Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K5II Over Exposure anyone had theirs fixed ?

I have a new K5II and the exposure is driving me crazy, just can't take a picture without having to " correct " the camera.
as an example with the K5II iso 100 f 6.3 uses 1/50 and is clearly overexposed, same scene with an old Nik D200 same f , focual length and iso is at 1/125
and right on. Same with a panasonic and my Q.
Have to either set the Low Key to -4 or ev at -7 to compensate. Then if the light changes it I have to play at it again !
Also does not seem to change anything from center weight or matrix.
Just don't want to go through the trouble to ship and have them say it is within spec..

11-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

well there's several questions that need to be answered first:

what's metering mode?
shooting mode?
focus points? center/multi?
is ae-l engaged?
what is subject?
what's the histogram look like?
what lens are you using?
what are you basing the "overexposure" on? prints? lcd screen?
perhaps the other camera is underexposing? or a little of both?

all of these answers will paint a much clearer picture of the problem.
we need a lot more info to offer informed opinions

btw 1/50 to 1/125 of a second is 1.3 EV difference which is not close to +/-4 or even 7.
11-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A -4 or -7 compensation suggests a faulty metering system. Are you sure you were in matrix mode?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
100 f 6.3 uses 1/50 and is clearly overexposed, same scene with an old Nik D200 same f , focual length and iso is at 1/125
This is only about one stop different, not +7. Something is fishy. What exposure mode (M, Av, Tv, P, TAv) are you using. Also, what lens.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-11-14 at 02:34 PM ----------

Hmmmm...I just though of something. "Low Key" at -4? That may be a bracket setting. Are you set to bracket exposures by any chance?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-11-2014 at 03:37 PM.
11-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have a new K5II and the exposure is driving me crazy, just can't take a picture without having to " correct " the camera.
as an example with the K5II iso 100 f 6.3 uses 1/50 and is clearly overexposed, same scene with an old Nik D200 same f , focual length and iso is at 1/125
and right on. Same with a panasonic and my Q.
Have to either set the Low Key to -4 or ev at -7 to compensate. Then if the light changes it I have to play at it again !
Also does not seem to change anything from center weight or matrix.
Just don't want to go through the trouble to ship and have them say it is within spec..
Sticky lens aperture? Is the lens closing down when you shoot? If its stuck wide open, then it will overexpose a lot in moderate light.
11-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Possibly a thick question of mine - But are you finding this problem with different lenses?
And;
Are you finding this problem in Green Mode?
11-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Across the board, any lens. No problem with my KX. Just always too bright, no additional settings, changes.
Just poor metering.
Was wanting to know if anyone had theirs serviced to their satisfaction.
11-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Across the board, any lens. No problem with my KX. Just always too bright, no additional settings, changes.
Just poor metering.
Thanks for clarifying that. On that basis, it does sound as if you have an issue.
Are you using the latest firmware for your camera? Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

11-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter

To the best of my knowledge, you are the only one who reported this problem, though based on your description, it is not clear what problem you are having.

Please post example photos with full exif data intact and we may be able to help you figure out if your problem is a matter of configuration.

If you are already convinced you have a metering problem, you should contact Ricoh for service options.

Based on the data you provided in your original post, it appears that your meter is correct, but the actual exposure is not. The most likely cause is the aperture actuator on the body or the aperture mechanism in the lens. You can test the body by putting the camera in B mode with the aperture set at minimum for the lens. Depress the shutter release and confirm that the lens shuts all the way down. Repeat for other aperture settings in full stop increments.

To test the lens mechanism, remove the lens from the camera flick the aperture actuator. Confirm that the blades operate smoothly with snappy action.

Steve
11-12-2014, 12:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
had a problem with my k-50 and underexposure. it was a faulty aperture lever not locking properly into place. it was still under warranty, so I sent it in for repair.
11-12-2014, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Going to send it in for service, seeing that the weather is bad won't be using it anyways.
Thanks for the replys
11-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Going to send it in for service, seeing that the weather is bad won't be using it anyways.
Thanks for the replys
Good luck!
12-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Exposure still way off, Eg a pic in a normally lit room looks like there is a 1000 watt bulb on !
Do the same with my ancient Nikon d200 and the pic looks just what I am seeing with my bare eyes, this is what a camera
is supposed to do.
Hell with the EV adjusting Bs.
Pentax just does not have it with the metering and gives no way to adjust it.
12-14-2014, 09:01 PM - 4 Likes   #14
Site Supporter

Hell with the EV adjusting Bs.
Pentax just does not have it with the metering and gives no way to adjust it.
From my perspective:
  • You posted an ambiguous complaint of a fairly unique problem phrased as if it were commonplace
  • Many people offered to help, but needed more information
  • You did not respond in a meaningful way to any of those comments or queries
  • You did not post a single example photo
  • You finished up with a generic condemnation of the brand* despite being rather alone in the types of problems you claim to be having
My more charitable self wants to give your sincerity the benefit of the doubt. My cynical self says that you were not wanting assistance. My cynical self is winning out after having reviewed your posting history. You claim deep experience and are obviously not a noob. You are able to read the manual and should know the features on your camera. You are also experienced enough to be able to spot a malfunction that would require service. You don't need my help or the help of any of the other users who responded to your post. I would suggest that you not post rants in the troubleshooting/help section and instead put your opinions in the forums where you will receive a broader and more critical evaluation of your claims.

All that being said, I would suggest that Nikon (makers of your favored D200) might be a good choice instead of Pentax. That way you could enjoy a fault rate of over 6% for cameras out the door, but will also enjoy their superior AF system and industry-leading flash integration.

Steve

* Sentiment echoed on several of your other comments on other threads on this site

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-14-2014 at 09:07 PM.