Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2014, 11:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Mark inside the lens - a problem?

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 50mm D-FA 2.8 Macro lens from KEH and I'm really happy with the pictures that I am getting. However today when I was cleaning the lens I found there was a mark inside the border of the side which goes in the camera body. I am posting a picture and circled it in red. Do you think this could be a problem? Since its a full frame lens maybe the problem is not noticeable in my K-30, but if I ever use a FF camera then it might be evident on the picture. I still am within the 14 day return period, its been 10 days. so I am wondering whether I should return it.
Please help me out!

PS: I tried cleaning it, but its on the other side (not outside)

Attached Images

Last edited by donpjt; 11-12-2014 at 11:16 PM.
11-12-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is difficult to tell from the images but if it is fungus it could be a problem. Was the problem noted in the description? If not I would give them a call or return it.
11-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Hard to tell from the photo but it could be fungus, especially if it looks webby or growth-like up close. It is possible its just a smudge or something, cant tell from the photo. If it doesnt clean off I'd send it back
11-13-2014, 12:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it wasn't mentioned in the description, I'd send it back without delay within that 14-day period. For one thing, I'd feel cheated. And then imperfections on the rear lens tend to have a much larger effect on IQ than those on front lenses.

Now, you're saying you are happy with your images, and maybe it's just my general gear pickiness, which hasn't let me buy used yet. However, what conceivably could be fungus in a lens purchase is a no-go in my book. Ultimately, it's your call.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 11-13-2014 at 12:12 AM. Reason: typo
11-13-2014, 03:28 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I would definitely return it, except if the price was so damn good, you can send it for cleaning and still consider it a good deal.
11-13-2014, 03:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks like fungus. I would suggest you return the lens.
11-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the input! I got the RMA and they said they would get it exchanged as they have another one with them now. Hopefully that one will turn out to be a better one. I purchased the lens in EX condition from KEH. I was surpised to see the mark and even more surprised I did not catch it when I inspected it the day I received it. Must have been too excited :P All in all I got it for 280 shipped, not exactly a great deal, but a good one

11-13-2014, 07:47 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by donpjt Quote
I was surpised to see the mark and even more surprised I did not catch it when I inspected it the day I received it.
KEH has super good post-sale support and replacement response. Usually they are also very, very accurate in regard to condition. I am surprised this slipped past them.

Steve
11-14-2014, 08:06 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
KEH has super good post-sale support and replacement response. Usually they are also very, very accurate in regard to condition. I am surprised this slipped past them.

Steve
I was also pretty surprised that they missed it. Either way I put in a pic of the problem with the return just to make sure they don't miss it again and sell it with that problem to someone else
11-15-2014, 07:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

or at least ask for a partial refund and keep the lens. But make sure its not fungus! And either way write an email about it to keh. Then you can still wait or talk it over.