Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #1

Pentax Q alternative lenses

Recently I got a Pentax Q10 for my wife. It is a really neat little camera.

Only the choice of available lenses is very limited. It is very easy to find a c-mount-adapter, or other adapters to mount foreign lenses to this camera. Clearly, none of these adapted lenses will work with autofocus nor automatic aperture.
In most cases you can adapt lenses made for reflex cameras which are very large for the use with this camera, using a special adapter. You will have then -A lens with a camera mounted on it- in most cases. Also, by the crop factor every lens will be a tele lens for this camera.
I ask myself wether it is possible to adapt a lens from a vintage video camera. I did alredy some research: For example, the Sony Triton HVC-3000P has internal a sensor of a similar size, effectively slightly larger. So, if you find an adapter to mount its lens to the Pentax Q you will have a 7x zoom lens for this camera, whithout a crop factor. Is there anybody with experiences in this subject? I think the only question is, to find, or produce an adequate adapter.

11-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #2

Pardon my ignorance, but how would that be different from using a C-mount zoom lens with adaptor?
11-13-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are in luck ! There is a wealth of experience with adapted lenses in this thread.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...ce-thread.html
In the last few pages user @rendition has modded old movie camera lenses for use on the Q.
11-13-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Totally forgot about that thread. WOW! Great work on that. I have some lenses tested...er...used with the Q and Q7. I'll have to do some work and post a few more.

11-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
Romay, It is not really an alternative to a c-mount adaptor. Vintage video cameras may have a c-mount lens, I dn't know. Anyway, I think of a low budget solution for a good lens.
crewl1, thanks for the tread.
11-15-2014, 07:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

when adapting lenses three things are important. Lens mount diameter, register distance, and only then the image circle. If you find this info you can try. If you do please post about the results
11-16-2014, 04:22 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the hints. I am busy to find these informations about lenses to be adapted. The image cicle will be O.K. when the lens to be adapted is designed for a larger sensor than the Pentax Q-sensor, which is a 1/2.3inch-sensor (6,2 x 4,6 mm). But not for a too large sensor, since my interest is to have a camera with minimal physical dimensions. Lenses for larger sensors, or with bigger image circles will pysically be bigger than necessary.
See sensor sizes:
Glossary: Sensor Sizes: Digital Photography Review, or:
Image sensor format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So, lenses from 8mm analogue movie cameras will have a too small image circle. See examples in the above link, example pictures have black corners. I have won a camcorder for 1 Euro (delivery costs more). I will see if I can adapt the lens to the Q. Unfortunately I could not find technical information about this vintage camcorder. To me it is interesting to have a wide range zoom which is standard to those camcorders (mainly 8x, sometimes even 10x zoom).
If there are new results I will post them.

11-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luobo Quote
Thanks for the hints. I am busy to find these informations about lenses to be adapted. The image cicle will be O.K. when the lens to be adapted is designed for a larger sensor than the Pentax Q-sensor, which is a 1/2.3inch-sensor (6,2 x 4,6 mm). But not for a too large sensor, since my interest is to have a camera with minimal physical dimensions. Lenses for larger sensors, or with bigger image circles will pysically be bigger than necessary.
See sensor sizes:
Glossary: Sensor Sizes: Digital Photography Review, or:
Image sensor format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So, lenses from 8mm analogue movie cameras will have a too small image circle. See examples in the above link, example pictures have black corners. I have won a camcorder for 1 Euro (delivery costs more). I will see if I can adapt the lens to the Q. Unfortunately I could not find technical information about this vintage camcorder. To me it is interesting to have a wide range zoom which is standard to those camcorders (mainly 8x, sometimes even 10x zoom).
If there are new results I will post them.
There is at least one guy in the Q forum who has been adapting 8mm movie camera lenses successfully. You might want to check the adapted lens section of the Q forum on PF.
11-17-2014, 02:53 AM   #9

luobo,

It may really be a good idea for you to buy a C-mount or even a D-mount adaptor for your Q. There are many great lenses out there, many of them are indeed old film (movie) camera lenses (video cameras maybe not so much).
You maybe already found lots of examples in that other thread. As has been said, don't worry about the image circle. 8mm movie camera lenses will work (tried many of those myself).

What I can recommend is the Schneider Kreuznach Optivaron 1.8 6-66 for your Q. It covers everything from moderate wide angle to super tele and comes with a "macro" setting that allows you to focus on stuff that basically touches the front element. It is a big lens, though.

If you don't mind the longer focal length, I strongly recommend the Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 17mm/0.95, 25mm/0.95 and 50mm/0.95
They are sold fairly cheap and very sharp stopped down. Wide open you get super nice blurry background. Size is comparable to the standard zoom.

If you want a compact lens the D-mount is the way to go, but here you may need some research on the image circle or just trial&error.
I tried some D-mount lenses but sold them all only kept the C-mount ones I recommended above.

Many movie lenses (including the Optivaron) are telecentric on the image-side. That means, register distance is most critical. If the register distance is even slightly off with those lenses, you won't get a sharp picture, ever, no matter how you focus.
You therefore may need to shim the lens correctly.

Aperture won't have click stops and this is a bigger problem than it seems, since most movie camera lenses have motorized aperture. Once you remove the motor, the aperture ring will just float, it doesn't offer any resistance whatsoever. You can apply some grease, though, that dampens it (need to use that super expensive lens grease or it will ruin your aperture blades over time). Some of them have threads where you can put a m2 or m3 thumbscrew to tighten the aperture ring.

Some movie lenses have a spot filter (dark at the center) to counter vignetting. You can remove that filter sometimes, but usually this is a complicated task as the filter sits near the aperture blades. I recommend just not to adapt those kind of lenses.

It's your call, but I wouldn't recommend trying to get that Sony Triton lens at all costs. If that lens was easily removable/adaptable, it would already be circulating the used lens markets. My guess would be that either the lens is some integral part of the camera and can't be easily adapted or it's already available on ebay, but with no reference to the camera it was mounted on.
It may or may not come with a spot filter that may or may not be removable. Just go that Sony Triton route if you definitely know that the lens can be easily unmounted from the camera and that is has manual aperture and focusing.

I'm writing you that because I made an expensive mistake several years back (funny enough, same situation: needed a cheap, fast lens for my new Q). I bought a ridiculously overpriced TV camera and extracted the lens which I thought to be a 8mm/0.95. Short story, I managed to adapt the lens after a hard struggle, but the aperture stayed fixed and the image quality was terrible. Movie lenses are movie lenses, after all. Then bought the Schneider lenses and never looked back.