Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 06:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

I need to shoot a video and I have no idea what I'm doing

Later today, I might need to shoot a video, and I have no idea what I'm doing. It would be about an hour long, indoors, a guy talking and maybe walking around, maybe with or without a projector screen-- your basic academic talk. I have my K-3, a tripod, the 31mm Limited, and the 77mm Limited. What do I need to do in terms of...anything, really? I'm sorry to have to thrust this on you all without having done any research first, but my yesterday got eaten up with something unexpected, and then my morning got eaten up with something else unexpected, and here I am.

11-11-2014, 07:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would use the 77. Be prepared to pan sideways to follow the person. Read the manual for how to start and stop videos.
11-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Be prepared to restart the recording at times as you will hit limits sooner or later. So when you see an opportunity to restart the recording, do it.
11-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You will probably want to focus manually so stay alert during the filming. If at all possible do some practice videos at the venue so you have some idea what to expect.

11-11-2014, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No Problem using the K3.

It doesn't overheat no matter what.

Use the 77mm.

Shoot at f/4, 1/60th and somewhere around ISO 1600-3200.

Have your settings for 1080p and 30fps.

Make sure you are in manual mode, and use the "ok" button to make sure your focus is spot on.

Indoors make sure your color temp is correct for either tungsten/fluorescent/daylight.

Start and stop when possible so you don't get a big-honk'n file.

Use the IR remote to start and stop or get one from the Android store.

Have fun, and be smooth.
11-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have anything for audio? I guess it you are relatively close to the speaker the onboard mic will do.

Also, out of curiosity, is this footage for yourself or for some audience?
11-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this is really where a one touch manual focus zoom comes in handy, but, given the options go with the 77. tripod would be handy also, as well as spare batteries or power adaptor.

11-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
No Problem using the K3.

It doesn't overheat no matter what.

Use the 77mm.

Shoot at f/4, 1/60th and somewhere around ISO 1600-3200.

Have your settings for 1080p and 30fps.

Make sure you are in manual mode, and use the "ok" button to make sure your focus is spot on.

Indoors make sure your color temp is correct for either tungsten/fluorescent/daylight.

Start and stop when possible so you don't get a big-honk'n file.

Use the IR remote to start and stop or get one from the Android store.

Have fun, and be smooth.
pretty much this really.the remote is a must
11-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone! I ended up not having to record the talk, but I'll keep this in mind for if this situation ever comes up again!
11-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

One major addition is turn of SR. Other than that, what Lauren says, Lauren knows best. Good luck, if this situation comes up again.
11-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
One major addition is turn of SR. Other than that, what Lauren says, Lauren knows best. Good luck, if this situation comes up again.
LOL. Too funny.
Nope, I know just enough to keep my Pentaxian status up-to-date.
11-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
LOL. Too funny.
Nope, I know just enough to keep my Pentaxian status up-to-date.
You are one of the few working pros here that do video with their Pentax, so yeah, you know what you're doing better than pretty much anyone else here.
11-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
You are one of the few working pros here that do video with their Pentax, so yeah, you know what you're doing better than pretty much anyone else here.
I would like to see Lauren do an article on leveraging Pentax video covering both the strong and the weak points of the system and how to make it all work together. Notes on PP, editing tools, and final video format would be appreciated too.

Please, Lauren! Please!

Steve

(...really would like to see more positive video contributions...)
11-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, today I went to another talk that the gentleman I was supposed to film gave, and for THAT talk, the organizers had hired some kind of actual film crew, as well as a professional photographer with two very serious-looking full-frame cameras with massive zoom lenses. I think it was a lot more enjoyable for everyone for me not to film the previous day's talk!
11-12-2014, 07:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would like to see Lauren do an article on leveraging Pentax video covering both the strong and the weak points of the system and how to make it all work together. Notes on PP, editing tools, and final video format would be appreciated too.

Please, Lauren! Please!

Steve

(...really would like to see more positive video contributions...)
I second that.

I'm not Lauren, but maybe I may write a few things too:

The weak points would, for cameras after the K-5 be no stabilisation, unless you use one of the very rare stabilised lenses for Pentax, so the solution is SR off + tripods, sliders, jibs, glidecams, ... K-5 and earlier are much more forgiving with SR on.

Codec is another weak point after the K-5, so too much movement, too much detail isn't good. Also turn down the sharpening... it adds detail that needs to be compressed and takes away valuable space from the actual content. This is also advisable for the K-5 and previous cameras... try to make things easy for the encoder. I like a muted profile with turned down saturation... I can always add saturation later, but I want to avoid that the colors are "tilting".

Lock down exposure while shooting, the AE-L button does that. That way a guy walking past in a black shirt won't make the exposure change. Personally I also fix the white balance (it would be neat to have an unused button reassigned to WB-L... AE-L, but for white balance, and it only may go away if you press the button again).