Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2014, 01:58 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Where is the yellow colour coming from?

Hey guys,

I'm shooting a red flower and at most of the settings I see yellow colour all over the red colour on the live view or on the final picture.

Does anybody know where this is coming from? Is this a fault of lens? or a sign of photo being overexposed?

The camera is K5 IIs and the lens is SMS Pentax 1.2 M

I'll try to post a picture here

11-13-2014, 02:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

maybe wrong white balance.

edit. oops sorry i didn't read properly.

Last edited by beachgardener; 11-13-2014 at 04:23 AM.
11-13-2014, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Samwise.Gamgee Quote
'm shooting a red flower and at most of the settings I see yellow colour all over the red colour on the live view or on the final picture.

That is the Live view overexposure/underexposure indicator - it won't appear up in the captured image. To turn it off, access tab 4 in the camera menu >Live view> bright/dark area>
11-13-2014, 04:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
That is the Live view overexposure/underexposure indicator - it won't appear up in the captured image. To turn it off, access tab 4 in the camera menu >Live view> bright/dark area>
This. The "blinkies".
If it's red, then it's overexposed and you lose detail because of clipping.
If it's yellow, then it's underexposed and you lose detail because of clipping on the other side of the histogram.

11-13-2014, 04:19 AM   #5

Original Poster
This is the photo

I'll check that but as shown above I see this even in the captured shot

---------- Post added 11-13-14 at 03:03 PM ----------

Another shot from the same flower (different settings)

11-13-2014, 04:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see this even in the captured shot
That is called overexposure, you need to give a -2 stop exposure compensation to capture a red subject like that properly.

As I have said before the over/underexposure indicators will not appear in the final image.
11-13-2014, 04:57 AM   #7

Original Poster
That is called overexposure, you need to give a -2 stop exposure compensation to capture a red subject like that properly.

As I have said before the over/underexposure indicators will not appear in the final image.
Thanks for your help Digitalis, but I have trouble understanding what you mean

I have posted the final image and the yellow colour is appearing in it !?! so how come you saying it will not appear in the final image

and why is this happening just for the red flower? does this having anything to do with colour red?

instead of -2 stop exposure compensation (-2 EV Compensation), can I close the shutter, two stops?

11-13-2014, 05:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for your help Digitalis, but I have trouble understanding what you mean

I have posted the final image and the yellow colour is appearing in it !?! so how come you saying it will not appear in the final image

and why is this happening just for the red flower? does this having anything to do with colour red?

instead of -2 stop exposure compensation (-2 EV Compensation), can I close the shutter, two stops?
Nope, those are not "blinkies"...
It looks like a color shift of some sort... did you check your White Balance?

Maybe some overexposure in the red channel...
Reds are notoriously difficult to be rendered properly on digital cameras...

Check this thread as well:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/276739-what-about-red.html
11-13-2014, 06:23 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hi LensBeginner,

You seem to be right. Below I'm comparing the raw (PEF) and JPEG and the raw file doesn't seem to have this issue. So you're guessing the WB might be going this?
I'll keep reading your link regarding shooting red colour

11-13-2014, 06:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi LensBeginner,

You seem to be right. Below I'm comparing the raw (PEF) and JPEG and the raw file doesn't seem to have this issue. So you're guessing the WB might be going this?
I'll keep reading your link regarding shooting red colour
Looking at them side to side, it looks like the sum of multiple factors...
Saturation and slight overexposure of the more luminous part cause (I believe) clipping in the red channel.
Camera RAW should use the values your camera records as far as WB is concerned... which mode did you use, auto?
It seems more like an oversaturation(and/or overexposure) issue... try paying a visit to the HSL panel in Camera RAW and further reduce Luminance and Saturation with the "Reds" slider, also try adjusting the Hue sliders in the affected colors.

That often does the trick.
Also check that your WB is correct (should be at or around 5500K in daylight).
11-13-2014, 06:37 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, that color shift is probably white balance issues - the software is good but can still be fooled.
Though this kind of color change can also be overexposure - you'll need to play with your RAW processing, where oversaturation can be reduced.
11-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

that will do the trick.
11-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it could be blinkies but they only show in live view. Not what is bothering OP. White balance would affect the whole image so its not that either. Jpeg mode wouldnt do that but it can affect colours. Digitalis is right. Its overexposure because flower leaves are so reflective. Use highlight correction or ev+/-. A polarizing filter might also help. These reduce glare.
11-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #14

I agree that it is probably overexposure. I shoot a lot of flower shots and have experienced similar results - especially shooting red (or pink) and also yellow flowers. Underexposing a bit generally does the trick. White balance can also play a part. I tend to like "warmer" shots, but I generally have to go a little "cooler" when shooting red and yellow flowers.
11-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I make sure to always show the RGB histogram in playback when shooting flowers or red subjects.
You'd be surprised at the variance between the channels, and how often a single channel clips while the luminance histogram says you're fine...