Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I'm not Lauren, but maybe I may write a few things too:
That would be cool. Articles are sort of like a special post and often take the form of a tutorial. There is a section on this site for that kind of thing. Comments are allowed as with other posts.

BTW...M Mode with manual WB? That is what we do in still-photo land when we don't want a minor change in the scene to throw things off.

Steve

11-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That would be cool. Articles are sort of like a special post and often take the form of a tutorial. There is a section on this site for that kind of thing. Comments are allowed as with other posts.

BTW...M Mode with manual WB? That is what we do in still-photo land when we don't want a minor change in the scene to throw things off.

Steve
The reason why I would prefer it that way is because otherwise something as simple as a person with a black shirt, or a red shirt, ... may throw off the whole picture and confuse the camera. So the ability to lock things down at times makes sense. If you're going to a place that is darker or brighter, maybe unlock the AE-L early enough so the camera can adjust gracefully.

M mode doesn't exist in the K-5, which is frustrating, but AE-L does half way compensate. I use manual WB (with stills I don't care, I'll fix it in Lightroom). The reason why WB-L would be nice IMHO is that the automatic WB often does a fine job that might be hard to do (or I am just not good enough) quickly, letting the camera get it right and then lock it down seems rather convenient, though not professional.
11-12-2014, 10:42 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You are one of the few working pros here that do video with their Pentax, so yeah, you know what you're doing better than pretty much anyone else here.
I would like to see Lauren do an article on leveraging Pentax video covering both the strong and the weak points of the system and how to make it all work together. Notes on PP, editing tools, and final video format would be appreciated too.

Please, Lauren! Please!

Steve

(...really would like to see more positive video contributions...)
Very kind words!

I use the K3 almost every day.

I shoot videos in my studio, in other people's workspaces, inside and outside on location. I also pivot into photography mode with the same cameras usually during the same shoots. I do people, events, product shots, green screen - you name it. There may be niggles here and there, but as a tool, I just LOVE my Pentax cameras. The K5 broke open the doors, but the K3 made things happen.

Thanks to Pentax for NOT coming out with a camera-du-jour. Thanks that we use a camera for years, learn it, and become familiar with it as a tool. I love having the K3 at the core of my workflow. No complaints. None.

I pioneered a new group, and our work continues to get noticed by more and more people in the company. I have a team of 5 people that work for me now - and we continue to grow.

Why?

Our official camera is the K3. It is our standard piece of gear that we are outfitting my team with. People see what I/we produce, and notice Pentax is the core of my gear. With a realistic budget, we have more cameras for more shots. Our investment is essentially covered with the first project. Real life situations that enable me to have the other cool toys (more software and render machines) that up my production value. Make no mistake. If you blow a budget on a C1/3/500 or Red or 1DC you either ask for more money for the other toys, or you walk a dangerous tightrope because your output had better deliver. If you are in this business for bragging rights that's one thing. I'm in it to make money (and do some cool creative things I only dreamed about). I can make more varied products because I am a low (relative) cost department.

So many things I do because Pentax is at my core.

With Pentax you get excellent quality at a GREAT price point. What is not to like?

A camera is more than the sum of it's technical specifications. In 2014, with most day to day "get-er-done" video that pays the bills, is 1080p 30fps, there is nothing the K3 can't do.

The Adobe suite and the Pentax K3 make an excellent foundation for whatever me or my team imagines.

It's working.

11-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M mode doesn't exist in the K-5
M mode does exist for video on the K-3, K-30, and K50. Ditto for manual WB, so I guess that is evidence that Ricoh/Pentax does a few things right.

Steve

11-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Thank you Lauren!

M mode does exist for video on the K-3, K-30, and K50. Ditto for manual WB, so I guess that is evidence that Ricoh/Pentax does a few things right.

Steve
WB exists on the K-5 too. But you have to fix it from the start, and I don't think it lets me take the current WB as a basis...

Yup. Pentax did a few things right in terms of video in the K-3 (and to a lesser extent the other cameras). Mostly you have much more control now, which is great.