level pentaprismViewfinder - Field Coverage95%Viewfinder Magnification0.95xDioptric Correction Range-2.5 to +1.5
DimensionsDepth7 cmHeight10.1 cmWidth14.2 cmWeight710 gr
DisplayDisplay TypeLCDDisplay RotationBuilt-inScreen DetailsLCD display - TFT active matrix - 2.5" - colourDisplay Size2.5"
ConnectionsConnector Types1 x USB, 1 x composite video outputExpansion Slot1 x SD Memory Card
BatteryBattery Description1 x Li-ion rechargeable battery ( included )Battery Form FactorManufacturer specific
File FormatStill Image FormatJPEG, RAW
Environmental ParametersMin Operating Temperature0 °CMax Operating Temperature40 °C
Other FeaturesFeaturesAE lock, AF Lock, Auto Power Save, DPOF Support, Direct Print, Histogram Display, PRINT Image Matching, PictBridge Support, RGB primary colour filter, USB 2.0 compatibility, depth-of-field preview button, digital noise reduction, display brightness control

---------- Post added 11-14-14 at 12:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Can I suggest you try the following options: (Oh, and as LensBeginner has pointed out, an 1A filter is not a polariser. A 1A Skylight filter should not make any difference to what you see.)
1. Remove lens and look through viewfinder: What do you see?
2. Replace lens, open aperture right up - smallest number it will go to: What do you see?
3. Place lens Aperture ring in 'A' position, set the camera to Shutter Priority mode, push the green button: What do you see?

What lens do you have?
I just took the lens off as you suggested and everything was bright again. Put lens back on...heard a click...looked through and (how embarassing :-/) the image was clear! The lens can't have been on properly. I'm so sorry and so embarassed! However there is a huge amount of info in your posts ...from everyone...that has given me all kinds of insights I never would have known. Still yet to take the photo according to instructions on the article I was following but at least now I can see what I'm taking a pic of! Thanks again everyone

---------- Post added 11-14-14 at 12:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
Hi Caryn,

I read the article you posted and I think I know what is wrong if you haven't already figured it out. Firstly, the Pentax DA 18-55 3.5-5.6 AL is not an "old" lens. Its a modern lens for Pentax DSLR cameras, including the K10D. So you don't need to do anything in the 1st article you read, especially the part about selecting "Optical Preview". This is surely the reason you are getting a dark image in the viewfinder because the lens will be stopped down to the aperture you have selected which is quite small.

I recommend you reset all the camera settings to default factory settings. I don't know how to do this but I'm sure there is a menu item for that.

Then use the recommendations in the 2nd article but I suggest you use the camera in "Green" mode if it has it (i.e. full auto) first and then try manual so you know what to look for. You can see what the auto mode gives you and base your manual settings on that. As suggested in the 2nd article you will probably want to increase the aperture and decrease the shutter speed a little as they suggest.

As you use the camera, you will become more familiar and can start looking at changing the factory settings to something you prefer. Typically, the factory settings are excellent but many people make minor setting changes as the decide what they like and dislike.

All the best!
Thanks for this...I did set back to factory settings as you suggested and then went back to advice no 2 and 3. He said remove lens and that was what was causing the problem! I hadn't fitted lens properly...feel a fool but I am new to this game. Excited now to get started and thanks for telling me about my lens being a new one ...I had no idea.